Help with RENFE

Mar 25th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Help with RENFE

I'm trying to register with RENFE as a new customer so I can buy a ticket. It is requiring me to enter 'N.I.F.', but I can't find an explanation what that is. Can anybody help me out? thanks.
Mar 25th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

OK, I managed to figure out how to complete the registration, but now it won't let me book. I'm trying to book for May 23 and I think it's telling me the day is blocked. It's within 60 days, but maybe the system still isn't ready to accept a booking. I'll try later. Any insights?
Mar 26th, 2006, 08:23 AM

It might be helpful if you can switch over to the English version on the ticketing homepage.
I believe the NIF refers to Spain's national ID number. As I am a US citizen I entered my liscence number and it allowed me to proceed with my booking. You have to pick up the tickets at the train station (as opposed to priting them out at home) if you are a first time buyer. Good luck.
Mar 26th, 2006, 08:31 AM

When I struggled with RENFE I wrote to their email address for help and got a quick and informative reply, if you'd like to give that a try. As I recall, that NIF number is the number on your passport (as much of it as will fit). Also, I experienced failed attempts because my credit card had a block on rail ticket purchases (apparently they're fraught with fraud??) The credit card company tried to help me unblock it but finally I used another card and it worked. Good luck!
Mar 26th, 2006, 08:32 AM

I guess Gary figured out out to register -- you don't have to use the English site to do that, I'm American and have totally used the Spanish side with no problem. I just entered my passport number for the national ID, as far as the number allowed me.

I didn't have any trouble buying a ticket, so don't know exactly what the problem could be -- what is the message exactly (is it in Spanish?) What ticket are you trying to book? I don't know what a day being "blocked" would mean. I only bought one ticket so encountered no problems, but I seem to recall for a new user, you are only allowed to book one ticket online (or maybe one order) before you go to the station to pick up that one, and then they allow you to use the website to book more tickets.
Mar 26th, 2006, 08:50 AM

Hi again -- re: how many tickets a first-time user can order online, you can order as many as you like (I did four), but no tickets will be issued until you've come into a RENFE station and shown them your ID and credit card for the first ticket ordered.
Mar 26th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. The message is "Tren bloqueado en venta para esta dia." Until I can figure out this site, I'm also checking out buses from Madrid to Granada and I've found a really good booking site. They are more frequent than the train and I wouldn't have to get up and leave so early in the morning.
Mar 26th, 2006, 12:51 PM

Gary,

That means that the sale of seats on that train are blocked that day( for whatever reason)
Mar 26th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Yes,thanks, cruiseluv
Mar 27th, 2006, 12:52 PM

yes, that is pretty obvious, I didn't realize it was going to be so literal. Don't know, never saw that. I just tried that route and day and it didn't have any message like that, although I didn't try to go through with the purchase, of course. It showed me schedules, times and prices no problem.

I think the bus can be a good idea for that route, which is very long by Talgo train. You can go by AVE to Seville, and then from Seville to Granada in slightly less time train total, but it costs a lot more and you'd have to get there about the same time in the morning, and you don't get there any sooner due to the transfer time.

I've taken a couple buses in Spain and they were pretty comfortable, I'd go for that.

Search this Thread