Search

Help with Munich timing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2017, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Munich timing

Hi,

I'll have about 7.5 days between Munich and Salzburg at the end of August. Haven't booked my train yet, but I 'll do that soon. I'll land from the US about 1 pm on Saturday and leave early for Salzburg the following Thursday, to have three full days there before flight back to the US Sunday morning.

Salzburg seems doable to me: Two full days and a third day for sidetrip to Hallstat. But, I'm really struggling with Munich.

For Munich, I want a day trip to the Ludwig castle and two full days for Museum district. This leaves me 1.5 days for everything else, which isn't enough time. I was thinking a half day (maybe the first day I arrive) for Nymphenburg, which would really leave a full day for everything else.

How should I make the most of that one other day? Or, is there a place to take from to get a bit more time beyond just my one day for everything else? I'll try to maximize as I can (i.e., attending some museums on the late night, when I can, etc.) to get in really full days.

Thank you.
Old Jun 17th, 2017, 02:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you planning to visit the Residenze?

Which Ludwig build are you planning to visit?
Old Jun 17th, 2017, 03:22 PM

I can't speak to Nymphenburg but Residenze is worth a visit and it's right in the main city center.

I went on a month-long backpacking trip to Europe and we ended up spending 2 days (1 full and 2 half days) in Munich and 3 in Salzburg.

Here's my trip write up with photos, itinerary, and recommendations:
Munich: http://fanofblank.blogspot.com/2017/...nd-berlin.html
Salzburg and Vienna: https://fanofblank.blogspot.com/2017...nd-vienna.html

Enjoy your trip planning!
Old Jun 17th, 2017, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Yes re the Residenze. Still undecided about Ludwig - was hoping for a three-pack of Neuschwanstein, Hohensschwangau and Linderhof, maybe as part of a tour, but I don't think all three are possible.
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 03:17 AM

I suggest you reconsider visiting the Residenz unless you are a committed historian. Or study up before you go and limit your tour to whatever you specifically want to see inside rather than do the whole slog. It's a huge reconstructed palace and most of it is utterly boring state offices or uninspired private rooms. The treasury -- which is small and can be toured separately -- has some masterpieces.

There are a couple of art museums in Munich whose collections are unique to the local city and Bavarian culture, while others are encylocpedic European museums housing works from other parts of Europe. If you specifically want to see some masterpieces in those encyclopaedic museums, by all means do, but it can be most rewarding to see the unique collections in the Bayerisches Nationalmuseum and in the Lenbachhaus. I also highly recommend stopping by St. Johann Nepomuk (Asam Kirke/church), which is about a 20 minute walk from the Marienplatz.

I would also point out that in August you might want to make some time for the Englischer gardens. Possibly the vast majority of the city's residents will have escaped the city for their August holidays, but the gardens are still an important part of today's culture in Munich, and you might want to get a glimpse of that.
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 04:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Viktualienmarkt, Englischer gardens, BMW tour, beer halls, beautiful churches and history. There is so much to see and do in Munich. Ludwig's castles are so overrated. Linderhof grounds are pretty and if you go via Oberammergau then yes do it.
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I was planning to focus on the art museums rather than BWM or maybe even Nationalmuseum, but I should fit at least one of those in.

I didn't realize the Residenz was so blah. Maybe I can skip that - this will help me save time. Especially if I do other palaces.

I can't really shake the desire to visit the Ludwig palaces, but I can't think of a way to visit N, H and L all in the same day, even as part of a tour. The transport just sounds tricky.

Yes, English gardens I will definitely find some time for (that can be done early or late so as to not miss prime sightseeing time).
Old Jun 20th, 2017, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Any other thoughts?
Old Jun 20th, 2017, 11:50 AM

Dachau?

Herrenchiemsee is my favorite Mad Ludwig Palace - the Bavarian Versailles on an island in the Chiemsee - take train to Prien then walk or toy steam train if running to the docks. The lake is as nice as the castle.