Help with layover in Munich please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2003, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend's young daughter is going on a school trip to Italy and will have a six hour stop over in Munich. Is this enough time to get into the city? And what is the quickest way? How could they best use their time? They'd love to be able to see some of Munich. Would they have enough time to take a quick tour? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 06:24 PM

That is a tough question to answer.<BR>The S-Bahn makes the trip to the center of Munich in about 45 minutes from the airport. <BR><BR>There is also a Lufthansa bus that goes into town with a destination near the main train station.<BR><BR>But you must allow time to clear customs and immigration, and then get into town, then get back to the airport, and then board the flight to Italy.<BR><BR>Security screening for flights within Europe has in my experience been far less stringent than it is for international flights.<BR><BR>Last year we flew from Munich to Helsinki and the security checking was minimal. For the flight home from Munich, we needed 2 hours to get through the preboarding inspection.<BR><BR>Given the time debits to clear customs, ride into town, return, and reboard, you are looking at perhaps 3 hours to see something in Munich. Is it worth it?<BR><BR>I don't know. Your friend's daughter does not know her way around Munich.<BR><BR>I would be very wary of this move. The Munich airport is large and has a large shopping area. She will be able to amuse herself.<BR><BR>Also what does she do if she gets lost trying to find her away around Munich?<BR>Many Bavarians speak English, but I am not sure I would want my daughter wandering around a strange city where she does not speak the native language fluently. (Or does she??)<BR><BR>And what would you see on a quick tour?<BR>A few blurs?<BR>
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Thask very much Bob. It doesn't sound too promising does it?<BR>It's just that they are so excited to be going to Europe, they want to see as much as they can, and seeing even a bit of Munich would be a thrill. I know she wouldn't be going into the city on her own , but rather the whole group would go be going. I'll certainly pass on your advice and they (and the teacher) can decide. Maybe they can decide after they get through immigration and will know at that ttime, how much time they still have.<BR>Thanks...
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 09:28 PM

In three hours you can see quite a lot of Munich!<BR><BR>When you come out of the <BR>hauptbahnhof go straight down the Stachuss to the Marienplatz (about three blocks)<BR><BR>At the Marienplatz you will see the old city square, the Old and New Ratthaus, St Peters (climb to the top on a clear day and see the Alps) and the victualenmarkt for a quick brat and beer.<BR><BR>You will also be very near the Two Sisters church and the Assam Kirke on Sendlinger Strasse. All of that can easily be done in three hours!<BR><BR>US
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 05:04 AM

It's true that you can see some neat sights in Munich in a few hours, but the minimal time away from the airport would mean that you will be terribly rushed, and any delay might get you into a big bind. The potential problems of just keeping a group together, assuming it's more than just 3 or 4 people, can multiply the delays. <BR><BR>The previous advice from Bob Brown seems to hit the nail on the head. I would echo his opinion that you will have at most only 3 hours, probably more like 2, to see anything. If rushing a group to the city and back for a 2 to 3 hour look is worth the risk, then give it a try. I wouldn't do it myself; I'd plan just to stay in the airport terminal and let the group do some shopping and resting.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I will pass it along to my friend and they can decide. It does sound like they would be very rushed and the risk of unforseen delays could be a real problem.<BR>Thanks again.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 02:40 PM

Have a look at the website for Mike's Bike Tours. They offer short cycling and walking tours of the city's major sights. I think this would be the best way for her to see the most in such a short time.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Janine,<BR>What a great idea. I just checked out Mike's website and I like it a lot. <BR>Thanks very much. I'd like to do it myself!