Anyone heard of LCH 1car1 rental?

Old Feb 17th, 2003, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone heard of LCH 1car1 rental?

Hi, Does anyone have any advice on using the company called LCH 1car1 rental company? Thye quoted the lowest price for a 2 week rental out of Gatwick of a small automatic -- 294 pounds. But I have to call them upon arrival at Gatwick. Sounds strange? Any experiences with them would be appreciated!
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 07:57 AM
rex

I have never heard of the, but through out Europe and the US, there are a lot of small locally owned and operated car rental companies like this. They might provide a decent bargain. But the question is - - how far away from London are you going to travel, and if you have a problem in Yorkshire or Scotland or Wales, to whom will you turn for someone to help you?

Best wishes,

Rex
[email protected]
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 01:50 PM

I can tell you they are a very good company.the day before we left for our holiday from the UK to Hawaii we had our car stolen,as we were going to drive from Cardiff to Heathrow in it this was a major problem! very few companies in Cardiff do one way drop offs.when I phoned 1 car1 they only had a people carrier left,but on hearing our dilema let us have it for the price of a economy car!!!
the reason you have to call them is because they will come and pick you up as they are off airport but you dont have to wait for a shuttle bus.
have fun .where are you going?
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 02:20 PM

And to put your mind at ease - It is VERY common practice to have to phone a rental company upon arrival. As Welsh woman says - they come pick you up (sometimes in a van, sometimes in the car you will be getting). The vast majority of car hire firms do not store cars at the airports - their cars are some distance away and they pick up you up.

(And I am sorry - but another instance where Rex is answering something he knows nothing about. 1 Car 1 is definitely NOT a small local company. They have more than 35 branches all over the UK)
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 03:29 PM
rex

You're right, janis... I screwed this up. My answer was meant to be generic, because there certainly are quite a number of small car rental companies in the US and Europe, but I used these two wrong words: "like this". Yahoo lists something like 80-plus car rental companies at http://dir.yahoo.com/Business_and_Ec...United_Kingdom - - and some of them are one-location companies that no doubt offer good service and good rates. This is what I was trying to refer to. Doesn't mitigate my mistake.

I learned something looking at the website http://www.1car1.com - - they have a "van" division, and they have a number of vehicles for 1 or 2 day rentals. This was something that I actually asked about just recently on the thread http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2&tid=34399916

I think I'll go add a note about 1car1 to THAT thread.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 04:35 PM
tom

REX, Caught again! Why is it EVERY single time you mess up an answer you try to wiggle out of it by denying you wrote what everyone can read for themselves? You obviously said small companies like THIS one and kayboo would have trouble in York and Scotland. Plus there is no mention in your post about Europe in 'generic' terms. I am starting to agree with the Rex-haters that you just like to answer everything even when you don't have any personal knowledge of the subject.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 05:03 PM
rex

What wiggle? I said it. I screwed up. I know what I was trying to convey, and I acknowledged that by looking before I leaped, I said something flat wrong about a general concept that is entirely valid. And it was flat wrong about this particular company.

For this someone should be a HATER of me?
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 05:07 PM
rex

And what's with the anger on your one and only other post under this name?

from http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1&tid=34397085

Author: tom
Date: 01/28/2003, 12:14 am

Message: Huh- this family is traveling from England to see the best of northern California. Places like Yosemite, San Francisco, Carmel, AND YOU PEOPLE WANT TO SEND THEM TO BEAUTIFUL(?) SAN JOSE! This is a vacation, not a work trip. San Jose is not a terrible place, but they have limited time and are coming 6,000 miles. Do you really think San Jose is anyplace to send them? NO! That is like telling people to go to Fremont for Cripes Sakes.

??