Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice on how to get from garmisch-partenkirchen back to munich for bright and early flight

Search

Advice on how to get from garmisch-partenkirchen back to munich for bright and early flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if any of you experts out there, had some advice for me. I am traveling from munich to garmisch-partenkirchen via train but I am having a problem of thinking of a way back to the airport. I have an early sunday morning flight, the plane leaves at 9:50. I am hesitant to take the train back because I don't want to miss my plane, the earliest train leaves for munich at 6:50 or so I think and gets to munich 7:20. I am wondering if this is not enough time to check in etc and find where I have to go. Can I take a taxi back? or should I leave garmisch a day early and stay overnight in munich at a hotel. This would be my last resort to stay overnight. I don't know what I should do, any hints would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 07:55 AM

You have ZERO chance of getting from Garmisch to Munich airport in less then two hours by train.

However, I believe there is an earlier train that will get you there around 8pm.

Check this site:http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/oebb.w02/query.exe/en
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 07:56 AM

I would stay in Munich the night before. A taxi would cost quite a bit. And security in Munich is extremely thorough and lengthy
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 07:58 AM

Sorry, I meant that the train will get you to Munich Airport by 8am.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 08:02 AM

Earliest train leaves G-P a little after 5 AM and takes about one hour and a half.

IMO you have all KINDS of chances to get to the airport but up to you.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 08:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,
An alternative could be to spend your last evening in Erding, Germany. We stayed at the Park Hotel (Best Western) which is just down the street from the station, a five minute walk to the very nice old town pedestrian zone of Erding, plus just 20 minutes from the airport. Hope this helps.

Paul
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 08:24 AM

orzo808,

The timetables at www.bahn.de give diffeent times than the ones you posted. Except for Sunday when the first train is one hour later, you can leave Garmisch-Partenkirken at 05:04, change at Muenchen-Pasing, and be at Muenchen Flughafen Terminal at 07:17.

Is that enough time? It all depends upon what time your airline wants you to check in--and how comfortable you are with depending upon the trains running on time. Delays are not likely, but they are always possible due to unforeseen circumstances.
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 08:37 AM

If you want to have aa much time in Garmisch-Partenkirchen (I spelled it right this time!) as possible, you could leave at 23:04 and arrive at the airport at 01:17. Then spend the rest of the night there, guaranteeing that you'll be able to sleep on the plane. See www.sleepinginairports.net.