Search

Towns to stay close to Munich

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2019, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towns to stay close to Munich

Hi Fordorites,

I am travelling to Oberammagau next year to take in the Passion Play with my elderly parents (81 and 85yrs) that are determined to see the spectacle one more time... (they have already seen the play 3 times!!) My sister and I will travel with them. We will stay in Munich for a few days on arrival from Australia to get over the flight before joining a 6 night tour from Slazburg that includes the Passion Play. We are well travelled and have visited many of the surrounding towns before, Fussen, Salzburg etc. Any suggestions for any place close to Munich for a couple of days rest after the tour? Needs to be on the train line so we can get the parents on a plane home to Aus, we will be travelling on to Switzerland.....
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 04:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Freising is where we are staying for two nights before an early am flight. We check out of our apartment in Garmisch and taking the train there for two nights. I am in a hotel very close to train station since we want to do a day trip to Regensburg. We will have already spent a couple of nights in Munich center. It is the Mecure hotel.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 05:04 AM

Freising would be a good choice. As Macross wrote, you can also use it as a hub to explore towns further away from Munich.
Since the new rail connecting between the airport and the NW main line had been completed, you also have direct trains (though just one per hour) from Regensburg or Landshut to Munich Airport.
If the purpose is to stay near Munich (in the vicinity of the airport which is NW of Munich), I think only Freising or Landshut would qualify.
https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Landshut
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 06:46 PM
kja

I'm partial to Heidelberg, but of course, it depends on how you define "close" and what, exactly, you are seeking.
Kudos for making this dream a reality for your parents!
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 09:03 PM

The airport is NE of Munich, not NW.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by jacooper
The airport is NE of Munich, not NW.
OMG.. that's right, of course. Even funnier as MUC was my home airport for 8 years, and I used it almost eveny week LOL