Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with hotel - last night before flight from Rome (FCO)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I am travelling with my parents for two lovely weeks in Italy. I have been searching prior posts for help with where to stay the last night before our flight from FCO (much harder with the new format!). I understand the split between views - stay in Rome/ by the airport. We love Rome and will be staying there at the start of our trip at a great place (Mozart Vivaldi) that we have stayed in before and really like. Our trip then takes us to Naples, Amalfi and back to Rome (couldn't do open jaw because of FF points). I anticipate we will travel back by train to arrive late in the afternoon before our departure. As all will be tired I am really looking for the least stressful way (given parents and luggage) to conclude our trip. I am open to hotels at or near the airport (but am concerned about state of the rooms/availability of shuttles) or staying in Rome (but am worried about getting caught in Rome's morning rush hour traffice - last time we had a stressful hour getting to the airport (used a car service). Would really appreciate your help. Thanks!!
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 09:07 PM

Well I have done both options. Twice we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn at the airport (this is not to be confused with the Hilton Hotel also at the airport). They are in the airport but not by the terminals, rather more towards the boondocks/freight area. But they do provide shuttle service, about 7-10 minute ride, to the terminal area, you just have to sign up for it when you check in for the night.

This is a new hotel and so very clean, up-to-date, modern, etc. There is NOTHING at all around there so basically it is a kind of place to just wind down, relax, and get ready for your flight home the next day. I do recommend the place if you can get a good price and that is your preference.

If you prefer staying IN Rome and taking transportation to the airport the next day, I have done that as well. BUT I made sure to order a limo service taxi rather than a regular taxi from the street. This was also fine. If you had a stressful time of this last time, maybe this is not your best option.

There are pros and cons to both. Good luck on your decision.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:57 PM

My view is always to spend the last night in town to savor every minute of the trip. Since you have needed an hour to get to the airport in the past I would book the car service to allow for that time (or a bit more) so you're not stressed getting to the airport for your flight and enjoy a last look at Rome.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 05:31 AM
ira

Hi McC,

Yje Holiday Inn EUR Parc Medici is an International-style hotel with all of the modcons, and a very good breakfast.

The dinner was pretty good, too.

They have a scheduled shuttle bus to FCO and also to downtown.

Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all.
Ira - thanks very much for the Medici suggestion. I have not seen that one mentioned before and it looks like it may be just what we need, because we could take the shuttle from Termini to the hotel and then take shuttle to FCO in the morning. I am definitely going to make some inquiries on this one. When you were there did you use the shuttle? If so, what did you think?

Flame 123 - did you have any trouble with the shuttle at Hilton Garden?- I have been reading that many people have some trouble with it, and that is one hesitation.

Adrienne - I do understand that view too. If I were on my own I would not be concerned but I know from previous travel experience that after two weeks my parents are a little worn out (to their great credit, for two weeks they climb every stair, hike every hike, see every sight with pleasure)and because we will see Rome at the beginning and have been there twice before I really am looking for easy at that stage.

Thanks!
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 09:30 PM

McCooper - had no trouble at all with the shuttle from Hilton Garden Inn to the terminal in the morning of our flight. We ordered the shuttle at check-in the night before, they run every half hour (or at least did then about a year or so ago when last we were there - don't know if this has changed). And we just got on when it arrived at the front of the hotel. What kind of problems have you been reading about?
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 11:56 PM

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Medici several times.Its perfect for an airport hotel but is out in an industrial park and can be expensive depending on the time of the year and tourism.That said,by the time you schedule your departure from the Holiday Inn for the airport(they have straight schedules) you may end up adding more time than you wanted.I just threw away their schedule from previous years but remember the last shuttle from Rome(coffee shop that Sheraton and Hilton have for shuttle service too)back to the hotel is 1000pm.They run about every two hours to go into Rome and the same for pickup going back to the hotel.

I have since gone with staying in Rome at various small inexpensive hotels and ordering the limoservice "Rome Limoservice" to take us to and from the airport (35 euros last year) and it has always worked out with on time,clean and efficient drivers.

I fly to Rome quite frequently for work and I would allow at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get to the airport in the morning between 7-10am.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 01:11 AM

dutyfree, do you think you would you need that much time to get to FCO on a Sunday morning for a 10 AM flight?
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 04:42 AM
ira

Hi MC,

>...When you were there did you use the shuttle? If so, what did you think?<

The bus arrived on schedule. Got us to the airport in about 10-15 min.

Even if you have to take a cab, it is a quick ride.
Make sure that you arrange for the price ahead of time.
Some cabbies have the habit of taking the long way around - ie, into and out of Rome.

Old Mar 4th, 2009, 04:54 AM

Marianna: I usually leave Rome on Sunday mornings as our week-long trips in the last few years have been from Saturday through Sunday. You do not need to leave as much time at that day and time. The roads have always been quite empty when we have traveled too FCO. Of course, nothing is guaranteed, but I would think an hour is plenty on Sunday mornings. And you are leaving earlier than we usually do..

I would certainly stay in Rome on my last night. And take the 35Euro airport transfer from Rome Shuttle or another good company as Duty Free mentions.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 07:40 AM

We stayed at the Hilton hotel 2 years ago for our last night and will do it again this year as we have 6:15AM flight out of FCO. I thought the hotel was very nice and had a nice bar. There is food there if you don't want to venture out. We had planned to go into Rome for dinner, but we were exhausted so we asked the front desk for a recommendation. They sent us to a small restaurant in Fuminco and it was great. Mostly Italians and a couple obvious tourists all in one area. I thought, OH NO! We're going to be taken for a ride here, but actually, they gave all the English speaking tables the same waiter as his English was the best. We asked for a wine list and he just picked one for us. I thought, great, we just bought an expensive bottle while the house would have been fine. The wine was excellent, so we figured, what the heck it's the last night. Wrong again, great, but super cheap. The whole meal was great and like $50 for 2.

We like that we had a very convenient hotel and didn't lose out on a genuine and delicious last meal. We're looking forward to eating in Fuminco again.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 08:34 AM

Marianna:

I left Rome last Sunday on a 10:30 AM flight. My transfer from the Albergo Cesari near the Pantheon took exactly 40 minutes, we were collected at 7:30 AM and arrived at 8:10.

maytraveller
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 09:11 AM

McCooper-if you are going back to FCO on a Sunday you definitely do not need that much time(sorry-did not know it was a weekend).I would allow an hour though. I think that ROMESHUTTLE was the limo service we used (it was late last night so wasn't clearly thinking). They have always been wonderful when I go to Rome on my own so would also highly recommend them.
Side note-we were delayed one trip almost two hours into FCO and the ROMESHUTTLE driver was still outside of customs waiting with the sign with our name on it-told us that he would never leave anyone no matter how long he waited!I was very pleased as it had been a long night.
Just remember that if you are going back to the states you use the new terminal 5 but I am sure your driver will know that.You do the checkin at terminal 5 and then they bus you over to terminal C.I have not been to FCO in a couple months so maybe that has changed? I fly two FCO's at the end of the month so will let you know if anything has changed.
Old Mar 4th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much - this gives me a lot of options to work with - help from everyone always most appreciated. And ekscrunchy, I was so happy to see your name appear - as I was going to let you know when I got to my Amalfi questions (coming soon!), I was inspired to plan a week in Amalfi at Hotel Floridiana after reading your fabulous trip report. I am so looking forward to following some of the stops on your trip report!
(And dutyfree - thanks, but I am leaving Friday - I think it was another poster who is leaving Sunday).