Reload this Page >

Help with honeymoon itinerary in London, Paris and Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Jane

My husband and I are planning a 3.5 week trip to Europe. We will be spending 2 nights in Edinburgh, 1 week in London, 1 week in Paris, and 1 week in Rome. We would like to use these as our home base and then do day trips to see other areas. I have a couple questions:<BR><BR>1. Any suggestions for day trips? We will do Bath and Stonehenge from London...but what else is here for Paris and Rome?<BR>2. Will we be able to go to Florence and Pisa from Rome 1 day?<BR>3. Are there any day trips south of Rome we could do?<BR>4. Any other comments or suggestions about our plan?<BR><BR>Thank you sooo much!

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 04:58 PM
dan

I have been to Paris, Rome, Florence and Pisa. Florence and Pisa are doable for one day. The only thing is Pisa is the leaning tower, otherwise it is a typical town. Most people gush over Florence and would recommend staying more than one day. <BR> My recommendation would be to leave Paris after 4 or 5 days and go to Venice for 2 or 3 days, then on to Rome. The max you will need for Rome is 4 days. Tours leave daily for Pompei from Rome (4 hours each way). <BR> Where are you staying in Paris? My wife and I &quot;did&quot; Paris in 4 days with no side trips, and loved the city. <BR> <BR>P.S. Go to Venice you will love it!!!

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Jane

Thank you! I really awnt to go to Venice, so maybe that will work for our budget....I dont know where we will be staying in Paris yet..doyou have some suggestions???<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 06:05 PM
Andrea

I recommend you book your Stonehenge tour now, and do the one that lets you in the &quot;inner circle&quot;. For the last 20 years or so, visitors to Stonehenge are limited to a viewing area that's about 5 meters away from the stone circle - you can't go inside the monument itself. A handful of tour companies (Astral travel is the one we used) offer &quot;inner circle&quot; tours in which you visit either early in the morning before the site opens or after it closes in the evening and you are allowed to go inside and walk around (and there is a guide who tells you the history and interesting things about the site). It's fabulous, and well worth the very high fee (75 GBP per person, champagne included!).

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 04:07 AM
Laurie

Jane- Possible day trips from Paris- Versailles, Chantilly, Vaux le Vicomte, Chartres, Giverny-obviously not all of them! Try doing some text searches here- Paris AND day trips Rome AND daytrips. You'll get lots of ideas. Good luck!

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 05:47 AM
k

I'd echo Versailles and Chartres from Paris. <BR><BR>As someone suggested, I think Florence is worth more than a day, but if that's all you can spare - I say go for it! You can walk around and get a feel for the city and see the Duomo in a day. Try to do a 1/2 day to Pisa separately from the day to Florence so you have a full day in Florence. It is worth it!<BR><BR>Have fun!<BR><BR>Karen

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 06:13 AM
Coconut

Hi - Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! We went to Italy and France on our honeymoon and had a wonderful and romantic time. Rome is a wonderful city, but I suggest maybe taking 2-3 days off our Rome (or Paris) and going to the South for a bit. My suggestion is Sorrento. You can take a train down to Naples and then catch the metro/subway/train to Sorrento - it should only take a few hours. Sorrento is such a lovely little town and the views are romantic. Very different Italy than Rome. Also, in Sorrento, you're close to other Amalfi coast towns and you can catch a bus (or taxi) to them for dinner/daytrip. <BR><BR>Also, the suggestion about Venice is good too. We loved Venice (we only stayed for 2 days and had plenty of time there). You can take an overnight train from France to Venice (or vice versa) and not miss much.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 06:18 AM
Julie

In Paris, I would recommend the Hotel Prince in the 7th arr. near the Eiffel Tower. It is very well-located near the Metro, quiet and comfortable. I believe it is a 3-star.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 06:19 AM
Ira

Hi Jane,<BR> I agree with the other posters; spend two nights in Venice.<BR> Do you have to go to Edinburgh for 2 nights? In can be done as a day trip from London.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:02 AM
jill

If you cut short time in one city make it Rome. Paris deserves a full week if you plan on going to museums. Southern Italy is very nice. Rome to Sorrento takes 4 hours using public transport. London is rather touristy so make sure you do something off the beaten path.