Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

2nd Wedding Anniversary & First Trip to Europe

Dec 27th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I are taking our first trip to Europe in March 2007 and will have 8 days to sightsee. We are flying in and out of Paris. Here's the itenerary so far:
Day 1: 10:45 a.m. arrive in Paris
Day 2: Paris
Day 3: Flight to Rome early am - day in Rome
Day 4: Rome
Day 5: Early train to Florence - day/night in Florence
Day 6: Train to Pisa (my husband is dying to see the leaning tower, it's a must see)
Day 7: Venice
Day 8: Venice (7:00 p.m. flight back to Paris)
I know that some of you are thinking that we are trying to cram in too much in too short of time, but we are young and want to see as much as we can. We just want to skim the surface of our pick cities - Paris, Rome, Venice - and will hopefully get to come back and explore further.

My question to all of you has to do with the one day we have allotted for Florence. While my husband and I both appreciate art, we are not really into looking at tons of it in multiple museums. After a couple of them, they would honestly look the same to us. So is there a reason for us to spend a day in Florence or should we take that day and spend it in Paris, Rome or Venice instead? If so, which city would you recommend we spend it in?

Any comments, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have learned alot from reading posts on this site and am looking forward to any feedback you all have to offer. Thanks in advance!!!

~TK
Dec 27th, 2006, 07:52 PM

I really appreciate the fact that you are young and enthusiastic, but your itinerary is far far too much. You will have 1 bleary eyed day in Paris and 1 "real day, a day and a half in Rome, 3/4 day in Florence 1/2 day in Pisa and I think from your description 1 1/2 days in Venice. Everyday you move you loose at lease 1/2 day! I would suggest limiting yourself to 2 cities (you can do day trips) or getting a bus tour for a quick snapshot.
Dec 27th, 2006, 09:26 PM

I agree with Travelbunny. 8 days isn't much time all you will be seeing is the train stations.
Give yourself some more time in Paris and one other city. It's a wonderful city and although, I love the art museums there is a lot more to see there than art.
Dec 28th, 2006, 02:43 AM
ira

Hi O,

There is little sense in overplanning a bad itinerary.

With 8 days you have enough time to see

1. Paris
2. Paris
3. Venice and Florence
4. Rome

Whatever you choose, the other places will be there for your 4, 6, 8, 10.... anniversaries.

Happy anniversary. Enjoy your visit.

PSmy husband is dying to see the leaning tower, it's a must see)

Go to www.google.com, enter "Pisa Tower", click "images".

All the more reason to go to either Paris or Italy, if you are going to spend a day in Pisa.
Dec 28th, 2006, 02:56 AM
ira

OOPS,

That should have been PS: (my... instead of PS

Dec 28th, 2006, 07:00 AM

You are getting good advice. Your itinerary is too crowded You are not allowing time for any of the hassle you will have at the airports, trains with security and such. You will be spending too much time dealing with that. The less time in airports, the better.

I would do a few days in Paris and then go to Rome, then home. The Leaning Tower will be there on your next trip when you do Northern Italy: Venice, Florence and the Tower.

We see too many people trying to cram too much into a Europe trip and then not really relaxing or enjoying any of it.

Another idea would be do Paris, then fly to Venice to see it and then home. One would be a busy large city and Venice, while busy, is more compact and designed for walking only.

Bottom line: Get out the pencil and delete something!
Dec 28th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Hi O,

Another vote here for cutting it to 2 destinations, max! Since this is your first trip, take the advice you came here to receive! Trust us.

Buon viaggio!
Dec 28th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Craziness !
Do yourself a favor and pick 2 destinations in the same country and start to plan your next trip after you get back.
Dec 28th, 2006, 07:13 AM
nbujic

could not agree more! By the time you get out of the airports, make it to Paris or Rome downtown , and get to your hotel hours will be lost. Can you deal with jetlag?
I saw the leaninig tower some years ago, it is not worth a day trip on your tight itenerary( nothing much else in Pisa)
Paris , with a 2 day trip to let's say Nice, sounds more reasonable.

Dec 28th, 2006, 08:51 AM

Are you already hooked into the flight from Paris to home?
An open jaws ticket will allow you some more time.
Dec 28th, 2006, 09:07 AM

I'll join the chorus here -- way, waaaaaay too much in too little time.

" . . . . we are young and want to see as much as we can. We just want to skim the surface . . . ."

You current plan almost guaranees you will see nearly nothing, and skim mainly the shops inside aiprorts and train stations.

Paris is basically lost - first day will probably be a jet lagged fog (and you won't even get to your hotel until about 2p.m. so even if you felt great you'd still only have 1/2 a day). So - 1+ days in Paris.

Even landing in the a.m. in Rome you won't be checked in to your hotel until nearly noon. so 1.5 days in Rome.

Maybe 3/4 a day in Florence (after checking in to hotel)

Day in Pisa

1.5 days in Venice.

This is nuts - meant in the nicest possible use of the word

Step back from all of this and pick TWO cities w/ one day trip out of each one . . . . .
Dec 28th, 2006, 09:19 AM

Are you commited to your flight to Paris? Since you are young and energetic, how about this slight adjustment:

Day 1: 10:45 a.m. arrive in Paris
Day 3: Paris
Day 4: Flight to Florence or Pisa early AM - day in Florence
Day 5: Morning daytrip by train to Pisa (happy husband); rest of day in Florence
Day 6: Train to Venice
Day 8: Venice (7:00 p.m. flight back to Paris)

Since you had so little time in Rome and Pisa was a must, I deleted Rome. Considering your interests, 1.5 days in Florence is fine for a taste, and you have gained time in Paris and Venice.
Dec 28th, 2006, 09:21 AM

Youth has absolutely nothing to do with it. (We're young, too, and we've been to all but Pisa and Venice on your list.) It takes time to travel between these places and time to see even the highlights of what these places have to offer. I see a recipe for a lot of "We're just back from our trip, and, wow, are we tired. We really wish we could have seen x, y, z, a, b, c, etc., but we just didn't have the time." You don't even have any cushion for a delayed flight or train.

You yourself say you're planning on heading back in the future, so it's not like you have to see so many cities in one trip - you'll go back in the future.

We did Paris in fall 2004 for 7 days, and we are not big museum people, and there are still things there that we didn't get time to see. We just got back from 6 days in Rome (with one day in Florence), and we wished that could have spent more time in Florence.

Better to do one or two places well, than many rushed and poorly. I'd say do Paris and maybe a side trip somewhere, and then get started on planning your next trip.

(And, remember, there's a very good chance that jet lag will make you too tired to do anything that first day, except for dinner and a walk afterward.)
Dec 28th, 2006, 09:46 AM

My husband and I are young too (26 & 27) and have traveled enough to know that a trip this packed is enough to guarantee that all you're going do is fight, all you'll be is tired, and all you'll see is trains and airports. I think you can still see a lot of the things you want in 8 days, and trust me I understand the feeling of wanting to see a variety of places (even if it's just a taste of each one). But this is just too rushed. I would cut Venice for sure, and perhaps do 3 nights Paris, fly to Florence on the morning of the 4th day, then Florence the night of the 4th and 5th (allowing time to see Pisa and some of Florence) then train to Rome early on the morning of the 6th day, then see Rome 6th, 7th, 8th days and hopefully find an evening flight back to Paris from Rome. Still a lot in 8 days, but a litte more workable I think....
Dec 29th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

We are locked in to flying in and out of Paris because we used our frequent flyer miles to get first class tickets. My husband is not a good flyer and it was the only way I could get us first class.

I have discussed with my husband and we are taking some of your advice. I really, really appreciate all of the feedback. I have not yet convinced my hubby to only visit two cities, but for now we are cutting Pisa and Florence so our itenerary now looks like this:
Day 1: Arrive in Paris; 1/2 day Paris
Day 3: Paris
Day 4: a.m. flight to Rome, 1/2 day in Rome
Day 5: Rome
Day 6: 1/2 day Rome,pm flight to Venice
Day 8: Venice - pm flight to Paris

One more area I could use some feedback in: Flights from Paris-Rome, Rome-Venice and Venice-Paris. I've looked at easyjet and ryanair but concerned with the airports they fly in/out of. I'm also concerned with the 40lb baggage limit. Any other suggestions?

Thank you all again (and I'm still working on limiting it to two cities)!!
Dec 29th, 2006, 07:39 AM

Hi - this site might be useful for the air arrangements:

http://whichbudget.com/

If it isn't helpful and you need more advice, you might want to repost with a new title asking about intra-Europe air fare.

Have a fun trip. Yours looks more manageable now, you'll have more time to take in the cities. Although if I were not a good flyer, 4 flights (long or short) in 8 days might seem like a lot to me.
Dec 29th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

cls2paris - That's a really good point about being on multiple flights in a short period of time, especially small planes with no frills to distract him. I hadn't thought about that. I will definitely talk with him about that - it might help convince him two cities is enough!
Dec 29th, 2006, 07:53 AM

I would take the train between Rome and Venice rather than flying (although the flight is short, you have all the extra time of getting to the airport and check in etc). The train only takes 4.5 hours so if you took one around 5pm from Rome you'd get into Venice by 9:30 or so....plus the train system in Italy is very easy to use and the trains are generally very comfortable.
Dec 29th, 2006, 08:33 AM
ira

Hi O,

Much better itinerary, although I would skip Rome.

However, fly Paris/Venice on www.myair.com between ORY and VCE. Much better than Ryanair.

The train between Rome and Venice is easier and takes no longer than flying, when you consider getting from city to airport to city.

Dec 29th, 2006, 08:37 AM
ira

PS,

Y'know, 8 days in Paris ain't really that bad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO