help with deciding if this apt is OK.

Old Jul 11th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with deciding if this apt is OK.

Well, thanks for all the input on the possible trip we were going to take after our cruise. It did not work out, but it got me so excited we are going in the spring. We'll be in Paris for 9 days in April 2008. I am looking into renting an apt on Rue Bonaparte for the whole time. It's a half block to the Seine and across the river from the Louvre. It's our first trip to Paris. We've done this before in London and loved it. Any feelings about the location for a first timer?

Thanks

Old Jul 11th, 2007, 01:00 PM

Sounds like a fabulous location to me. I think I would like it.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 01:02 PM

Seconded.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 01:06 PM

You are exactly where you want to be. Central, lots of restaurants, cafes, bakeries, some nice parks nearby (Luxembourg), can walk to Seine, Notre dame, Metro nearby...It is a popular arrondissement, bit busier during day and at night than some of the outlying ones, but for a first trip I'd think you'd want that.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 01:11 PM

Post a link to the apartment if you don't mind...unless you want to keep the little jewel a secret!
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 02:31 PM

Please post a link to this apt! You could not be better placed. We've stayed in the area for over 20 trips , I don't want to be anywhere else. But now we are looking for a long term stay and would prefer an apt.

Please share!
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 07:37 AM

I just looked up her other posts and found one regarding this apt

VRBO 11407

If this is the one, it looks quite nice!
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 08:00 AM

If you don't mind climbing lots of steps after a busy day of sightseeing. I tend to pop in and out of the apartment a lot -- our for coffee in the morning, then back to the apt for breakfast, back out for a while, return for rest later on, back out for dinner --need a sweater or jacket so return to the apartment. That's a lot of climbing up and down.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 08:17 AM

The apt. does looklovely...but my old lady, ranch house knees could not take all those steps. Like Neo, I tend to go in and out of my hotel or apt. several times a day.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 08:21 AM

I looks okay to me, also. The rate is fairly reasonable for that location, actually (around 1000 euro per week). I think the fourth-floor walkup part due to no elevator would be the issue for most people -- as to whether that is okay or not.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 09:26 AM

teach905, here's what I posted on the other thread:

I'm not familiar with that apartment nor the immediate neighbourhood, but looking at the listing, two questions come to mind:

- It's on the fourth floor and there is no elevator. It's isn't clear whether it is the fourth floor as North Americans count or whether it is the fourth French floor, which would be the fifth floor to a North American. You might clarify that with the owner.

- It is described as a "courtyard building." All windows have "rooftop views". That could be charming, but if the courtyard is no bigger than an air shaft, it might equally feel depressing. You might also clarify that with the owner. (Just as an aside, windows are one of the things we look at quite carefully when considering an apartment. For us, the ideal situation is an upper floor with living room windows overlooking a street and bedrooms overlooking a quiet courtyard.)

A couple of other things to consider when renting: if you plan to do any of your own cooking, take a look at the kitchen photos and imagine yourself working in it. Think too about how much time you will spend in the apartment. If you like to sit and read in the evening, for example, look at the living room to be sure there is comfortable seating and adequate lighting.

One thing about that #11407: I like the little alcove with the desk. I suspect, though, that you'll have to bring your own laptop if you want to use the WiFi.

Anselm
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the input. I couldn't find my post so I posted again with the exact VRBO number. Glad someone found it.

I'm waiting to see about the number of steps and the view. I will let you know when I find out.

Thanks again. I know I needed your input.