Notices

Help with anniversary planning

Old May 26th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help with anniversary planning

Where would you go amongst these places if you wanted 1) a romantic vacation (for an anniversary), 2) great food, especially desserts, 3) good shopping, 4) clean, 5) not too rushed over a two and a half week period.

-Austria (Salzburg or Vienna)
-Paris/Lyon/Riviera
-Italian lakes (Como, Lugano, or Maggiore)
-Barcelona
-combo of some of the above

I have already been to Paris and the Riviera, but liked them enough to return, although it would be nice to go somewhere new; also have been to Switz and other southern parts of Italy (didn't like it much); never been to Austria (is it similar to Switz?) or Spain.
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lake Como fits all your requirements, except shopping is limited, but you could go into Milan for that (only an hour away.) If you didn't like Southern Italy, I am not sure you will like Northern Italy.

It sounds like you prefer cities. Barcelona has great shopping, lots to see, and you could fly over to Majorca for a few days. We were in Deia, Majorca last May as the last stop in a 32 day trip and we really enjoyed it. It was a great place to relax, great food, and very romantic.
Old May 30th, 2003, 07:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could easily do Austria and northern Italy. You could fly into say Munich and stay there a night or two. drive to Salzburg for 2 nights, go along the danube and stay a night or two in Krem or Durnstein, stay 3-4 nights in Vienna, 1-2 nights in Hallstadt, 1-2 nights Innsbruck, and then head to Italy.
Old May 31st, 2003, 05:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This sounds so nice. You don't mention the time of year. For romance either Paris or the Italian lakes. I love Barcelona and Vienna can be nice, but neither of them are terribly romantic. The food is Barcelona will never match Paris. Lyon has some great restaurants, but it is not a romantic city. Although I have seen some of the most amazing desserts ever, come out of this areas patisserie. So it depends if you are city people. If you go to Paris stay Near Rue Jacob. Check out www.patriciawells.com - she has all of them listed. There are many romantic hotels in this area and just a walk on the Seine at sunset is unmatched for romance. Good Shopping, you don't want Austria. Austria is very nice, but for children not for Romance. If I were a little shy of Paris, I would consider Milan and a drive up to the Lakes. Drives can be very romantic. Milan can be romantic in late Autumn and winter.
You also mention Spain. Barcelona is nice, but 2.5 weeks is a long time in Barcelona. You can take in Girona (beautiful) the hill towns of Catalunya and the Garotxa and maybe even a stay in very romantic Nuria (Funicular to resort/snow etc.). If it is summer try to stay near Aigues Blauves, a beach that rivals the Riviera, with a Parador perched on top. The shopping is good in Barcelona, but the deserts/food are limited. Madrid is romantic.
If you have money, everything can be clean. Not too rushed. is always romantic and the key to a great trip. I am very envious.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The time of the year we'd be going would be late August/early Sept., or sometime in Sept.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 01:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My vote is for either Lake Como or Austria. If you like classical music, Vienna/Danube Valley/Salzburg trip is great. We did it last year and loved it. If you go in late August, you might even catch the end of the Salzburg music festival.

If you like lakes, Lake Como is one of the most beautiful lakes in the world. You can even take day trips to Lugano or up the Alps. I recommend staying in Bellagio, which is in the central part of the lake.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 11:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My vote would be Vienna with daytrips to Vienna Woods and their wine cafes; Krems in wine country; Bratislava, Slovakia for another country and inexpensive crystal, dolls, etc. Then I would take 3-5 days and go to either Prague (more romantic with Charles Bridge at night) or Budapest (less expensive, nice and different).
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 11:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to reply to Sarona about Vienna not being romantic or having good shopping.
As some others have observed, Vienna is a very romantic city with fine restaurants, romantic parks,walks along the Danube,boat cruises,and romantic nights in a heuriger garden with wine and music.
As for shopping- within 2 blocks we have Versace, Hermes, Cartier, Chanel , Escada,Ferragamo,Loro Piano and numerous others. Fine art galleries and excelent antique shops offer many buying opportunities.
Any city can be romantic with the right person but Vienna has my vote for a romantic interlude.
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 04:54 PM
ira

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi
Have you considered Venice?
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 02:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings Traveler123~

We just returned from our honeymoon in Italy. We stayed four nights in Tremezzo - just across the Lake from Bellagio. My vote goes along with some of the others. Definitely The Lakes and Switzerland. The food was wonderful, Bellagio shopping was quite good. Silks, leathers, ceramics (handmade 1/2 litre ceramic pitchers for wine!) everyone was sincerely friendly. The boats run all over the lake - if you have a car you can get to switzerland - Lugano is awe inspiring. We will be going back most definitely! I understand that early fall is magnificent.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 08:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HI TRAVELER123: WE JUST GOT BACK FROM A 30-DAY TRIP THAT CONCLUDED WITH FOUR DAYS IN LUGANO, SWITZERLAND (TO REST UP). FOR ROMANCE, FOOD AND CLEANLINESS YOU CAN'T BEAT THE PARKHOTEL VILLA NIZZA! THE OWNERS AND STAFF MAKE FOR A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE. SHOPPING IN TOWN IS GREAT, TOO.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 09:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't plan a driving vacation in the areas you mention in France or Italy at any time earlier than September, later would be better.
Many Europeans are taking their vacations in August, and highways and byways can be clogged with traffic.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 04:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We just started our honeymoon at Albergo Milano on Lake Como (June 23-25). It was perfect. Ask for one of the frontal view lake rooms with the large balconies. We had great picnics on our deck area!