Reload this Page >

Help with a wobbly itinerary. Munich, Nuremberg Mittewald

Sep 30th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Dear wise travelers,
. And I really need some voice of reason
Well, I bought 2 tickets into and out of Munich from Oct 14-Oct 25th.
That gives me about a 9 full day trip (so little time, so many castles).
I booked 4 days in Munich (Oct15-Oct 19) so far that is the extent of my decisions.
I would like want to do this side trips:

1) take the train to Nuremberg ( I am Albert Durer fan since childhood). Rent a car and drive Rothenburg ob der Taube (1:15 min) and north to to Wurzburg 50 min) ( where my husband's family roots are).
Then back to Nuremberg, and back to Munich.

2) Have Garmisch-Partenkirchen as a base to see around, by car.
Neuschwanstein Castle
Linderhof Castle
Oberammergau Town
Benedictine Monastery in Ettal
Mittenwald

Maybe, if this is not a drunken plan, take a day trip tour (with an agency) or even better drive to Salzburg for the day, although I will love to go to Konigsee Lake with the St Barttholomew church and fiord.
What do you think?

I guess I needed more days. Everything looks so close. In New England we drive a lot.
I will welcome any suggestions,
Cheers Adriana
Sep 30th, 2010, 08:51 AM

Hi Alaciel,

Just a quick note.

You certainly don't need a car to do/see all you list when based from Garmisch. There are good train/bus connections for all of those places.

You can check the schedules at

www.bahn.de

Not sure where you're from, but many North Americans don't often get the opportunity to experience a working rail system -- if that applies to you, this might be a good chance to try it! It's a lot of fun, and you get to travel with the locals instead of travelling isolated inside your own bubble.

Trains are also more green, yaaaay!

Anyway, good luck as you plan!

s
Sep 30th, 2010, 09:12 AM

We saw everything you want to see in 2 weeks (except Nuremburg). We skipped Nuremburg because of the time crunch.

We stayed in Munich 4 days and then rented a car in Munich and drove to Rothenburg and stayed 2 nights, then drove to Fussen; where we stayed several nights and saw:
Neuschwanstein Castle
Linderhof Castle
Oberammergau Town
Benedictine Monastery in Ettal
Mittenwald

Then drove to Berchtesgaden and made that our base to see Saltzburg and Lake Konigsee (which was beautiful)and drove back to Munich the last night before we flew out next morning.

I don't know if you have the time to see everything in 9 days.
Sep 30th, 2010, 09:21 AM

Garmisch is about an hour's drive (on the autobahn) south of Munich and if you are going to have a rental car anyway then you might want to check prices for renting in Munich vs. in Garmisch.

You can easily do the monastery at Ettal ON THE WAY from Garmisch to Oberammergau. The Passion Play will be over by the middle of October...Oberammergau can very EASILY be done in a couple of hours as long as you don't feel the need to go into every single woodcarver shop; the theatre may or may not be open for a casual view.

I KNOW you want to do Neuschwanstein and Linderhof but since you are going to be in the area have you considered touring the largest and most elaborately furnished Ludwig build of all at Herrenchiemsee?
Sep 30th, 2010, 09:41 AM

i would also recommend using the train, i have traveled this part of Germany by train and it is very easy.

if you are going to Neuschwanstein, it would be a shame to miss Hohenschwangau castle, just across the valley and Ludwig's childhood home.
Sep 30th, 2010, 10:19 AM

We did a similar trip several years ago. We had 12 days, not including our travel, and this is what we did:

Munich: 5 nights - saw the city, took a day trip to Freising, which is close by.

Nuremberg: 4 nights - took the train from Munich, very easy. Day triped by train to Ansbach (my husband was stationed there in the Army) and Rothenburg obT. Nuremburg is a hub for the train system, so it makes a good base for exploring that part of the country by train. Also, the old city is just across from the main train station.

Bavarian Alps: 3 nights - rented a car in Nuremburg, drove to the Alps, stayed near Fuessen. Saw Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein, Weiskirche, Oberamergau, and the Plansee (Austria).

Back to Munich by car, spent 1 night and flew home.
Oct 9th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for your input and suggestions. And I have to get humble. It is so funny how carried out you get when it is a a new country. With only 9 full day I will stick with the train system. No experience but Mexican and Cuban trains Ha , ha! . I have stories.
4 days in Munich, taking day trips and 3 days in Salzburg doing the same. I will be happy if someone cares to hear about my trip. Not too much luggage though. Lufhthansa has this 55 x 40 x 20 cm carry on laws.. Not much space if you ask me. I have read this wonderful posts, where you travel for 10 day with a pantie and a blouse. Same in old times of British explorers asking a team of African men how long woulds take them to be ready to go to another far away town: now, they answered.
Cheers,
Adruana
Oct 15th, 2010, 05:25 PM

I know we change hotels a lot more than a lot of people but.... the area you are talking about near Garmish puts you about in the middle for your base. Consider renting a car in Munich and spending a night in Fussen. After you see the castles and are ready to move on go the back way (see ViaMichilen.com) to Wiessekirche, Oberammergau, Linderhof and Ettal Monastary. After that head on down to Mittenwald. If you are up for it move on to Bertschesgaden and Salzburg. You can decided where to stay along the way.