Munich - 1night

Apr 28th, 2002, 07:31 PM
Babs

Munich - 1night

We are flying into Munich around 5 pm and flying to Barcelona the next day around 3 pm. Can we make it to Newschwanstein castle in this much time (less than 24 hours). Any better suggestions?

Thanks so much.

Apr 28th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Kay

I don't think it will work. We drove from Munich to Fussen to see Neuschwanstein castle. I believe the trip took at least 4 hours. If you are flying into Germany from the US, I believe you will be way too tired to make the drive. Even if you drive the first evening, you may still find yourself waiting in line to see the castle the next morning. I don't recall that it opened particularly early. You wouldn't make it back to Munich to catch your flight. Sorry, it is a sight to see. We really enjoyed the Deutsches museum in Munich. You can check the distance to Schwangau or Fusssen at viamichelin.com. We saw Neuschwanstein,
Hohenschwangau (sp) and Linderhof, but I believe there is another of Ludwig's castles closer to Munich that you might be able to see. I have heard it is very entertaining. I hope someone else can help you more. Have a great trip. I am looking forward to my first trip to Barcelona in June!

Apr 28th, 2002, 09:05 PM
Rex

I'll offer a glimmer of hope that you could do it - - but I, too think that it is a bad idea. Are you flying transatlantic into Munich? or will you already be on "Europe time"?

Bad idea to plan on flying into Munich, jet-lag/fatigued and then driven to Fussen or Reutte (which would be virtually mandatory). It's either that or get up at 4 or 5 am to get yourself to Neuschwanstein - - you really should be there by 7:30 or 8 am if this is going to work at all. Either way, public transportation will be much more difficult or impossible. And a one-day car rental is always a bad deal.

But you could do it, theoretically - - be done at Neuschwanstein by 10:30 or 11 and still make it back in time for your flight (keep in mind that Munich airport is northeast - - the exact opposite side of the city you need it to be).

Is this a vacation? or CBS' "the amazing race"?

Best wishes,

Rex

Apr 29th, 2002, 03:42 AM
Paige

If that's all you want to see in the area and it's really important to you, you could. When you arrive in Munich, you could take the S-bahn to Hauptbahnhof (the main station, about 45 minutes away) and from there take a train to Füssen (2 hours), then take a taxi or bus to one of the hotels right by the castle (15 minutes or so). Prereserve your castle tickets for first thing in the morning. The tour of Neuschwanstein only takes 30 minutes. Then you'd have to leave pretty quickly to get back in time for your flight. IMO it would be more fun to just hang out in Munich.

Apr 29th, 2002, 07:33 AM
RichardAB

Babs-

Personally, I wouldn't bother to go to Neuschwanstein. You may find Munich so interesting and want to stay in the city. There is tons of places to shop and eat in the Marienplatz area.

If you want a taste of a Bavarian, go to the Residenz. This is the former Bavarian Royal Palace. Although much of it was destroyed during the war, much of it has been restored. The Residenz has a great museum and you can tour the restored rooms throughout the palace.

Another great option within the city is the Schloss Nymphenburg. This is the Wittelsbachs summer palace. It is more sophisticated than the Residenz and done in a French style. Worth the combined U-bahn and street car trip to the suburbs. The garden are fun to wander in but HUGE!

I think once you get the flavor of Munich you may want to plan a trip to see it again. Then you can go to Neuschwanstein!

Apr 29th, 2002, 07:24 PM

topping, for Babs

Apr 29th, 2002, 07:48 PM
zoe

Skip Newschwanstein and just watch any Disney movie (unless you're also interested in the villages in the area).