Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with Germany itinerary, where to go?

Oct 6th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

This forum is so much help in planning our trips but I've read and read and still can't decide on where to go in Germany. We did Italy and it was easy the big 3: Rome, Florence, Venice. Loved Italy so much we went back the next year and rented a villa on the Amalfi Coast - best vacation ever. As much as I want to go back to Italy and see the Lake Como area, we've decided to see Germany.

We are 2 couples in our 50's, we always rent a car, love driving the countyside, stopping in small towns, enjoying the local wine & beer, seeing a museum or two. We want to go in Sept and the probelm is we only have 10 days which is really 8 nights. I know most posters here will say that is impossible but the other couple owns their own company and 10 days is the max. We did Rome 3 nights, Tuscany 3 nights and Venice 2 nights and loved it.

So where do we go for great scenery, castles, small towns and some German beer? We want to do it by driving. My first thought was to fly into Frankfurt, 2 days Wurzburg, 2 days Regensburg, 4 days Munich, with day trips to Wegen and Salzburg, fly out of Munich.

Now they want to do the river valleys. Can we fly into Frankfurt - 3 days Mosel or Rhine area, 3 days Rothenburg, 2 days Munich.. If this is doable where in the river valleys do we go? Can we do any boat trips? Can we do any boat trips under the first scenario?

Or do we do something entirely different? Thanks for your help.
Oct 6th, 2010, 06:06 PM

Hi txhomes,
We loved the Mosel and Rhine last year. I think if you split your time like this: 2 nights Beilstein on the Mosel, 2 nights Rhine River, Bacharach possibly, 1 night Rothenburg, 3 nights Munich with a day trip down to the castles, you will be good.

Three days in Rothenburg is two too many. One late afternoon and early morning is plenty of time to roam around without the tourists.

We loved staying at Haus Lippman in Beilstein. http://www.hotel-haus-lipmann.com/preis.htm The dinners and breakfasts were fantastic. Burg Eltz is fun to visit as are the little wineries in the surrounding towns. A car is great to visit the area with.

On the Rhine you can take a three or four hour roundtrip boat ride from Bacharach. Probably from other towns too. It is a fun relaxing way to get a different perspective on the castles along the river.

We stopped at Heidelberg for a few hours on our way to Rothenburg. Rothenburg has a lot of day trippers but it is lovely to walk around in the evening, walk the wall early in the morning and then head off to Munich.

Stop off at Dinkelsbuhl on the way to Munich. It is the lovely little sister of Rothenburg.

From Munich you can do a long day trip down to the castles and then fly home from Munich.

We loved Germany. I'm sure you will too.

Happy planning,
Michele
Oct 6th, 2010, 06:44 PM
yk

You can't go wrong with Bavaria in your first trip to Germany; or the Mosel/Rhine area.

I'd caution you one thing though: Oktoberfest 2011 starts on Sept 17, 2011. So, either visit Munich/Bavaria in early Sept BEFORE Oktoberfest, or avoid that area altogether if you are thinking of visiting during the 2nd half of September. Otherwise, you'd find yourselves paying premium hotel prices in the Munich area during Oktoberfest.
Oct 6th, 2010, 07:07 PM

"So where do we go for great scenery, castles, small towns and some German beer? We want to do it by driving."

"Now they want to do the river valleys. Can we fly into Frankfurt - 3 days Mosel or Rhine area, 3 days Rothenburg, 2 days Munich.. If this is doable where in the river valleys do we go? Can we do any boat trips?"

That's a nice trip. But I think you're overdoing it with the driving in the time you have.

You'd probably be wise to avoid Munich during Oktoberfest unless that's a goal. Munich is huge and hugely overrun and overpriced during the last two weeks of September. It's too far to drive if you aren't into cities anyway.

I'd gleefully spend maybe 4 days in the Rhine/Mosel. But you might like driving the other river valleys in the area too. Try the Lahn River between Koblenz and Limburg, the Nahe River valley heading west from Bingen on the Rhine, and the Ahr River valley which starts near Remagen (good WW II museum there at the Remagen bridge.)

Best castles to tour: Marksburg (Braubach) Burg Eltz (Moselkern) Reichsburg (Cochem)

www.marksburg.de
www.burg-eltz.de
www.reichsburg-cochem.de/

There are smaller wine fests along the Rhine every weekend in September - very festive, with fireworks.

Then spend 4 night in/near Rothenburg, possibly with a stop in Bad Dürkheim in between for the Sausage fest:

http://www.duerkheimer-wurstmarkt.de...markt.html?L=1

No reason you couldn't visit Würzburg from Rothenburg if you want to. But I'd make a trip to beautiful Bamberg as well (famous for Rauchbier) and maybe head for the nearby "Bierstrasse", an accumulation of private breweries between the towns of Bad Windsheim and Uehlfeld, roughly.

http://t3-kundenserver.de.dedi661.yo...dex.php?id=322

The DUI laws are severe. You might wish to use the bike route that connects these towns. Or take the train to Bad Windsheim.
Oct 6th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

I knew I'd get great info. Thanks, Michelle for the suggestion of a beautiful hotel.

We're stuck on the last 2 weekends of Sept - would you believe because of a college football schedule. If we can change to Oct - when is the fall color in bloom?

Russ, thanks for the new river valleys to visit. I definitely wanted to see Wurzburg & Bamberg from Rothenburg. The idea of wine fest & a sausage fest sound fun. Could we do this trip and just fly in & out of Frankfurt and skip Munich this trip?
Oct 7th, 2010, 02:50 AM

FRA makes sense.
Oct 7th, 2010, 09:20 AM

Just back from a 3 week trip in Germany and stayed in Rothenburg ODT for one night. The Romantic Road towns are great and since we were coming from Munich we did Landsing and Augsberg on the way up and then a whole day in Rothenburg. Absolutely add another night if you want to go up to Wurzburg but I'd move if you want another night in the area. Btw we stayed at the Burg Hotel which was excellent, build right into the old wall of the city and amazing views.

There is a lot to see in Bavaria, I wish we could have done Mosel area also. Our route was Munich (Oktoberfest for 2 days which was one of the best times ever!), Rothenburg, Hamburg, Berlin
Oct 15th, 2010, 05:34 PM

I'm with the crowd that urges you to concentrate on Bavaria. With afore mentioned Oktoberfest warning you will enjoy renting a car in Munich to explore the area from Salzburg to Fussen. There is a lot of mountain scenery and romantic charm. This is also Ludwig country with several of his fantastic castles.