Help with 40th Bday Trip

Search

Help with 40th Bday Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2022, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with 40th Bday Trip

Hi All - I was planning on a 40th bday trip to Iceland, but was worried about the food and price. Everyone I have talked to loved it, except for a group of friends that thought it was overrated. Now I am torn between Iceland and a trip to a different European country. We were planning on going the first week of October. We were also looking at spain, portugal, but have read this is their rainy season. Other thoughts were Copenhagen, Amseteram, Germany, Tuscany, French Countryside. Kind of a crazy list, I know. Open to all and any suggestions of places to visit in October. Have been to Paris, Rome, Florence, Vienna, Geneva and the Alps. Thank you! Kasia
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 10:46 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome to Fodor's forums Kasia! How long's the trip? How big is the budget? Who is "we"? What kind of style? Just generally speaking that will help people chime in appropriately with some suggestions.

Have you been to Venice? I loved Lac Leman area of Switzerland but outside Geneva like Lausanne, Vevey, Montreux. From there easy to train to Milan or Venice. Amsterdam was fun but too long ago to be current other than "why not"?

Iceland never interested me but hopefully those lovers with experience will chime in soon too.
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 10:48 AM

Iceland - out of 66 countries , the worst I’ve ever experienced.
Comparatively poor food, ridiculous prices, low chance of the Aurora, many locals are sick of tourists, visitor sites mobbed with tourists (many of whom were clueless), it’s like the adventure centre for those who don’t get out much.

We had a magical 40th in the backwaters of The Bahamas - if you want Europe then Tuscany is still very magical.
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by BritishCaicos
Iceland - out of 66 countries , the worst I’ve ever experienced.
Comparatively poor food, ridiculous prices, low chance of the Aurora, many locals are sick of tourists, visitor sites mobbed with tourists (many of whom were clueless), it’s like the adventure centre for those who don’t get out much.

We had a magical 40th in the backwaters of The Bahamas - if you want Europe then Tuscany is still very magical.
You need to give some details about your birthday trip, how long, budget, your interests and what you like to do, etc. This will help others give you constructive suggestions.

We liked Iceland very much, though it is expensive. And food was very hard, more so since I’m vegetarian, but I managed. We went in July, so no Aurora, but we really enjoyed all the outdoor activities. Don’t remember it being very crowded, perhaps there’s many more tourists now compared to 2012!

I’d recommend Bordeaux, maybe 3-4 days in the city and 3-4 in the countryside. You could drive to the Dordogne if you have more time, October should be really lovely in those parts.

Tuscany of course is an all time favourite, you can never go wrong there!

Old Jun 6th, 2022, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Sorry yes, I should have included more details. My husband and I will be traveling alone, without our toddlers. We figure the grandparents can handle them for a week ( I wish we could get away for 10 days, but I'll miss the little stinkers). I love food, wine, experiencing the culture of a place. We both love the outdoors and would be up for swimming, hiking, etc. We've done a bike tour in the past and did cinque terre by hike/bus. This is our first real trip without the little ones, so I've been having a tough time with pinning down one idea. Def love your idea of bordeaux and the countryside.
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!!! We may be planning a family trip to Bahamas in the Winter.... I love the sound of tuscany! Any specific part...should we stay in a couple different spots?
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

HI Suze - my husband and are are traveling without the kids. I haven't! I have been to Venice but only for a day. I'll have to check out those areas outside of Geneva.
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 08:28 AM

The first week of October is not the rainy season, which starts in November. September and October are the perfect late summer/early fall shoulder season months which is why we are going to Spain for four weeks on Sept 11.
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 11:29 AM

San Sebastián and the Basque Country
https://www.sansebastianturismoa.eus...at-not-to-miss
Old Jun 18th, 2022, 06:29 AM

We adore Iceland! We have been 3 times and have our 4th trip booked. I realize BC has a different take on it, but it has been years since their trip, so do consider that. The food is amazing, the people have always been very welcoming to us, the aurora is fantastic (seasonal and luck of the draw of course), and just absolute insanely gorgeous scenery. We are hard core hikers/climbers and absolutely loved what we did/saw there. Our first trip was 2015, then 2021, 2022 and the next on in 2023. Our total days there so far are 21, and the next trip will be 14. Only one was a quick stopover, and that is what got us hooked. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Old Jun 18th, 2022, 07:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
fascinating to see the different views
I found the food generally disgusting
but I found the spa culture amazing, almost as good as Hungary
the horse riding was special, not great for me, but very special
the scenery was as good or better in Scotland or Norway
the 24 hours sunshine was just weird
political discussions were interesting as both the UK and USA had invaded the country in living memory
Old Jun 18th, 2022, 08:19 AM

billboburgler--The OP won't have 24 hour daylight as they are planning on October. May I ask when you went and where you ate? I will say the food/restaurant scene is very different than it was on our first trip in 2015. We never had a bad meal last summer or this winter.
Old Jun 18th, 2022, 08:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
around 2015/16 I guess

sheeps's head, shark fin and gilamott egg and white bread got better?
even the vegetarian options were poor
but if they have got better that is good news
Old Jun 18th, 2022, 10:28 AM

bilboburgler--Yes, the food is significantly better! The vegetarian options were great too. Our daughter is gf/df and even she had no issues with the food and found things she loved.