Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How High on Wow Factor are the Dolomites?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2022, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi again,

At first the Dolomites were not on my radar. However, if we are going to tour Northern Italy and will be nearby I was wondering if we should forgo something else in order to be sure to include the Dolomites in our itinerary. What is your opinion of the Dolomites? How impressive were you of the area? Any hikes that are really easy? What did you find to be the best viewing points? Did you enjoy the Ice Man museum in Bolzano?
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 12:12 PM

I am not typically drawn to the mountains and the Dolomites were an absolute WOW!
Dolomites begin at post 29 and Bolzano at 41, Solo in Italia once again: Venice, Bologna (Ravenna), Ortisei, Bolzano, Verona.
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 01:40 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
A taste of the Dolomites: the mountains are incredible, the villages really charming, and yes visit Otzi museum it’s so well done.

Lago di Brais

San Candido

Tre Cime

Tre Cime

Tre Cime

Tre Cime

Moso

Otzi reconstruction

Val Gardena

Val Gardena

Val Gardena

Val Gardena

Val Gardena

Val Gardena

Val Gardena
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Bonvoyage--Thanks so much for your trip report! Very helpful. We plan on vising Venice, Ravenna, and Verona too. Plus we do want to see Padua and Vicenza! Obviously can't fit everything in especially if we add on the Dolomites to some degree. This brings me to my previous pondering of whether to use either Padua or Vicenza as a base or just do daytrips to them in order to free up some time for an excursion to the Dolomites or need to skip something entirely.

Adelaidean--Thanks for sharing those stunning pictures! The Alpe di Siusi appears paved. Is it paved the entire route? Do you recall the elevation? How easy is it to get there and what is the best route to arrive at the start of the hike? For Tre Cime National Park did you arrive by car? Is that hike flat and easy to navigate? How much time does it take to reach the three peaks and then to return? Was that a two person lift in Val Gardena? Do you stand in those things or are there seats? The other lifts look bigger. Thanks again for those gorgeous photos.
Old Jun 8th, 2022, 04:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The scenery as you cross over all the passes is spectacular. The views between the passes are fantastic.

I use this photo as my screen-saver:

https://dynamic-media-cdn.tripadviso...200&h=1200&s=1
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 02:19 AM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Those ‘coffin lifts’ were at Sassolongo, 2 standing, the assistants help you in (shove you in) as the lifts don’t stop, it’s quite incredible.

My trip reports with details here

1. Slowly does it...our trip to north Italy

2. Northern Italy and a bit of Bavaria, a family trip

there are lots of flat walks, as for Tre Cime, we didn’t do the loop as I travelled with my elderly mother, but what we did was incredible.

Old Jun 9th, 2022, 07:06 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
They are a huge WOW!! I thought they would be beautiful but they were so much more dramatic and beautiful than I anticipated!
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 09:33 AM

Yes, stunning mountains, but I miss the glaciers. Thus the Bernese Alps (Jungfrau region in particular) e.g. have a bigger wow factor for me.
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Jean--Thanks for that photo! It certainly qualifies as a "wow". Did you drive to that spot or hike or cable car up?

Adelaidean--Thanks so much for your wonderful trip reports and those pictures--fantastic!

HappyTrvlr and Ingo--Certainly looks stunning.

Are the elevation changes dramatic though--in other words do you feel the elevation gain and loss when you ascend and descend the mountains and go through the passes? Or is it more gradual so you don't feel the effects?
Old Jun 9th, 2022, 03:34 PM

The Otzi museum is fascinating but I did feel a little uncomfortable looking at Otzi himself.
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Are most of these stunning pictures taken from hikes or from driving to a lookout point? Do you need to take the cable cars up to get to the best viewing spots?
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 03:43 PM

Europeannovice, my mountain photos were taken on hikes reached by lifts of various types. I noticed the altitude change at Seceda but not the Alpe di Siusi, but I also had an extra day to adapt.
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 04:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You'll also get spectacular views just driving around. You don't have to hike if you don't want to.

This is a section of the Great Dolomite Road.

https://webassets.tomtom.com/otf/ima...E?w=1200&h=960

A few road pics:

https://alchetron.com/cdn/sella-pass...esize-750.jpeg

https://www.italybikehotels.com/wp-c...doi_2000px.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/www.vrcation.net/w...6%2C1288&ssl=1

https://images.fineartamerica.com/im...an-panaite.jpg

https://travellingsunglasses.com/wp-...-2-560x700.jpg
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 05:53 AM

We did a trip report in 2018 that included just a couple days in the Dolomites, and the alpine villages were breathtaking. Copenhagen, Venice, Dolomites, Lake Garda 6 nights!

Here are some additional photos from this early May trip, mostly taken in and around Cortina d’Ampezzo to Brunico. Four years ago, Cortina had signs everywhere, hoping for a winter Olympics, and four years from now, their wish will be granted.

Old Jun 17th, 2022, 01:09 PM

Just, WOW! We've been twice for two weeks each time. Cannot wait to return before I am too old to hike, and even then I would be happy to just sit and look at those beautiful mountains.
Old Jun 17th, 2022, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Bon-voyage--I believe Seceda is higher in elevation than Alpe di Siusi. Alpe di Siusi looks like its an easy stroll rather than a hike--the paths appear all paved. Is that correct? How long does it take or does it depend how far along you go on the trail?

Jean--thanks for the photos and the fact you don't have to hike in order to get some really great photos too.

Whitehall--thanks for those gorgeous photos as well!

PJTravels--Where did you base each time?
Old Jun 17th, 2022, 04:12 PM

Europeannovice, the Alpe di Siusi is large and I had time, regretfully, only for a brief introduction which I absolutely loved.
Old Jun 18th, 2022, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by PJTravels
Just, WOW! We've been twice for two weeks each time. Cannot wait to return before I am too old to hike, and even then I would be happy to just sit and look at those beautiful mountains.
We stayed in Ortisei at Grones for a week, and then moved to Alta Badia staying at Miraval Natur Hotel for a week.

There is more going on in Ortisei, and there was no need for a car during our stay. There are many ways to get up the mountains from town, and there is a free bus that goes to other towns in Val Gardena. On the day I needed to give my knees a break I took the cable car up the mountain, turned right when I got off, walked along a ridge path until I found a bench, and spent a lovely afternoon knitting with Sasso Lungo across the way. Further along this same path is a refugio serving all the standards. At the end of the afternoon I returned along the same, level ridge path, and took the cable car back down into town. My knees were happy for the rest, and I felt I had had a perfectly great day. One thing I like about the Val Gardena area is that there are so many trails at many levels of ability.

For our stay in Alta Badia we did need a car, although we could walk along a river in either direction to the neighboring villages. Miraval Natur Hotel is a special place, not only for its setting, but mostly for the hospitality of Bernadette, the owner, and for the gourmet cuisine her husband provides. While there are other towns in Alta Badia with more "action" we would not consider staying anywhere but with Bernadette. We have sent many friends her way, and they all feel the same.

We only spent a quiet Sunday afternoon in Bolzano, but I would love a chance to spend a night or two there. Utzi is not to be missed. The museum is informative and fascinating.