Help! Which London hotel?

May 20th, 2004, 11:25 PM
Original Poster

Help! Which London hotel?

Hello,

Has anyone stayed at the Ridgemount hotel in Bloomsbury or the Ebury hotel near Victoria Station? We were considering a hotel near Paddington but were told that it's not as convenient a location as the other two.

Any comments? We're looking for a safe, clean location for a tight budget.

We'll be landing in Heathrow on arrival and leaving from Stansted airport on departure.

Thanks for the help!
May 21st, 2004, 04:49 AM

I'm a London resident, I don't care for either location, try and find something in Bayswater or South Ken, much nicer!

Bloomsbury is a little officey, and beside the British Museum, not really a pleasant location, I wouldn't move there! Better still try to stay in Mayfair, the heart of London.
May 21st, 2004, 08:47 AM

How about the Winchester Hotel near Victoria Station? We're booked there in the fall and have heard good reviews.
May 21st, 2004, 09:01 AM

I recently stayed in Bloomsbury (although not at the hotel you mentioned) and thought it was an excellent location. It is walking distance to Soho, Covent Garden, British Museum, and the theatres.
May 21st, 2004, 10:12 AM

I like the area of Bloomsbury east of the British Museum. The Tottenham Court Road area to the West of the museum isn't the greatest.

Here are a couple other budget hotels to check out:

www.hotelcavendish.com
www.lincoln-house-hotel.co.uk
www.lancaster-hall-hotel.co.uk
www.oxfordhotellondon.co.uk
www.travelinn.co.uk

May 21st, 2004, 10:30 AM

I don't know what your budget is but I stayed at Piccadilly hotel. It was cheap and in a great location.

http://www.piccadillyhotel.net/londo...tels-main.html
May 21st, 2004, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Hello!

Thanks for the replies.

As for staying in Mayfair, we would love to but so far prices we've checked out are beyond our range. Will check out the other hotel suggestions. Thank you.

I'm a little confused about the Bayswater area. What area is Paddington station considered under? I heard some negative comments about King's Cross station as well.

We're hoping to spend about 80 pounds for a triple room. Yes, it's a very tight budget.

Thanks again for the help.

May 21st, 2004, 06:10 PM

Try to secure a hotel in Mayfair using www.lastminute.com. Good Luck!

May 21st, 2004, 06:51 PM

How about 55 GBP for a triple? The B&B I stay at is London Bed and Breakfast. It is located in North Harrow. Granted, it is not Central London, but it is just a 3 min walk from the tube. It is 20 min to Baker St. While not as convienient as Central London, it is cheaper. It is in a very quiet residential neighborhood.

You can take the Piccadilly line to Raynor Lane and call Tara and she will come pick you up. Plus, for leaving from Stansted it is perfectly located. The tube stop for the B&B is North Harrow on the Metropolitan line. This line runs right to Liverpool St. Station where you can catch the Stansted Express to the airport. I used it in Feb when I flew to Rome. It is so convienient.

They are located in Zone 5 so your travelcard will cost more than if you stayed in Central London. But, the money you save will more than cover it.

Over my last 2 visits to London, I saved 425 GBP over what I would have saved by staying in CL. And I was staying in Bayswater. I will never stay in Central London again.
May 21st, 2004, 07:27 PM

If you will be going during the summer, have you considered staying in a college dorm room? Check out http://www.rudymaxa.com/article.php?ArticleID=110

Priceline is also a great option for getting more for your hotel dollar in London. But it sounds like you need more than the standard two people/per room. We got a 4* hotel in Westminster for $97/night last December and a room at the Heathrow Marriott for a night in June for $67 using Priceline.

If you consider Priceline, do your homework first on www.biddingfortravel.com.
May 26th, 2004, 09:46 PM

I would like to suggest you try Garden Court Hotel, 30/21 Kensginton Gardens Square, Bayswater. I have stayed here four years in a row and will stay there again this year. It is handy to two tube stations and the bus and a 20min walk to Portobello Rd. It is being refurbished at the moment but is excellent value for money (a double w/out bathroom is 58 pounds a night and a single w/out bathroom 39 pounds). Private facilities is about another 12-15 pounds a night. Good prices for London.
May 27th, 2004, 03:57 AM

Dumb question, I'm sure, but if your travel budget is so tight, why go to London?
It always makes more sense to spend strong travel USDs - i.e. Mexico, Canada - rather than the undervalued $ in the UK and Europe.
M
May 31st, 2004, 05:22 PM

Mikemo
Why shouldnt someone travel somewhere on a tight budget. I go to London every year and although I like visiting the sights and shopping I am careful with the amount I spend on accommodation. As long it is clean and handy to transport etc that will do me. I am certainly not interested in paying top dollars but that surely doesn't mean I won't enjoy London. Go for it rb24 and enjoy - a great city.
Sep 25th, 2004, 04:05 PM

ttt for Luttell
Sep 26th, 2004, 11:20 PM

ttt