London- location???

Search

London- location???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2007, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London- location???

I'll be going to London several days before a Southhampton departing cruise.

Does it matter where you stay??? I am looking at several Hostels- to save costs. I'm interested in the "usual attractions, but location and ease of public transportation is a must. A plus would be easy access at night to theater.

I look at maps, read lodging descriptions and it's confusing.

Anyone have a better source of information for me, or touring guidelines?? recommendations?? Thanks for the help!!!
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 04:02 AM

Hi BQ, I appreciate all of the information you have posted on Alaska.

There are tons of information and many opinions here re your London questions.

My preference for London has been the S. Kensington area, for its proximity to museums, Knightsbridge shopping, and some good local pubs. However, I haven't stayed in London for 4-5 years and I trust you will get more current information.

Consider priceline (and biddingfortravel.com research) and laterooms.com to reduce the cost of a hotel stay in London.

If you just have a couple of days in London before a cruise, a HOHO double-decker bus pass is great--I'm sure someone will have an opinion on the best one.

maytraveller
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 04:36 AM

Why dont you post a few of the hostels you are considering (including their postal code) and we can comment on the areas?
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 05:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There are some decent hostels in London - but some of really bad ones too (REALLY bad - like social service flop houses)

So you do need to tell us specifically which ones you are considering. Hostels aren't a huge bargain in London. Maybe a bit cheaper than 1 and 2 star tourist B&B hotels. For just a bit more you can get a 4 star hotel using priceline.

Just about anywhere in central London will be convenient to the sites/public transport.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 05:49 AM

Next time I go to London I'll probably try the Priceline route for the reasons Janis mentioned. But my past couple of visits I've stayed in the Astor Victoria hostel, between Victoria and Pimlico stations, and in the Astor Museum Inn, right next to the British Museum. Both were clean and well run. I'd pick the Museum location just because of location - it's right next to the British Museum and in walking distance of Covent Garden, the West End, and Trafalgar Square. But as Janis said, you'll probably be fine (in terms of location) anywhere in central London.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 07:10 AM

If you are traveling with someone else, I would look hard at using priceline, You can probably get something for $100 or so, which may not be much more than a hostel. As mentioned, go to biddingfortravel and wade through the information. South Kensington seems to have the best success rate.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 07:26 AM

We have spent about 30 days in London over the years. We always stay in the Victoria Station area. Reasonable priced B&Bs and small hotels within a couple of blocks and very convenient access to the tube via VS.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies, I did look at the two mentioned hostels, but they only allow age 35 and younger, I'm out of that range.

I'll check with priceline, but need two beds, I'm traveling with my adult son, so one won't work.

I had a great stay in an Dublin Hostel last year, and thought it would be someplace to consider this year. BUT, I won't compromise clean and safe standards, so thanks again for the word of advice on the "flop house" possibility.

I'm going over a B%B listing service. Any recommendations??

Thanks again.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 07:39 AM

When traveling with a teenager, I've gotten two beds every time with Priceline in London - about 7 times. I consider it a risk I'm willing to take, but of course it's an individual choice.

Check out http://www.yha.org.uk for hostels that don't discriminate on age.

If you are going at the right time, the LSE accommodation might work well for you. We stayed at High Holborn residence on our last trip.
http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/vacations/default.htm

Old Dec 11th, 2007, 07:54 AM
MaureenB

Try londontown.com. You can identify price range, type of lodging, and area of town.
>-

Old Dec 11th, 2007, 08:22 AM

Depending on when you're coming, look at student accommodation offered by the various universities. It's good quality and pretty cheap (and no you don't have to be young or a student)
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

I'm going to be there June 26-29. And coming in a few days earlier, but, can't tell exactly when due to flying nonrev.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 08:46 AM

BudgetQueen, *if* you do decide on a hostel, don't rule out the Astor ones just yet. They do say it's 18-35 only, but one of our roommates this summer was well out of that range. She said she had called and they said it was fine - not sure if she was calling at late notice and they just had empty beds, or what the criteria was. I'm sure there are plenty of others you could choose from, but that location is pretty great, so it couldn't hurt to ask!

Anyway, I'd still go with a b&b, but just wanted to point that out in case.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 08:49 AM

Hi BQ-
Rather than a double-decker bus, you should try bus routes 9 and 15. You will hit many of the major sites for 1 GBP each ride versus the going rate on the tour bus which I think is in the 20-25 GBP range. Get an Oyster card which you can put money on and use on the buses and tubes. The website is tfl.gov.uk for more info on that.
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 07:28 AM
tod

The Ibis Euston do a three night special deal. 90 pounds for two nights and 66.75 for the last night.
I did enquire over a weekend period.
We have stayed there several times and like the convenience of being so close to an underground station/train station with coffee bars & quick snacks.