Nice Hotel in London for College Students

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a nice Hotel in London, preferably near Oxford St/Regent Street, for two treenage girls in Nov.

Need something safe, in a nice area, and if possible between 150-$200 USD per nite.

Haven't lived in London for over 20 years, so am not familiar with Hotels there now.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Any experience with this Hotel:
St. Giles Hotel, Central London
Bedford Avenue, London WC1B 3AS
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 04:33 PM

For something "nice" in a "nice" area in London for that budget I would bid on Priceline.

That's only 75 to 100 pounds - an extremely low rate for even a basisc hotel - never mind a "nice" one.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 04:54 PM

We stayed at the Morgan Hotel, per the recommendations of some Fodorites, and thought it was a very good value for London.

It is adjacent to the British Museum in Bloomsbury. Here is their website http://www.morganhotel.co.uk/index.html. The Morgan is close to the theatre district and many other areas that would interest that age group. It included a wonderful breakfast. The tube stop was a couple of blocks away but we mostly walked to what we wanted to do. Hope this is helpful.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 04:59 PM

Sorry! Forgot to add that the Morgan includes the VAT which is 17.5%. A lot of hotels add that after their quoted rate. I have tried Priceline but they have never accepted my bids even though others on this forum have gotten lucky. That is worth a shot, as nytraveler suggested. Good luck.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 05:58 AM

I don't know Morgan's in particular, but Bloomsbury is full of students, and small restaurants and shops that cater to students, as well as tourists and workers. I think your daughter would feel comfortable there.

It's lively, in a nice way.

In my opinion, Oxford St./Regent St. might be a bit overwhelming, unless you're choosing it because she's very familiar with it.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 06:06 AM

The St Giles Hotel is what used to be the YMCA - a big 70s building, no idea what it's like inside.

For what it's worth, that's more or less on the edge of Bloomsbury. But depending on how teenage they are, both you and they might feel more comfortable if they were somewhere a bit smaller and family-run.
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 07:49 AM

I stayed at the St Giles a few years back as part of a BA apckage deal. OK, but not much more than that. Very large, smallish rooms, bit noisy on lower floor. But..location was good. Easy walk to British Museum, Oxford St,etc..

I've also stayed at B&Bs in that area (tube station Russell Sq). There are a group of them on Cartwright Gardens. I liked Harlingford Hotel. Price wise, not bad. Factor in breakfast when comparing to hotels (and a more "homey" feel).