HELP? Where to stay while in Nice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm now planning South of France portion of our honeymoon!

We are flying to Nice from Paris and will stay for 4 nights/3.5 days. Can anyone help me which nice accommodation. It doesn't have to be 5 star but decent & clean, max $250 per night. Also, it would be helpful if it’s close to public transit because we are planning to do day trip to Cannes/Monaco/.....

Thank you all
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 06:59 AM

You can try Les Cigales hotel or Windsor hotel. We were at Les Cigales last september and found it good, white Windsor looks even better and is more expensive, and is accross the street.

Both are located very well.

Enjoy Nice, beautiful city .
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 07:10 AM

I can recommend highly, the Hotel le Grimaldi. Very cute boutique hotel, impeccable service, great breakfast buffet for a small additional fee.

http://www.le-grimaldi.com/

Good location for walking to old Nice and the promenade, little markets nearby, etc.
The train station is maybe a 10 minute walk. We day-tripped to Antibes via train.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 08:15 AM

Personally I put Nice in the same category as Interlaken in Switzerland. It's where everyone goes because everyone else goes there. There are far nicers places to stay in the area.

My favourite is Antibes and it is no harder to hop on the train to go over to Nice for the day or to Cannes or Monaco.

For places to stay, rather than yet another impersonal hotel in Nice or Juan Les Pins, why not try something a bit more unique? A site I find very good for finding unusual properties is Sawdays. We've used them several times and never been disappointed. For example, a turret room in a 16th century chateau where they only rent out the one room.
http://www.sawdays.co.uk/special-pla...map%26zoom%3D8

I haven't tried it yet but this place is next on my list for a stay in Antibes. http://www.sawdays.co.uk/special-pla...ap%26zoom%3D13

It's your honeymoon, be a bit more creative than Nice.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 08:54 AM
WWK

I disagree a bit with the post above. Nice is a great combination of resort and city. It has lots of museums, beach clubs, wonderful restaurants, a vibrant old town, nightlife, and offers easy access to most of the towns/cities along the coast.

We used to stay all the time at HOTEL WESTMINSTER, a small hotel on the Promenade Des Anglais. The sea view rooms are lovely, and the hotel is well-located for exploring Nice. I've also heard good things about HOTEL WINDSOR and LE GRIMALDI.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 08:57 AM

I have stayed several times at Grand Hotel Le Florence. 3* It is about 60 feet from a tram stop. About a 10 minute walk to the train station or the other way to the water. It is located on a side street directly across from Nice Etoile. Great breakfast and if you book directly on their website, you get breakfast for 5.50€. I will be there again the last of July.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 09:01 AM

I have stayed in both Antibes and Nice and although I do love Antibes I much prefer Nice. We usually rent an apartment there but do like The Flore but the rooms are very small.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 09:03 AM

Niza is nice enough WWK, it's just so predictable when people pick a place to stay.

For a honeymoon, to be somewhat special, I'd rather pick somewhere a bit different.

A place I have stayed in the area some years ago was up in Eze.
http://www.google.ca/search?q=eze+vi...w=1280&bih=687

It's very touristy like St Paul du Vence.
http://www.google.ca/search?q=eze+vi...w=1280&bih=687

But it doesn't get any more romantic than a stay at the Chateau Eza. http://www.chateaueza.com/entrance.html However, it might not fit everyone's budget. The Sawdays site I suggested has some more budget friendly unique places.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 09:38 AM

When is your honeymoon? That could make a difference about finding accommodations of the sort you want.

Our Nice favorite is the Mercure Promenade des Anglais, which has a great location: minutes to the pedestrian rue Masséna, lined with restaurants and shops; another few minutes to the Place Masséna; 10-minute walk to Vieux Nice. The hotel faces the sea, and the sea-view rooms are large and well equipped.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 10:00 AM

I much prefer Nice, also. Antibes is kind of a resort place with a bunch of boat people (rich boat people). Nice had more variety and is more of a real city and there is much more to see and do there.
Old Jun 28th, 2013, 04:09 PM

Christina, while you may have a preference for Nice, I don't see why you needed to post about it a second time. I also think your opinion shows little actual knowledge of Antibes. But then perhaps you will wish to prove me wrong. Just how much time have you actually spent in Antibes and how much do you actually know about the yachting crowd?

I don't want to get into a mine is better than yours contest but I do have to take exception to your comments re Antibes as I think they are wrong and based on insufficient knowledge.

Having lived there for 5 summer months on a boat one year,(as well as having visited subsequently several times) I feel I know it rather well.

Yes, there are boats and yes there are occassionally some rich boat owners there. However, if you knew anything about the 'yachtie life', you would know that owners are not around that much and crew are just working people like any others. Getting to know some of them can be quite rewarding in many ways. Your comment reads as if there is something to be avoided where boats are found. Did you not notice the boats in Nice harbour? In the 100km or so between St. Tropez and Nice there are something like 20,000 boats docked in any given summer. Most of them never leave the dock.

To suggest Antibes is a 'resort' any more so than anywhere between St. Tropez and San Remo is ludicrious. The entire coast is covered in tourists.

As for more to see and do in Nice, what exactly? Anything outside of Nice is as easy to see and do from Antibes. In Antibes itself, besides a nice beach that is free and not too crowded (as opposed to Nice), there is the market place which most people like to visit, plenty of reasonably priced restaurants and bars, the Picasso Museum and great walking along the shore to Jaun Les Pins.

Antibes is a working town like any other with normal life going on alongside any tourist activity. The only thing I would say Nice has to offer that is any different is that it is more of a city whereas Antibes is a town. I prefer towns over cities wherever I go. Nice is no more 'real' than Antibes in any way.

Nice is where the vast majority of tourists go, Antibes is where far fewer go. You can prefer Nice if you are a city person with all that implies, if you like. But do not try to suggest that your opinion is either better or more knowledgeable than someone else's.