Villefranche, Vence or Antibes?

Jul 19th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Villefranche, Vence or Antibes?

Hi,

My husband and I are looking to stay one night only in mid September on our way to Nice Airport. Do we go Villefranche, Vence or Antibe?

We are looking for a lovely olde town kind of feel, great intimate restaurants. We are not really into clubbing, so would like something typically French and romantic. We are not fussy on staying in an expensive hotel, but something more like a boutique small hotel.

Which do you suggest?

Thanks
Jul 19th, 2005, 12:03 PM

I have not been to Vence and only driven through Antibes, but we just returned from Villefranche-sur-mer and I think it is what you may be looking for. The village is small and charming and a short distance from the Nice Airport. The Hotel Welcome is a small mid-price "boutique" hotel right on the waterfront. Be warned, you will wish you had more time to spend in Villefranche!
Jul 19th, 2005, 12:37 PM

hi clauds,
I, too have not been to Vence or Antibes, but would definitely vote for Villefrance. I have a spent several weeks there and absolutely love it. As the other poster recommended, Hotel Welcome is a great spot. Tho I haven't stayed there either, it is right in the heart of Villefranche. Someplace else to consider is the Royal Riviera Hotel in St. Jean Cap Ferrat, the town right next to Villefranche, within walking distance to both Villefranche, Beaulieu and the town of St. Jean as well. A beautiful hotel in a great location, just another option for you. Have a great time, i'll be back there in October, can't wait! Check out the web-site of Royal Riviera, you won't be disappointed. Its www.royal-riviera.com
Jul 19th, 2005, 12:50 PM

Antibes is lovely, but the traffic into and out of the town can be fierce, not something you'd want to deal with before a flight.

Vence is up in the mountains, about a 40-minute drive from the Nice airport, but it's a charming old town with a number of good and some very good restaurants.

An alternative: St-Paul-de-Vence, about 20 minutes south of Vence. You could stay at the very nice and romantic Le Hameau hotel, set in the middle of orange groves.
Jul 19th, 2005, 06:52 PM

I'm returning one night back to St-Paul-De Vence at the"Colombre D'Or." I'd stay longer if it weren't so expensive. Romantic terrace dining, with great food, real art by previous guests like Picasso, Calder and a very friendly staff even when you look unlike the moneyed clientale.
Jul 20th, 2005, 02:36 AM

I rented an apt. in Villefranche-sur-Mer for 2 weeks last October. Beautiful sceneery..charming village. Bis and train navigation is very easy for coastal travel if you don't want to drive. The Hotel Welcome is a good spot. I went there for breakfast often. Enjoy...........
Jul 20th, 2005, 06:06 AM

If you seek a hotel with a pool in Villefranche sur Mer, I would suggest the Versailles. The La Flora next door has one too, but it is very small. Very good restaurant, however. Both of these have rooms with balconies presenting one of the lovliest views along the coast.

Our favorite little restaurant is La Pignatelle in Beaulieu sur Mer.
Jul 20th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all. I think that has answered by questions! I will start digging for a hotel now!

This is a great site to compare stories and ideas. Good One Fodors!
Many Thanks,
Clauds