Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

HELP! What on earth do I do with 5 teenagers in London! Parents please help me!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 03:37 AM
kate

Oh my god. My sister has just informed me that my 14 year old niece's birthday wish is to spend the weekend with me in London, and 4 of her mates! Children (especially teenagers) are a foreign breed to me, and I may live in London, but wouldn't have a clue what 14 year olds would be interested in doing. Parents please please help me!

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 04:16 AM
pam

Hi, Kate:<BR>We were in London in June with our 14-year-old daughter and 12-year-old son.<BR>My daughter especially enjoyed shopping, shopping and more shopping (especially in Harrod's and in Kensington). Of course, she liked the shopping in Paris and Rome, too; you think she would have been shopped out by the time we got to London. But noooooo.<BR> She loved going to Wimbledon, enjoyed Kensington Palace, the double-decker bus tour, Crown Jewels at the Tower and the Beefeater guide (our guide was so funny and entertaining, he was one of the highlights of our trip).<BR> We went to a play (The Mousetrap -- I know, it's been running forever -- I saw it 20 years ago in London -- but both our kids loved it). Both kids enjoyed the boat ride on the Thames, riding the Tube (Mind the Gap!), and walking around Picadilly Circus and a stroll from Trafalgar Square down past Downing Street and to Big Ben.<BR> My son loved going to Stonehenge, but my daughter had no interest in that.<BR> Hope this helps!<BR>Pam B.<BR>

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 04:28 AM
Teresa

Take them to see a musical, to Covent Garden and to Portobello or Camden markets. They will like it.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 04:37 AM
Judy

Hi Kate, remember what it was like to be 14? You being a fab auntie in London, will have them eating out of your hands, so to speak. I think it will be a kick to watch their faces as you show them the delights of London. You will probably see London through "new" eyes! <BR>Judy

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Joe Baker

We live in London. When my daughter was about 14 we took her and some mates on a Jack the Ripper walking tour. Ahead of it she wasn't that keen but after we'd done it she told us and anyone that would listen that it was "wicked". The other one they liked was the ghost tour. Good luck Auntie!

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 11:26 AM
David White

Kate,<BR><BR>Breathe deeply...teenagers aren't aliens (I'm the father of two).<BR><BR>First question--have these teens been to London many times? If not, then think about some of the taking them to some of the typical tourist venues. For teens, I'd suggest:<BR><BR>--a "flight" on the London Eye. Maybe combined with a visit to the nearby aquarium<BR><BR>--a "frog tour" (you know, those strange looking amphibious boat/buses that ply the Thames and clog the downtown streets<BR><BR>--the Science Museum and/or Natural History Musuem<BR><BR>--the video game place in the Trocaderro <BR><BR>The theatre is an option, albeit an expensive one for 5 teens. My 15 year old son really enjoyed "We Will Rock You"...the Queen musical.<BR><BR>Hope this helps. And good luck!<BR><BR>David White<BR>http://www.KidsToLondon.com<BR><BR><BR><BR>[third attempt to post...if this shows up multiple times]

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Lori

Well, I don't have kids but from the abundance of teenagers I have seen at Camden Market I'd say that it is the place to be! They might also like shopping (looking) in Harrod's (great contrast there between Camden Market & Harrod's!). Oxford St. shopping can be fun too for teeb girls.<BR>They may like visiting Tower of London & seeing some of the major sights they have seen on t.v. (Buckingham Palace for instance). If they are into culture great, if not just go with the flow. They probably will get a kick out of Piccadilly Circus too. Hey, they might also like riding the Tube. Then again, they might adore the British Museum, it really all depends on the kids and their interests. Let them sort of plan what they want to do tho. Adult, organized sightseeing, is the kiss of death I think for most kids. Another thought - they may get a kick out of the Wax Museum (not my kind of place, but I know teens who have loved it).

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Mary

Hi Kate,The girls will enjoy shopping at Covent Garden and of course, go to Oxford and Piccadilly Circus. Eating at Hard Rock and Sticky Fingers. My kids love figuring out the tube. Virgin records too. Maybe take them for Tea, and definitely Harrods, probably just to browse, incluking the food floor. London has sooo much to do.Woolwprth's for the best Kitkats and Kinder surprises.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 01:02 PM
g

Another production they might enjoy is The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged), especially if they have studied Shakespeare at all in school.<BR>

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 02:14 PM
kam

A "Jack the Ripper" tour, a boat ride up the Thames to Hampton Court, Portobello Market on Saturday, theatre (don't know what's showing right now---Mama Mia?), the Tower of London with stories of the imprisioned queens---always alluring. A "proper English tea" if these young ladies are American---perhaps at Kew Gardens, at the Maids of Honor? It might actually be fun for you to see London, your home, from the eyes of a different generation. I love to see the reactions of foreign houseguest's children to SF---gives a whole new perspective and much to talk about. But, they are not old enough to be "turned loose" IMHO.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 02:36 PM
Mary

Kate- The review of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is three stars, excellent, at the Palladium. Perhaps a matinee.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Julie

Just DON'T take them to the shows in Lisbon...sorry, could not resist! LOL !!!! (I really mean this as a joke--hope you appreciate it)<BR><BR>j

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Jess

If your niece isn't from the UK, definitely take her to a Lush store. I stock up everytime I'm in Europe.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 09:16 AM
xxx

Stop giving her tips! Did you realize she was so willing and needed for help but she posted this thread 4 days ago and she didn't even come here to say thank you to all of you who helped her, wasting your time with her?<BR>I hate this people that do this.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 09:21 AM
yyyy

"xxxx" what's your problem..are you the resident "Miss Manners" for Fodors.com? <BR><BR>

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 09:41 AM
xxx

In fact I am the resident Mr Manners, not Miss ,yyy

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 10:01 AM
WhySoAngry

xxx - <BR><BR>Your post speaks volumes about you and the amount of time you have on your hands. Some people have busy, productive lives and only check this board occasionally. The fact that you could feel "hate" toward someone simply because they haven't posted since Thursday is, well, pathetic.

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Marilyn

When we took my 15 year old niece to London, she loved having high tea at Brown's and we took her to see a Shakespearean play at the Globe Theater since she was studying Shakespear in school. She and we enjoyed both. The primary problem we ran into was the change of time and trying to get her to arise early in the day. By day 4 she was sleeping in on us. M.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 09:08 AM
kate

Thank you everyone, sorry for not thanking you sooner, I only post during the week and I've been run off my feet at work. For those who asked, my niece and her friends are English, and will probably have been to London at some piint in their lives but not very often and not as teenagers. I strongly suspect all they'll want to do is shop, but I feel I ought to make them see something other than Top Shop when they're here! The London Eye is a great idea, as I doubt any of them have had the chance to see it yet. How about a ghost tour (it would be something to do in the evening that doesn't involve drinking in pubs, no matter how much they might want to! And I quite fancy this myself . Does anyone know of any really good ones?<BR><BR>I reckon they'd like Wagamama's, and it shouldn't be too expensive for me to treat them there. I'd love to take them to the theatre, but may need to beg my Dad for some pocket money to do this (gosh, haven't done that for a while).