Notices

Day Trip From London

Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 08:34 PM
IWS
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Day Trip From London

My family and I have 7 days in London - this coming October. Whilst my one and only trip there 10 years ago was far too short and I want to see as much of the city sites this time, has anyone any suggestions re day trips (train / bus) out of London? Stonehenge was one idea but I would appreciate any thoughts - Ian
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 08:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are literally scores (hundreds probably) of places that make good day trips from London - other than the obvious ones that are essentially w/i greater London (Hampton Court Palace, Greenwich, or just a bit farther to Windsor)

But to give you any sort of useful advice we need more info from you -- what sorts of things do you enjoy/want to see? How old are the kids?
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 09:20 PM
IWS
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ianisi - the kids are 12, 9 and 6 but seasoned travellers. We will have done 10 days in Rome and 7 in Paris so I'm sure if the kids see another musuem there is every chance of a mutiny. Travelling a distance is not an issue with us either but it would be good to say that we've seen something other than London. I was also thinking of Greenwich but even thought going down to Portsmouth or somewhere on the coast? Being ex Navy I would love to see Victory. I'm sure my wife wouldn't mind somewhere where we could wander around the shops / markets. It really is just to get out of the city. Thanks. Ian
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 09:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish now that I had gotten down to Dover while I was in London.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 02:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We were in Londan in April with my 17 year old daughter. We loved Greenwich (we took the boat there and the train back) and Stratford (we did a tour that included a play).
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 02:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
London Walks Explorer days are a good idea. Look here
http://www.walks.com/Homepage/Explor...s/default.aspx
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 04:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As previous posters have said, there are a bzillion places outside the greater London area that are doable by train.

Even York is doable as a day trip. Walk its walls, visit the cathedral, visit Jorvik (the Viking name for the city and ride the "time car" through the Viking area that has been excavated and see all the artifacts as well as recreated dwellings), Clifford's Tower (remeains of 11th c castle), visit the museum near Clifford's Tower and walk through a Victorian Street (all inside), walk the old medieval streets of York, visit some shops, train museum just outside the walls of the city, pop on the train back to London.

The high speed trains make this a great day out.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 05:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe you can take some ideas from http://www.evanevans.co.uk/
This is company that makes day tours;you do not need to take the tour, but based on the itinerary taht they suggset, you can travel independently.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 07:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we have taken many trips with London Walks and enjoyed every one. A special favorite was their trip to Greenwich. I think that your children would enjoy being outdoors (after all those museums) and rummaging around the Cutty Sark is fun. Also straddling the Prime Meridien is something to tell the folks back home.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 08:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about Warwick Castle? It is sorta like the Disney of castles. Some find it really cheesy, but I must say it is GREAT for kids. My 4 year old had a blast there, and you could easily spend the day. Even your oldest would enjoy it. If you go, stay until 5pm to watch the trebuchet launch.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hampton Coutr Palace is another good one & the kids would enjoy it, too.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:58 AM
kdcwood

Frommers has a great little book describing 25 day trips from London. This is a great resource to look at a broad range of opportunities based on interests, transportation etc. There are lots of tips about each trip. We found it an excellent investment on our last trip to London.

http://www.amazon.com/FrommersBest-D...e=UTF8&s=books

Kathy

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 11:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll add my vote for Hampton Court Palace! The costumed guides give tours that are kid-friendly; there are special family trails where children are given a puzzle sheet to complete as they go through the Palace and then get a little prize at the end; the tennis court is really interesting (and if you're lucky, someone might be playing on it when you're there), the grounds are beautiful, and the maze is huge fun for kids to go through!
Annette
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 12:10 PM
jgg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We were in London in March for a week with our kids ages 10 and 13. We did a tour with Astral Tours. (http://www.astraltravels.co.uk/). We did their Bards and Battles Tour which included Oxford, Stratford-on-Avon and Warwick Castle. They are small group tours and we really enjoyed our day. We enjoyed our stops, but the kids really liked Warwick Castle.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 01:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will second the Hampton Court day. We took the train from Waterloo Station, arrived at 10AM and didn't leave til 4!
The costumed guides plus the audio guides make the place come alive! I am sure the kids would find it facinating.