Take my daughter to London

Aug 29th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Take my daughter to London

I am thinking of surprizing my 12 year old daughter and taking her for 5 days to London. I have a couple of thoughts though. Do you think that London is safe at this time? Where do you think would be some good areas to stay in?Any sugestions of hotels and fun things to do.

Thank you for your help!!
Aug 29th, 2003, 01:21 PM

Perhaps if you could tell us what your safety concerns are, we could give you some specific advice. But in general London is one of the safest places for a tourist anywhere. There are sone dodgy areas but really none that a tourist would get to.

The "best" area to stay varies a lot dependin on your budget, what you want to see, etc. But some of the better areas for moderately priced hotels would be South Kensington, Bloomsbury/Russell Sqiare, and Victoria. For generally higher rates, Knightsbridge and Mayfair are also good.
Aug 29th, 2003, 02:14 PM

Susanbanna,

My husband and I took our sons (ages 14 and 11) to London for the first time over Spring Break this past March for 7 days. We were there when the US started the fighting in Iraq. (I know my Mom was freaked out about us being there then, but there was absolutely no problems.)

We stayed in an apartment in Chelsea (near Kings Rd) and Sloane Square tube station. (With 4 people and 1 week's stay, an apartment makes the most sense.) We loved it because we were in a real neighborhood. We loved walking to the shops, restaurants, and sights in "our neighborhood." Even my 14-year old son would walk by himself around the corner to the internet cafe now and then.

We all enjoyed London so much we're already talking about planning a trip to return for next summer. You and your daughter will have a fantastic time. London is beautiful, easy to navigate, and really interesting. We loved going to shows, the British Museum, the Tower of London, the London Eye, shopping (well, at least I loved the shopping - handbags, Lush products, Boots, etc.), and on and on. We also really, really enjoyed a visit to Greenwich and the Royal Observatory.

My kids also loved the pizza at Pizza Express. We must have eaten there at least 3 times. They still talk about how the pizza here is not as good as in London! We also went to Belgo Centraal for a meal and that was a lot of fun. Having afternoon tea at the Orangery was also a good time.

Go for it! You won't regret it.

Susan
Aug 30th, 2003, 12:15 AM

Assuming you're American, London at any time is a dramatically safer place to be than back home. Our murder rate is a lot lower than yours, and we live longer.

What on earth provoked such a bizarre question?
Aug 30th, 2003, 12:32 AM

I am just back from London with my 9 and 11 year old daughters. We used to live there, and visit often. The girls absolutely love going there. I agree with the previous poster that the Chelsea area is very nice; a little more 'village like'. We stayed in Myhotel Chelsea; extremely nice, friendly. A small hotel, with lovely rooms, quite modern. You are just behind the area called Brompton Cross with lots of nice shops and restaurants. We paid just 135 pounds for a double including tax and breakfast; very good rate for the area. And do take her to a musical; Joseph is fantastic, very upbeat and happy musical. And London is very safe; taxis are wonderful, underground and buses are very safe too.
Aug 30th, 2003, 12:33 AM

The website for the hotel is www.myhotels.co.uk. But we booked through laterooms this time.
Aug 30th, 2003, 01:48 AM

I took my 16 yr old a few yrs back. As 2 girls "on the town", we felt perfectly safe. We loved the people-once, we politely asked for directions & the gentleman said "I'm going that way, come along!!". I really think he was just being very kind. When we got to Paris, she wanted to go back to London! We stayed in S. Kensington. I took her to tea @ the Ritz, we shopped Harrods, & she got her hair cut @ Vidal Sasson's ? haircutting school. We also had to make the prerequisite stop @Hard Rock cafe-pls forgive her- she was 16 & American! It is still one of her & my favorite cities! When I spoke to her principal about taking her out of school, he said, "She is going to learn more in the time she is there than we could ever teach her in the classroom!"
Aug 30th, 2003, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the really good information on LOndon. My concern regarding safety was more about a Mom and Daughter traveling all by ourselves not anything negative about London. This will be a first for us! Thanks again
Aug 30th, 2003, 08:22 AM

As a single woman who traveled alone to London in March, I felt safer there than in my own city in the U.S. Just use the same basic common sense that you wuld use in any city. The British are very kind. If you need help, you'll receive it.

Beany
Aug 30th, 2003, 08:59 AM

London is probably the most civilized place there is for a mother and daughter. My daughter and I went for a long long weekend in March and had a great time together. I recommend you start with the Big Bus tour so you can get a good look at everything there is and then get off and look closer at the ones that appeal to you. There is a great commentary that will also teach your daughter some history and background. Be sure to ride on top.

Take a trip to Hampton Court. They have tours led by people dressed in period costume who bring history up close and personal. We loved it. The William and Mary tour guide stayed and chatted with us, answering questions for a good half hour after the tour! My daughter went out an bought a book of the History of the Royals after, her interest was that peaked.

We also really enjoyed the Complete Works of Shakepeare at the theater in Pickadilly Square. It's very very funny. Buy your ticket in the afternoon of the performance and your daughter will get a very cheap ticket. You'll get a deep discount.

Stop at Harrods and go through the food court. Amazing! Have tea at the tea room there.

I recommend you stay in the area near Glouchester Station. Millenium Baileys sometimes has good deals. A bargain place is Hotel Montana. Very basic, but clean and inexpensive. It's a great location for tubes, taxis, museums, restaurants and a nice neighborhood environment.

Have a GREAT time!!!

Search this Thread