Help us get from Rome to Paris-no flying

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How would one (or four in this case) travel from Italy to France? We wiill be in Rome first and then flying out of Paris, but want to plan two stops in between (one in Italy and one in France). Therefore we don't want to fly directly from Rome to Paris. Are willing to drive but want to avoid the drop fee. Should we drive north from Rome and drop car in Italy, then cross via another form of transport, and pick up another car? Or then train? Bus?

At this point we don't know exactly where stops will be but somewhere along the general as the crow flies path between Rome and Paris. Once we figure out the transportation we will plan accordingly. Btw, this will be in May net year.

P.S. No rude or sassy comments please. Heehee
Old May 28th, 2012, 08:14 AM

If this sounds sassy, so be it. You either drive the way you suggest or get a train (depending on the route, either changing at Milan or at two of Milan, Turin, Genoa, Geneva and Lyons). About a total of 10-12 hrs by train: a good deal longer by car

Which way depends largely on where you want to stop (trains to and from all the transfer points I've mentioned stop at intermediate points). Play with alternative routings at www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml, drilling down to see where the trains stop.

If the available stopping places don't include anywhere you want to visit, you'll have to mess about with a car (I'd allow at the very least two full driving days, apart from visiting time). If you're happy driving in Italy, it's a perfectly pleasant drive - but it'll probably cost more. Remember both tolls and petrol are relatively high, with rough estimates of both at www.viamichelin.com
Old May 28th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Flanner. I figured there wasn't any magic to be worked here. I didn't t know, however, to check bahn.de, the German railway site. I have checked the tvg website.
Old May 28th, 2012, 06:14 PM

IMHO I think renting a car gives you the most options. Yes, there wil be a drop-off fee -but everything costs something - and this way you wil have much more freedom and convenience - which can be important traveling with kids. (We do mostly road trips and much prefer the ability to stop whenever/wherever we want to eat or visit a cute town or stop to view some gorgeous scenery.

It would help to know what you (all 4) are most interested in - as well as how many days total you have. We have done europe several times with two DDs - starting when they were 11 and 14 - but don't know aoubt your kids ages and interests.

Most important is to get them as involved as possible in the trip in advance (as appropriate for their ages) - so everyone knows what to expect and has had a chance to request favorite places or activities.
Old May 29th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks NYtraveler! We are early 50's. (I said mid 50's in an earlier post and my husband was quick to correct me). our daughters will be 21 and 19. I have been to Europe three tines, husband once, older daughter spent 7 weeks in Spain, and younger daughter has never been. We are fine with getting ourselves around in a foreign country.

I agree we would like to wander on our own. With Rome and Paris at the beginning and end we woud like to find some small towns to experience the culture. Historical sites, wine , food, old homes and churches, walking, biking etc.

I agree about the car but how about renting two - one in Italy and one in France.
Old May 29th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Oh we probably have 16 days.
Old May 29th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

We have been thinking about 5 days Rome, then drive north to one town for 3 nights, then drive to milan, fly to Lyon, pick up another car and drive to Dijon/Beaune area for three nights, then drive to Paris, drop off car and stay 4 nights then fly out.

Any thoughts.
Old May 29th, 2012, 04:57 PM

Your idea has merit and can be fun. Instead of flying between Milan and Lyon, why not do a day time train? You get to see countryside and if you do your timing right, you could end up not losing a night waiting to fly out of Milan, unless you wanted to see Milan.

Only problem I see is the amount of time and the time you desire to spend in specific places. 5 Rome (assuming includes landing day), 3 Italy town north, 1 Milan, 3 Dijon, 4 Paris. That's 16, but seems kind of a weird mix, but maybe that works for you.

Fly into Rome, drive north, train to France, drive north, fly home. Sure, I like it! Plus, with 4 it would be less money than flying probably.

dave
Old May 29th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Dave. We don' t really plan on seeing Milan so no night spent there. It was just where we could catch a cheap flight to Lyon via easy jet. But I like better your idea of a train. Then we don't need to drive so far north to Milan.

Hmmmm......
Old May 29th, 2012, 05:09 PM

Doing two cars will save a drop off fee - but you may pay a higher rate for each car due to shorter rental perods. Frankly, on vacation we are much more worried about time and convenience than a couple of hundred dollars in drop-off fee. (And I think the daily rate difference may go a ways towards balancing it off.)

Where I would stop off in between is 1) Lucerne and 2) Strasbourg or colmar - since those are both areas that I know, like, have a whole lot to do and are culturally different.

You can obviously also stay somewhere in northern Italy - perhaps one of the lakes - we like Maggiore - and then perhaps one in Switz or eastern France.

(I know a lot of people will push the train - but then you are limited to the route and specific times. On vacation we like the opportunity to leave at 9 am or 11 am - depending on what we did the evening before. We also like the opportunity to stop for lunch or sightseeing at any cute town we encounter or random sight - rather than see it whoosh by out of a train window.)
Old May 29th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

NYTRAVELER. Good points, I think I will price out two cars and one car. There is probably some truth to that which may make the savings less significant.