Help!!-Trying to make SNCF reservations

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!-Trying to make SNCF reservations

Help!! I am becoming totally frustrated. I have been trying to make TGV reservations on sncf's website to go from CDG to St Pierre des Corps on May 25. Tried a couple of times last week and then again today. I can enter the information for the reservation on the first page of the form, but then my computer tells me I have performed an illegal procedure and shuts down. Any suggestions? I am using the English language portion of the website as my French is just not good enough for me to be confident. I am going to try on my computer at home tonight and see if that works. When in France before, I have just gone to the train station and purchased the tickets myself, but we are just arriving so won't be able to do that in advance.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 08:49 AM
anyscreennamesleft

I don't think they will mail tickets to North America. They want you to buy from Rail Europe for a higher price. I also will be trying to get tickets from this website today or tomorrow. The tickets I want are for the private Thayls (Paris to Amsterdam)train. I am having them mailed to my sister-in-law's sister's house in Germany.

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 09:27 AM

who knows, it's hard to tell -- I've not had problems booking on that site. Sometimes sites like that can develop a glitch for a while and if you try another time, it can work. I wonder what kind of browser you have and what ISP, that could be a problem perhaps.

My only problem service like that was with AOL as they have a proprietary broswer that they stick limits on for various types of info and I was always getting various errors on my AOL account with some web sites in just viewing and trying to fill out forms online and I never had problems on my regular ISP at work with a regular MSE browser for the same sites. AOL supposedly has MSE but they still do something to it so it doesn't work properly, as no matter how many times I complained to tech support and what they claimed I was to have my settings at, which I did, it never worked correctly with some scripts or web sites.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 11:17 AM

I get a "you are not authorized to view this page-prohibited" message. I ended up going to the public library and had no problem with their computer.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

I'm not wanting to have the tickets mailed to me. I just want to make the reservation and hopefully print off the tickets or pick up the tickets at the station the day of the trip. I'm going to try again tonight from home as I have a different server there.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 11:31 AM

Rachel,

The site works fine for me - I use MS Explorer 5.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 12:02 PM

Rachel, the exact same thing happened to me last month, and I just assumed they changed their software and it didn't go with my Mac because I had ordered tickets before. But I was on Netscape 4.7 and now I am using Explorer 5.2 on a new Mac and it is working fine.

However, you can order the tickets by phone, so that's what I did. Here is their phone number for English speaking folk: 011 (from USA) 33 8 92 35 35 39. You can order by phone, pay with credit card and either have tickets mailed free of charge to you or pick up in France.

Note the automatic answer is in French, but just hang on and someone who speaks English will answer. They're open till 10:00 French time.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

It worked from home--Thanks.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 10:26 AM

Huzzah!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 11:29 AM

what about this "senior card" -- My husband is 60, and there is a 50% off for seniors -- since there isn't much in the way of help to describe how to get these various "coupons" I'm going to call tomorrow AM to see if there's a way we qualify....certainly worth a shot!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 12:02 PM

Hi, Rachel. For your trip CDG to Tours (St. Pierre des Corps) and date I keep getting the response "Not sold on this website" or "No reservations available" except for a couple of trains leaving CDG in the evening. In your place I would call the number given above.

To uhoh_busted: You probably don't want a "Carte Senior." It is a card that you must buy for 46 euros that will then give you 25-50% off tickets for a year. You may,however, be able to get a Discovery Senior ticket for 25% off. If you go to "Passenger's Guide" you will find an explanation of the various discounts. This part of the site has not been updated, though, to reflect the new pricing schedule. For instance, there are no more Discovery J30 or J8 tickets. Hope this helps.