Help...Rome Hotels

Search

Help...Rome Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2003, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help...Rome Hotels

First - thank you all for all the wonderful info for the Amalfi Coast on this site. Our honeymoon is mostly planned because of the collective advice on these threads. This coming April, after spending nine days along the Amalfi Coast on our honeymoon, I want to take three nights in Rome before we return to the states. Never been to Rome. Where should we stay around $200 per night? Neighborhood and hotel recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 01:39 AM

A friend of mine loves casa Howard..and said the rooms were delightful and personal. It is very conveniently located nr the Spanish Stairs .<BR><BR> http://www.casahoward.com/
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 01:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 'Centro Storico', historical centre, is a good place to stay. Check on www.venere.com<BR>We stayed at the Hotel Smeraldo www.hotelsmeraldoroma.com which was OK (within your budget), nothing fancy, but in a great area. It was 2 min walk to the Campo dei Fiori where they have a market most mornings and about 10 min walk to Piazza Navona. Most things are within walking distance, but there is no Metro stop close by, if that bothers you. Another place that is popular to stay, is near the Spanish Steps. If you do a search on this forum, you'll find heaps of recommendations.<BR>Kay
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 03:05 AM
Maira

I stayed at the Hotel Genio on Via Zanardelli and highly recommend it. The location is very convenient about two blocks from Piazza Navonna. We walked to all main sights, including the Vatican, Spanish Steps, Colisseum, etc. There were two hotels we went by that I would consider for next trips; Hotel Due Torri and Hotel Nazionale. The Nazionale I think is even better located than the Genio as it faces a piazza and may have less traffic around it.

Old Feb 9th, 2003, 02:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear Idby:<BR><BR>I've been to Rome twice. The first time we stayed near the Vatican and it was very good. This last fall, we stayed in the historical center at the Due Torri. Very nice and handy to the sites. Would choose this area again and this hotel again. I would also suggest looking at hotels near the Pantheon. We walked over to the Pantheon and the Piazza Navona every evening to hang out, eat and drink. <BR><BR>Good luck!!
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 07:01 PM

The Smeraldo is an absolute dump, with poor (rude) service, shoebox-size rooms, and constant noise from the street. You will get the same effect by sleeping out in the middle of Campo dei Fiori.<BR><BR>A much better choice in this area is the Residenza Farnese -- book early, it does tend to fill up quickly.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 09:56 AM

We stayed at two hotels in Rome that I would recommend.<BR><BR>One is small and a bit less money: Hotel Portoghesi.<BR><BR>The other is larger and a bit more expensive: Colonna Palace.<BR><BR>They are both in Centro Storico and that location is just the best.<BR><BR>If you have any questions, just write me. [email protected]<BR><BR>Carol
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 10:40 AM

i just recently returned from rome and i highly recommend the cesari hotel. it fits your price guideline and it is centrally located, walking distance to basically everything (at lease it was for us). breakfast was included and the hotel staff was helpful the few times we needed their assistance. cheers
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 09:35 PM

The Hotel Pantheon was very nice and is locates right at Pantheon Square. Can't beat the location. Although I think it was almost $240 per night. May be too pricey...
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 04:52 AM

Hotel Rex on via Torino is quite nice. Plush rooms, good breakfast, good location. Check it out.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 04:54 AM

My husband and I stayed in Rome last year for two weeks. - Colonna Palace Hotel. Reception rooms very traditional. Rooms very nice. We were upgraded to a suite. Roof top terrace for buffet cold breakfast (waiter service for your tea or coffee) Dress, casual. Excellent position to see all major sites (Centro Storico area) - within easy walking distance - 5-10 minutes. Hotel faces parliament buildings in a quiet square (police patrols at every corner to protect parliament - felt very safe) - no traffic to front of hotel, small lane to the back. Keep away from hotels in the Station Termini (Railway)area - very noisy. I have also been to Sorrento,Capri, Ravello and Amalfi. Lovely scenery and very relaxing. I am sure you will have a wonderful honeymoon in Italy!!!If you want a more modern hotel with indoor and outdoor swimming pool and gardens, restaurant, the Holiday Inn, St Peters, Rome, is beautiful although about 15 minutes away by bus (they have a courtesy bus to the center of Rome) and the public main bus stop is just outside the hotel. Hope this helps you.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 05:43 AM

The Cesari is my pick in your budget.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 12:07 PM

Another vote for the Colonna Palace. My husband and I just stayed at there last October. The rooftop terrace where you have breakfast made it a worthwhile stay in and of itself. The views of the city in the early morning sunshine were fantastic. We had quite a large room and the location can't be beat. It is on the same quiet square as the Nazionale. Close to everything in the Centro Storico. <BR><BR>One hint: see if you can get a room that overlooks the square ... instead of one at the back of the hotel with windows facing the alley/street in back. We heard loud scooters zooming past at all hours of the night ... that was the only negative.