3 familes - first time Ireland w/kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three families just booked 11 days in Ireland - taking our 6 kids ages 6-10. Are we nuts???? Can we go to the pubs with them? We are traveling from Dublin to Shannon. Any must do's? We have rented a bus to hold all of us. Thanks!
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 11:44 AM

With a search here you'll find lots of posts on doing Ireland with kids. Just remember that the kids will get tired of driving all the time, so don't overdo your itinerary. It can take hours to go from point to point when it looks like 20 minutes would do it. Be sure to include at least one castle banquet, they can be fun for kids. They can go into pubs, but not after certain evening hours. Food shouldn't be a problem, our 10 year old found something on all the menus that was familiar. Have fun.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 12:18 PM
cd

My concern would be where are you staying? With 12 people that need to have accommodations at the same hotel you should probably start getting reservations. Also, the roads are very narrow and sometimes hard for 2 cars to pass, so I hope that's OK with the bus driver! However, hope you can visit the Dingle Peninsula as it is some of the best scenery I've ever seen. There was a beautiful beach there in a town called Inch that the kids would probably enjoy. Have fun!
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 12:58 PM

We have travelled to Ireland 3 times with our 3 children. A few things we've learned:<BR><BR>* Don't drive all over the country seeing all the towns. The towns are very similar.<BR>* In small towns (we stay in Court MacSherry - county Cork) the pubs are open to children with no restrictions. In the small town we stay in , the pub is the town living room. That being said, they can be very smokey places. But our children love it. And the owner of the pub opened early and made a traditional Irish breakfast for just our group - 16 people.<BR>* The Irish people are a treat. If you stay in one place - and branch out from there - you can get to really know the people. .. Which is what Ireland is about. The last time in Court MacSherry, we went to a wedding reception our first day (at the pub) and heard a tradition Irish music group.... very nice. The townsfolks have become friends. We're returning in June.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 12:59 PM

jsric,<BR><BR>You're not nuts, as Ireland is for all ages, including pubs.<BR><BR>Consider purchasing the book Ireland for Kids, by Derek MacKenzie. (Available through Amazon for under $12.00). It'll give you some good, kid-tested tips about traveling to Ireland.<BR><BR>Kids, however, shouldn't be allowed to dictate or unduly influence your vacation. Take time to visit what appeals to you. Speaking of which, what does appeal to you? Museums? Hiking? Shopping? A bit more background would be helpful.<BR><BR>Best of luck.<BR>
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 03:37 AM

Check out http://www.harveysdock.com for self catering vacation rentals in Ireland . Self catering would definately be easier with kids and you end up witha base for a week of your vacation.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great info!! We have 15 people going now. We have actually rented a bus that comes with a driver and we plan to stay in a few places between Dublin and Shannon. Is Court MacSherry a town? Sounds like something we would enjoy. The kids would love a castle dinner. I heard that Bunratty is a favorite. We want to experience Ireland and not spend too much time in Dublin but go to the countryside. Any great overnight suggestions??? Also, what is the dress for June??? <BR>Yes, I've heard that Dingle is beautiful too! Our group of 15 will be the only ones on our bus so we can go there even if just to visit or pass through. Thanks!!! Sue
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 01:08 PM

Court MacSherry is a sleepy little town about 25km from Kinsale. It was a great base for one week. Not quite as sure you would appreciate it for a night or two - for that you might want to consider Kinsale. C.M. is a day trip to Baltimore, Kinsale, Cork (Blarney), etc.. We stay in self catering cottages (about 15 cottages are together). We went to Bunratty on one trip. It is OK for the kids - quite touristy.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 01:18 PM

Getting a bus and driver for your group is a great idea. Makes it much less stressful with such a large group.<BR><BR>I would definitely book all accommodations ahead of time. Many B&amp;Bs in Ireland are small, and could not accommodate your whole group. So you'll need to plan ahead. Hotels obviously could handle you, but they tend to be more expensive. Actually, though, be aware that in B&amp;Bs, you pay per person, not per room, so with the kids, you'd probably be paying the same as a hotel anyway. I've heard of some B&amp;Bs will offer family rates, but many do not.<BR><BR>It will likely be in the low 60s in June, although it could also dip down to the low 50s, or even hit 70. Jeans/pants, light jackets/sweaters/ sweatshirt. Maybe take a pair of shorts each (likely you won't need them, but you never know).<BR><BR>Typically you'll see kids in pubs during the day and early evening, but not at night (say past 8 p.m.).<BR><BR>I've done the feast at Bunratty. Extremely cheesy and touristy, but also a lot of fun. Of course, I also had my share of wine that night, but it's still fun. My husband's from Ireland, and said there was no way we'd drag him to something so touristy. But he ended up enjoying it. But they aren't cheap--I think we paid about 25 punts each (pre-Euro days), and that was several years ago.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 07:23 AM

Jsrc,<BR><BR>To say Courtmacsherry is a sleepy little village would be an understatement. It's located in south Cork, about 15 miles southwest of Kinsale, and it is to my mind one of the most attractive regions in all Ireland.<BR><BR>Should you stay in or around Courtmacsherry, consider making it a base for at least a few days. You could take the kids horseback riding (organized by the Courtmacsherry Hotel), head for a daytrip to Kinsale (walk out to Charles Fort; the kids will enjoy this), or head west to Baltimore, where you can take a ferry ride out to Sherkin Island or Cape Clear Island (a treat for all ages). <BR><BR>Save another day for a drive further west, along the N71, through Skibbereen and Ballydehob. From here, head south along the peninsula for Ireland's SW extremity, Mizen Head. Hike out to the lighthouse and marvel at the views. Your kids will love it (that is, if the weather is on your side).<BR><BR>Southwest Cork is beautiful touring country. Take your time, as the pace is decidedly slower than, say, Kinsale, and savor this picturesque corner of Old Erin.<BR><BR>Best of luck.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 08:43 PM

can you tell me what driver and bus you rented? we have 7 families going in april, looking for the same thing, only shorter (4 days)?
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

There were many busses that would provide a driver as well as make the overnight reservations. I found at least three on the web that I liked. However, I was skeptical booking through the web since I'm responsible for 15 people. While I was surfing one day I found a travel agent who owned an agency in my hometown (Pittsburgh) as well as Dublin. SHE rented the bus for us. She put the bid out to several companies that she uses - I don't know which one. She is on vacation now - but I'll ask and get back to you.<BR><BR>Also, David, I ordered the Ireland for Kids book. Thanks! <BR><BR>I'm also thinking that the first night will be our only one in Dublin. Seems too much like a big city! Does anyone agree? Sue