Family of 6 in Ireland

Oct 11th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Family of 6 in Ireland

Can anyone that has used www.family-homes.ie to rent a home in Ireland tell me their experience? I am beginning to plan a trip for my family of 6, 4 kids ages 21-14. I thought the most economical way for a family this size would be to rent a home. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.I have just begun the planing.
Oct 12th, 2004, 06:50 AM

Check out www.irishvacationrental.com
With self catering most bookings are Saturday - Saturday only. Fuel & electricity would not normally be included in the rental price and would be metered / charged per amount used.
Some supply towels & linen others don't it depends on the rating of the property
Oct 12th, 2004, 08:02 AM

I'm envious. Your kids are at the age to value your generous gift, of which I am sure you will enjoy. Rent a house and, maybe, two cars, one for you and one for the kids. Much of rural Ireland is best traveled by car.
Oct 12th, 2004, 12:47 PM

I've used Family Homes of Ireland for B&Bs, but not for self-catering. They're a reputable organization with a good reputation.

We've done self-catering in Ireland and found it very economical anytime there were more than 2 of us traveling. You can prepare your own meals if you choose and take care of your own laundry. We've enjoyed finding places that are not part of 'holiday home' developments, but rather properties that give us Irish neighbors for a week.

Zero in on a location that you want to explore, or one that works well as a base for day trips. When we've traveled with our young adult kids, I've chosen places in towns that will provide some nightlife opportunities. I find that the kids get bored with too much peace and serenity in the evenings.
Oct 12th, 2004, 01:10 PM

7 of us went to Ireland in July and we rented a house in Tarbert for a week. We had our two granddaughters along who are 10 and 8 and a house was great for them. The house was lovely and well furnished. There were four bedrooms all with their own bath. We did have to pay for the oil and electricity after the week but it was hardly anything. I found the house on the internet. If you're interested I'll look up the address. The owners were very nice and friendly and lived near the house so if we needed anthing we could ask them. We were in the country and had rented a van and made day trips.