Just back from Rome and Elba

Jun 16th, 2003, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Just back from Rome and Elba

Had a wonderful time - despite the heatwave - if you're travelling to Italy in the next week, plese remember that it's HOT, HOT, HOT, and Rome is incredibly humid. However, our hotel had a/c and we slept comfortably. Did a tour of ancient Rome with Enjoy Rome (www.enjoyrome.com) which was excellent. They also arranged our accommodation (Hotel Castelfidardo, Via Castelfidardo - about 10 mins walk from Termini), so if you're looking for somewhere to stay on a budget you could contact them. On Elba we stayed at the Hotel Crystal (www.hotelcrystal.it) in Portoferrario which was fine - although if I was going again I'd try the Villa Ombrosa because it was the same price but with nicer views. Moved on to Marina di Campo for some lounging on the beach - got a gorgeous apartment from a local agency www.agenzialatorre.it. Lazed around in the sun for a couple of weeks then back to Rome for two days and home to Dublin. If you've any questions ask away!
Jun 16th, 2003, 09:38 AM

The heatwave should be over. Today it rained in Tuscany, temperatures are 3-4 ?C lower than yesterday in Milano and the rest of Italy goes along a similar scheme.
Sep 15th, 2004, 11:03 AM

ter2000 - how was Hotel Castelfidardo in Rome? Was it in a relatively safe area?
Sep 15th, 2004, 11:24 AM

Tell us more about Elba, I'm always curious about the various islands. How were the beaches? The food?
Oct 12th, 2004, 01:15 PM

We have family on Elba and stayed there last year. Is there an "unsafe" place there? I would not have thought that from our extensive exploring. The beaches are wonderful and you can swim, snorkel or just relax. We were there in off season so I expect they get really crowded. The time we went out to eat were wonderful. Simple pizzas and fish and inexpensive wine. What a place!