Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I have a vial of lavender oil; what can I do with it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2004, 11:45 AM
dln

The inkeepers at the last B&B we stayed at in Jouques (northeast of Aix-en-Provence) gave us lavender oil produced on their property. Does anyone have some good ideas about using it? I've already mixed some in with my moisturizer. Anything else I can do?

Trip report on the south of France and Paris coming up soon & I'll tell you all about our wonderful adventure!

Old Oct 11th, 2004, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're prone to headaches (esp. migraines), rub it on your temples. It works!
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 11:49 AM

Get a make-your-own candle kit at a craft store and knock out dozen. Be sure to send one to the inkeepers!
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 12:03 PM

Put it on one of those ceramic diffusers.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 12:09 PM

Over exposure to lavender always gives me an headache, you're best to give it away to someone as a present, or if you must use it, burn it or something to remove it fast!
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 12:13 PM

I put 1 drop, 1 lone little drop on a low voltage light bulb...

I put 1 drop on my sheets.

I get unscented body lotion and dump as many drops as I want into it...

As I try on my balcony to grow lavender (doesn't work...I get green no blossoms...) I manage a bowl of potpourri and use a drop to refresh it.

(I also like it mixed with sandalwood...)

The scent of lillies will give me a raging headache
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 12:23 PM

>The scent of lillies will give me a raging headache

Me too. Plus they're extremely toxic.

Love lavender, though. I had three different types growing (and thriving) on my terrace this year.

Kiehl's makes a very nice lavender shower gel.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 12:42 PM

You can also buy lavender water to use on bed linens.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 01:08 PM

I got a bottle when we were on a cruise that stopped in Dubrovnik.
I immediately put it to use as the closet and drawers in the cabin were musty with "dirty clothes" odor. I put a dab on the cotton balls and stuck them around in that area. Instant relief.
when I got home, I was making an oil rub using extra virgin olive oil so I added a couple of drops to the oil. Iknow have a great light oil rub that can even be used on my face if my moisturizer is not at hand.
enjoy!
I just wish I had some more
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 01:18 PM

The Yankee gave me a bottle of Lavender oil this past Christmas. I drop a drop or two in a hot full bath..the steam is wonderful, your skin will feel wonderful, you close your eyes and pretend you are back in Provence ~
Welcome back, dln
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 01:43 PM

I just hope I live long enough to use up all the "gourmet" scented soaps I have acquired from European trips.

I use them. For the home exchangers, I have a large collection of assorted hotel soap. I give them fresh bars of that and save the good stuff for myself.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 01:58 PM
dln

You all have such wonderful ideas! I personally love the scent of lavender and wouldn't mind having it all around me (though I am mindful, mkingdom, of too much of a good thing, of course...). Every time I smell lavender from now on, I'll be reminded of all the fields of it I saw in the south of France.

Old Oct 11th, 2004, 02:00 PM

dln, Lavender is my favorite! It's oil has many uses. Lavender from the latin lavare, means "to wash". (how ironic that it doesn't agree with m_k)

Lavender is antifungal, antiseptic, antidepressant, calming, deodorizing, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and is thought to boost the immune system.

Uses...a few drops on a tissue or sachet in luggage, drawers, bed linens, keeps moths away too. Apply to scrapes, bug bites & blemishes, on burns. You can also use some on a tissue to breathe to help stay calm while flying or at other anxious times.

Also blends nicely with other essential oils & for perfumes.

It's great stuff!
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 06:10 PM

SuzieC-does your lavendar on your terrace get a lot of sun? Lavendar just loves sun and heat!!!! Very drought tolerant. I live in the desert and it grows like crazy and even though it's not at it's best when I don't water it enough, it just lives on and on and spreads in the planting bed. Don't know if lack of sun is a problem, but if it doesn't get full sun most of the time, try to move it if you can. There are also many varieties so you might check with your nursery and see if maybe another species would do better on your terrace.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 06:21 PM

We spray our linens with lavender. It is relaxing and allows us to all sleep more peacefully.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 10:35 PM

Bonjour dln,

Our neighbor, who has fields and fields of it up in the hills behind our place, puts it in her mop water when she cleans the kitchen. In addition, to the great smell, it is apparently a pretty potent natural pest repellant! Anyway, it is something you can do when you have the luxury of producing gobs of the stuff!

Elisabeth goes the diffuser route and also puts some on the bath towels which is great if you have a towel warmer.

How was the rest of your trip? Did you get to the Ste. Victoire? Can't wait to read all about it as they say...

-Kevin

p.s.: haven't had a response from Ashtons B&B yet. They must think I came completely out of left field, which I suppose I did!
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 12:31 AM

Suzie - I second crefloors. You're being too kind to your lavender. Cut back on the food and water - let it think it's in a dry summer in poor soil in the South of France, if you can manage it. And when it has flowered, cut it back to the leaves again.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 05:09 AM

It is the sun problem... I don't grow "good" basil either. All the other herbs grow like crazy... but my cement-thumbism on gardening ... the deck doesn't get too much sunshine for long enough.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 06:14 AM

Try the cultivar "Goodwin's Creek"--it even thrives indoors!

Also, make sure the lavender has good drainage. Put lots of rocks in the soil. You may even want to amend it with sand.

If that doesn't work, then perhaps you should consider moving . No sacrifice is too great for lavender.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 06:20 AM

Doncha just love NicolasL's posts pasted into everything??

Actually... I am trying to find a condo (coz I really hate yard work...)
with a balcony and sadly...that's why I don't think I can do "both", go back to Europe and put a roof over my head and a sunny deck for my lavender!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -