Help please with my itinerary- PLEASE

Old Jun 11th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help please with my itinerary- PLEASE

We are spending 11 nights in Spain in late September. 3 nights Barcelona, 2 nights Granada, 2 nights Ronda, 2 nights Seville, 2 nights Madrid. MY flights into Barcelona and out of Madrid are set. Our plan is to pick up a rental car in Granada and then spend 2 nights in Ronda before heading off to Seville. I would like to go to Grazalema National Park and Zahara on one of the days. Interested to know from others if these are worthy of stopping off at. So can you detail an itinerary of specific stops for Day 1- Granada to Ronda with the specific towns to stop off at. Day 2- a 1/2 day touring in Ronda and then please tell me what towns should I visit nearby as I am staying Ronda. Day 3- I figure one stop only along the way to Seville since that is one of my 2 days in Seville. What time could I anticipate getting into Seville if I get on the road by 9 am? Alternative could be only stay one night in Ronda.and put the extra day somewhere- i just don't want to make another one night stop.. Other websites where I've asked for help have given me websites to research the towns. But I need the experience of others please......I am concerned that 2 1/2 or 3 days of these towns are too much out of my 11 nights in Spain..... Lastly, do I want to stay in town of Ronda or outside the town? Thanks all.......
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 11:36 AM

Only you know what you are interested in seeing and doing, making it difficult for anyone to recommend an itinerary. You do need to do a more research on your own and then post some specific questions.

http://www.andalucia.com/environment.../grazalema.htm
http://www.sevillaonline.es/english/...aturalpark.htm
http://www.andalucia.com/province/ca...ierra/home.htm
www.zaharadelasierra.info
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

I have tried to plow through multiple travel books. As I said, I know that I would like to go to Zahara and Grazalema. But what I need help with is how many places you can visit in a day and what the most special of the towns are. that is precisely why I am asking for help.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 05:33 PM

Robert; you don't think this OP shows evidence of having done research? As I read your response you seem to be saying nobody can tell you what you want to see so do your own research.

I would think that posting a clear itinerary of overnights and asking for feedback from experienced travelers on two specific sites of interest as a possible day trip from Ronda and for some recommended stopovers on the routes between the overnight stops is pretty darn specific. This isn't a "What places should I visit in Spain?" or "Should I spend two weeks in France or Italy?" kind of question. I would hate to think that this forum is expected to be a place where people can only ask if they should stay at hotel A or B and how long it takes to walk between specific tourist sites and the like.

whenzuc; Zahara and Grazalema are wonderfully situated towns that are reached by very scenic driving from Ronda. The towns themselves don't have a lot of unique attractions, I think it is the journey through the mountains that is the best part of this proposed trek. If you are renting the car because you like to drive and wanted to see some of the hill towns of Andalucia, this would make a great day trip.

Between Ronda and Seville, a lot of people will suggest Arcos de la Frontera. I was not as impressed with it as I had hoped to be, but, again, it is a wonderfully situated town. Osuna is another choice. Ronda - Osuna - Seville is about 2:15 hours in total. Given that you only have 2 days in Seville, I would suggest you consider not stopping anywhere and going directly to Seville early. I think you will enjoy the extra half day there more than you will in Arcos or Osuna.

Ronda - Seville is about 1:45 hours.

Staying only 1 night in Ronda is an option, but if you leave early for Seville then you are not losing much while avoiding a one night stop. In Ronda, definitely stay in the town. Walking the streets and crossing the gorge in the evening is a pleasure.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughtful insights.. I agree with you completely about drively straight through to Seville as there is much to see. Now another clarification please - how do I split up the 2 days to fit in your most favorite towns? I have the entire day leaving by 8:30 am from Granada to Ronda, and then the next day after we tour Ronda. We are in our 50s and not the hiking types. Where does Zahara and Grazalema fit in? I am not married to these towns if the experts here have better suggestions? The photos of the lakes in the park just looked beautiful. We also do like beutiful views but we do enjoy walking in and shopping in towns. Is Ubrique a pass for leather? Thoughts on Antequerra? I have read so many mixed reviews. Again thanks in advance for all of the help.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 07:48 PM

"As I read your response you seem to be saying nobody can tell you what you want to see so do your own research" that's exactly what I said. Other than spending some time in Grazalema National Park and Zahara, the OP has not given a clue as to what they are interested in. An itinerary is far more than posting which towns and villages they would like to stay in.

I have no idea of what the OP's interest are and neither do you. Feel free to give the OP what ever advice you think will suffice.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 08:00 PM

A car is a burden in Sevilla, Madrid, and Barcelona, so plan accordingly. I too mystified by the fascination with pueblos blancos, although Ronda is a worthwhile destination although it is PITA to get to. I have never been to the National Parks.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 08:03 PM

BigAleinstein, I have to ask when was the last time you where in Ronda?
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 08:24 PM

A number of years ago. Have they knocked down some of the mountains to get to Ronda? When was the last time you were on a Braniff flight?
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 08:45 PM

"A number of years ago." seems relevant to your postings. No, they have a modern highway from Malaga, built about 15 years ago, the drive takes about 1-1/2 hours.

By the way, the last time I flew on a Braniff flight was during the summer of '66. I think they went out of business in early 1990s.
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Robert2533/ I had never heard of Plueblos Blancos until a few weeks ago when I decided to add this stopover to our trip. I was told that this part of the itinerary would be more about driving through quaint villages and beautiful landscapes. So, with that premise I have plowed through tour books looking for a driving itinerary with stopovers. Yes, I can plan the route using googlemaps or Michelin but that doesn't give me a sense of how long I would spend in a town or what towns are the most interesting to stop in.
I was just looking to take a couple of days away from the touring of churches and bigger towns to see some beautiful landscapes,visit a market if we could (we will be there Monday and Tuesday), shop,see ruins as opposed to churhes and see some interesting architecture if we could. We love to go antiquing but I imagine this is not the area. I hope that this helps. I did go back and read other posts and truly thought that my questions we in line with others to receive some guidance. So can you offer your expertise given this info?

Aramis and others-A big thanks so far- A little more help please as well to plan my trip.

So my last set of questions still remain and are relisted below!!! Now another clarification please - how do I split up the 2 days to fit in your most favorite towns? I have the entire day leaving by 8:30 am from Granada to Ronda, and then the next day after we tour Ronda. We are in our 50s and not the hiking types. Where does Zahara and Grazalema fit in? I am not married to these towns if the experts here have better suggestions? The photos of the lakes in the park just looked beautiful. We also do like beutiful views but we do enjoy walking in and shopping in towns. Is Ubrique a pass for leather? Thoughts on Antequerra? I have read so many mixed reviews. Again thanks in advance for all of the help
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 06:28 AM

I don't know if I missed this in your post, but when you mention Granada, are you including the Alhambra in this leg of your trip? Definitely a worth it stop-I booked a guided tour in advance and met the group there by car. Also, Seville was my favorite-if you want more time there, while ronda was beautiful, one night would probably suffice.
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

I do have Alhambra slated in and I will book it once I set this part of my schedule.Thanks. I guess big question is do I cut Ronda to one night and add a 3rd night in Seville? That's why I need to understand the must see sights in the hill towns!!!
Old Jun 13th, 2013, 09:00 AM

Grazalema and Zahara are two great choices if you're intent on seeing a quaint white town. It will fill up a day of your time in Ronda. I find Sevilla a lot more interesting than the pueblos blancos. If you're set on seeing Ronda I would spend one night there and then drive to Sevilla, stopping off to take pictures in Grazalema and Zahara. Drop off rental car upon arriving in Sevilla.