HELP PLEASE Schengen Visa

Jun 20th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1
HELP PLEASE Schengen Visa


I'm very confused about the Schengen visa. I'm an American citizen and so is my brother that is going with me. Our trip will be 4 month long but not all of our time will be spent in the schengen area. An 90-day visa will work, but what I'm confused about is the multiple entry. we will be arrive in Spain, going through France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Greece, Czech republic, and Hungary; also plan to spend a few day a Switzerland. After that we will be exiting the area into Romania, follow by Turkey, Egypt, and Morocco. My plan was to re-enter the Schengen area back into Spain and fly back home or to the UK.

So my question is do i have to get a long-stay visa with multiple entry or can i get an multiple at the airport since I will not be staying more that 90-days.
Liam8746 is offline  
Jun 20th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 65,372
"So my question is do i have to get a long-stay visa with multiple entry or can i get an multiple at the airport since I will not be staying more that 90-days."

1) I can't work out how long you are where -- but you say it is less than 90 days so, assuming that's correct, you are OK. You can enter Schengen and spend 90 days w/i a 180 day period. You'll ber in Schengen less than 90 days. No issues.

2) But if you did need a visa -- you don't get it at the airport. You'd need to apply in advance while you are in the States.
janisj is online now  
Jun 20th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 21,690
As a US citizen, you are exempt from getting a visa for the Schengen zone for a stay of no more than 90 days.

Theoretically, the clock starts and stops as you enter and exit the Schengen zone (there are no borders once you are inside the zone, so none of the list of Schengen countries that you gave after Spain will even be aware of your presence.

When you leave the zone, your passport may be scanned to show that you have exited. If not, it's no big deal -- just keep dated proof that you were out of the zone (hotel bills, restaurant receipts, etc.). If you are questioned upon re-entering, this will simplify your life.
kerouac is online now  
Jun 20th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,422
This comes up on the board all the time and becomes a source of great contention, as there are a few posters who fancy themselves experts on this subject and pounce on these threads, and simply will not refrain to giving you erroneous information. Weirdly, almost anyone planning an extended trip to Europe is subjected to a kind of hazing on Fodor's, and told they shouldn't be attempting it, and something terrible will happen to them if they don't take a more conventional trip.

In the end, no matter what anybody tells you here, you will need an answer from the Spanish consulate. Save yourself the worry and start there.
zeppole is offline  
Jun 21st, 2010, 12:20 AM
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 21,690
Zeppole, you are an embarrassment to the board sometimes. The Spanish consulate will just repeat the "90 days out of 180 days" Schengen rule. How can that help?
kerouac is online now  
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:15 AM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,558
Check with the relevant authorities if it makes you more comfortable, but you really have nothing to worry about if you are in the Schengen zone as a tourist for a total of less than 90 days in 180 and you are a U.S. passport holder. Under those circumstances you won't need a visa - your passport will merely be stamped as you enter and leave the Schengen zone.
Heimdall is offline  
Jun 21st, 2010, 01:47 AM
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 24,932
The rule is 90 days out of 180. Consider a hypothetical itinerary:
- Arrive in Spain and spend 75 days in the Schengen area;
- Move on to Turkey, Egypt, Morocco, etc, for 30 days;
- Re-enter the Schengen area and stay for 10 days;
- Exit the Schengen area

With such an itinerary, then you will be in full compliance and shouldn't have any problems whatsoever. You can double-check with the authorities, but I really don't see the need.

If it is just the multiple entry thing that has you worried (though I don't see why it should worry you), might I ask why you are bothering to go back to Spain at all? If your other option is to go home or go to the UK, you could just fly directly from Morocco to London and on from there. Indeed, flying in and out of London to the US is often the cheapest option to begin with.
travelgourmet is online now  
Jun 21st, 2010, 08:16 AM
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,729
Travelgourmet's example gives the clearest explanation. No entry visa is required of US citizens but you have a maximum of 90 days in the Schengen Zone in a 180-day period. It doesn't matter how you split it up as long as you don't go beyond 90 days.
brotherleelove2004 is online now  
Jun 25th, 2010, 03:44 AM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 184
all very true BUT you must make sure that when you leave Schengen the passport control actually stamps your passport with exit stamp....otherwise per the theoretical scenario if you turn up again in Spain (or Schengen area) after 105 days, you may not be allowed in, or you would have to disclose all your itinery for the time you spent outside Schengen...not all simple.
wobbers is offline  
Jun 25th, 2010, 04:03 AM
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 21,690
Most stamps are not legible anyway. If they run the passport through the optical scanner, that is better -- but on land crossings it is rare.
kerouac is online now  
Jun 25th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 57,890
US citizens don;t need any visa to stay in Schengen for 90 days or less. You can exit or enter as many times as you want from as many places as you want - as long as the total number of days in Schengen is less than 90 days.

And there is no such thing as getting a visa in an airport. If you want to stay longer than 90 days you need to organize a visa in the US - before you leave - and it will be a very long, complicated procedure and it's fairly likely you will be unsuccessful unless you're a student.

I think you're taking something very simple and making it overcomplicated. Just be sure which countries are part of Schengen and don't stay there more than 90 days total. And agree that you need to be sure you get the appropriate entry and exit stamps (this won;t happen automatically - you need to be sure you make a point of getting them - to prove you have not overstayed.)
nytraveler is offline  
Jun 29th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 184
nytraveller, you are spot on.....
wobbers is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Oct 13th, 2017 05:22 AM
May 18th, 2014 10:10 PM
May 5th, 2012 03:14 AM
Apr 25th, 2012 06:19 AM
Apr 1st, 2011 09:54 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:02 PM.