Help Please - Rome to Pisa by Train?

Old Aug 19th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Please - Rome to Pisa by Train?

I've been looking into taking the train from Rome to Pisa along the coast, but I can't seem to figure out which train I want. I know I need to get to Roma Termini (Rome's Train Station) from the airport (no biggie). But from my research online, it appears that the train tickets from Roma Termini (Rome to Pisa)don't clarify whether the route goes along the coast or towards Florence, both options. Should I not worry and just arrive at the station and hope a station attendant can help me or is this something I should book in advance to our trip. We are going in late September. And in my past European train experience, booking first class train tickets don't afford much more comfort, etc... Is this true in Italy as well or is first class along the coast worth the extra money? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Best, Paige
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 12:36 PM

Once your request comes up on the trenitalia website, click on "details" next to your selected departure. Then on the next page click on the number of the train. That will show you the cities on that route.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 12:47 PM

The advice above is good for checking the details of your route.

But I would wait until you get to Italy, and close to your travel day to make the call about whether it is "worth it" to go the coast route. If it's the fastest route, presumably you'll jump on it. But if it is longer, you'll know by then what the weather is like and whether you'd just rather get onto Roma.

You can buy tickets from travel agents and sometimes tourist offices, where you are likely to encounter more English than is offered from the civil servants who sit at ticket windows for Trenitalia. Another good strategy is to stop by the information desk in the train station (they often close for lunch). They usually have English speakers, so you can work out precisely what ticket you want, write it down, and head for the ticket window.

I've only driven from that part of Tuscany to Roma. It's not the Amalfi Drive, but if you enjoy seascapes, you might like it.

hope that helps.

Old Aug 19th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Both VERY helpful responses... THANK YOU for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it. Best, Paige
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 09:40 PM

My daughter and I couldn't get on the nonstop Pisa flight out of JFK in June so ended up taking the flight to FCO and training up. It is sooooooo easy! We bought both of the tickets at FCO ticket booth-the Leonardo Express and the tickets from Termini in downtown Rome to Pisa.
The agents at the FCO airport train terminal spoke English quite well and I think as long as you have an idea as to what time you want to get on the train out of FCO you will be fine. I went on the Trentalia site and printed out the various options and then got the one that worked for the time our flight landed in Rome.Even thought the "express" is about a half hour, I allowed two and a half hours so that we could get a bite to eat and relax before getting the next train. Good Luck!
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 09:42 PM

Forgot to add that they take credit cards at the FCO train station and second class is really fine for going up to Pisa-met some interesting people from the US and Sweden.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 08:37 AM

Hello Paige,
I am going to land at the FCO airport, and wanted to go straight to Pisa right after we landed. I was wondering if you would be able to give me feedback on how you ended up getting everything situated when you went to Italy. Any information is truly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Ps, I wanted to go to Florence, from Pisa, and back to Rome, from Florence since we leave from the FCO airport. Any suggestions?
Linda
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 09:01 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The OP doesn't seem to have posted on Fodor's in several years (this thread is from 08).

If you want to train up the coast from FCO, you would take the local train FR1 (8€) from the airport (not the Leonardo Express) to Rome Ostiense station. From there, you would catch either an IC or R train on to Pisa. On Trenitalia, enter Fiumicino Aeroporto and Pisa. Look at the train connections that don't go to Florence. All R train tickets must be validated before boarding.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 09:05 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Forgot the link.
http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...0080a3e90aRCRD

If you are only going to Pisa to see the tower, I would just train to Florence from FCO and day trip to Pisa. It's only an hour by train from Florence (about 6€).