Train Rome to Lucca

Search

Train Rome to Lucca

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train Rome to Lucca

Next week we'll be traveling by train from the termini in Rome to Lucca. (We'll buy our tickets in Rome.) To Florence, it should be a Eurostar, then a Regionale on to Lucca. Am wondering if there are any cautions about changing trains at the Florence station - anything special to look for (or look out for).
Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 01:59 PM

The one thing that comes to mind is that train info posted at the train station will only show the final destination and not list any of the interim stops. For example, when you're in the Florence station and looking up at the board to figure out which track (is the word binario ??? having a senior moment) --- it may say 'train to Lucca', but likely it'll be the final stop on that particular route. And of course, I can't recall exactly what town that is; at moment, Trenitalia website is uncooperative or I'd look it up.

Either way, I always confirm with other passengers or conductor once I'm on the train ... 'Treni a Lucca?'

Lastly, as you may already know from this board and/or your guidebook, don't forget to run your ticket thru the yellow or orange box, time-stamping it prior to boarding the train.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 02:02 PM
GAC

Look out not to miss the connection! Humor aside, the Florence Santa Maria Station is relatively small and very easy to navigate. If you are at the end of the Eurostar train, you will need to walk to the head of the track (700 yards), then connect on the main platform to the connecting track. Give yourself at least a 20 minute connection (in case the Eurostar is up to 10 minutes late).
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 02:23 PM
ira

Hi Suzy,

At the FSMN there is an office that advises tourists. It's all the way to your right as you stand with your back to the trains.

They will tell you which train to take to Lucca. "Tren a Lucca, per favore?"
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!

Don't know what I'd do without this site!