Help please ..Basque region

Old Jul 10th, 2018, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Help please ..Basque region

Hello, I am attempting to put together a vacation, starting in Barcelona and then going to Basque region. From, what, Iíve read, it sounds like driving is the easiest option, since we would rent a car, once we got there anyway. Itís an approximate 6 hr. drive ? So, would it be a good idea to stop somewhere midway and if so, where ? Thank you very much for any opinions and advice. We plan on staying 5-6 days roaming around. Have no agenda, but relax and walk and see what is to be seen and of course hopefully eat and drink well 😀 Then we are going to get to Madrid and recheck out their wonderful museums and then, go home.
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 01:56 PM

WHICH Basque region? It's not as though there is only one, and they are in two countries, so your question cannot be answered as asked.
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 02:39 AM
Original Poster

Span.
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 06:31 AM

How about Zaragoza? it's about half-way and friends of mine liked it. However, if it's just a matter of transport there are a couple of direct trains from Barcelona to San Sebastian, and you won't need a car until you leave San Sebastian.
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 06:34 AM

Span?
6-hour drive to WHERE? You're going to have to spill your mysteries if you want any usable suggestions.
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 08:19 AM

Places you canīt miss in the Spanish side...east to west: Hondarribia, Donostia-San Sebastian, Getaria, Zumaia, Lekeitio, Bilbao (and all the beatiful coastal towns) and then south to Rioja Alavesa, the Basque Rioja wine region, where Laguardia is a must too, and all the medieval towns and family wineries around it. Inland, Tolosa, OŮati, Elorrio, Arantzazu...
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 08:48 AM

This week you have the San Fermines in Pamplona! Just saying...
Old Jul 11th, 2018, 09:40 AM

I enjoyed Pamplona a lot more than I expected, but I wouldn't go anywhere near during a festival. Plus, It's not roughly half way.
Old Jul 13th, 2018, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all, so very much ! I’ve done my homework more and feel more in control now. Mikelg, thx u for all the towns. I shall look at them all. At this moment, we are just going to do Barcelona, go to Haro, hang around La Rojas area for 3 days and then to coast. Then back to Barcelona. We will drive. Pick up cr at airport ( I know more $) and bring it back there and then home. Sooo excited, but trip will be 9 mo. from now ...
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 12:38 AM

Barcelona to Haro

If you're planning on taking the main highway, then Zaragoza is about the half-way point, but the drive is boring. If you head up to Huesca and over to Pamplona, you'll find the drive more interesting. The drive takes about an hour and a half longer, without stops.

You don't mention when our traveling, but remember that you will need reservations at most wineries if you want a tour. If not, some now have wine bars, but even those often require reservations, esecially duing the harvest time when they are too busy to deal with visitors.