Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

HELP - PARIS HOTEL: More I Search, More I'm Confused :(

Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read reviews of atleast 100 hotels in Paris across websites, scanned fodors forum for hours and basically, got even more confused.

My req is fairly simple -

First time Paris visitor - solo girl traveling - neatness freak - need a good neighbourhood - excellent accessibility to major first-time tourist attractions - walking to major sites would be the best.

However, my budget preferably would not go beyond 100-130 euros, though I started looking with the range of 70-100 euros!

Pls help me! If I don't close this soon, I can't apply for my visa in time!

Thanks a ton in advance!
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:25 AM

We stayed at Hotel Abbatial on Boulevade St Germain, might just fit your budget........excellent position, one block to Notre Dame and walking distance to lots of other sights. We caught the river taxi to get to the Eiffle Tower etc. purchased a 1 day ticket and hopped on and off as we liked.

Hotel was great...didn't eat breakfast as so many cafes and boulangeries nearby.

http://hotelabbatial.com/#axzz21TVfDq6X
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:26 AM

Click on your name and then check your other thread for suggestions.
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:31 AM

You have been given lots of options...why don't you list the ones you are thinking of rather than get a bunch more suggestions?

At the end of the day you just have to pick one...you are only there for a few days, as long as its clean and by a metro you should be fine given what has already been suggested. Just pick the one you like that you can afford and is available and move on!
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:38 AM

The Paris Metro is very good, so you might consider staying in a higher numbered arrondisement (a little farther out) to get less expensive lodging. The difficulty in trying to stay close in (lower numbered arrondisement) is that everything is usually more expensive.

Staying in the 11th, 14th, 15th might cost less and the metro ride in will not be bad at all.
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 01:16 PM

I would try to stay in the 6em. You are close to lots of tourist sites, great metro. Blvd St. Germaine has numerous ATM machines. Don't stay on the Blvd itself. Lots of restaurants in the area. These hotels should meet your criteria. Narrow your search down to one of these hotels.

This hotel is run by women, with attention to details.
http://www.hotel-de-saint-germain.fr/ Note: the address tells you what arrondisement it is, by the last 2 digits in its "zip code".

http://www.hotelroyalsaintgermain.com/ in your price range with good reviews. Very good location.

One last one... http://www.bourbon-paris-hotel.com/
I believe this is in the 7em, but close to the Seine, and very conveniently located.

All hotels have very high cleanliness ratings, as well as ambiance. Good Luck!
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 04:46 PM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ank-thread.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ank-thread.cfm

Jump to the bottom of the thread and then scroll up to Dec 31,2010. In that section, I have categorized the recommended hotels, by district, and have provided websites.

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 04:56 PM

Why do you need a visa?
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 05:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Guenmai: That was just plain mean She can't pull the trigger as it is and you want her to check hundreds of additional posts

rtwin80days: The more you dither the more confused you'll be. You will never 'know' if you picked the best place or not. Just pick one that gets good reviews - it will be fine.
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 07:09 PM

As long as you understand that many (most) of the less expensive hotels in Paris are in older buildings and will have small rooms. They are usually perfectly clean and one person can fit (but I wouldn't get a single room - often only a couple of feet bigger than a single bed). If traveling alone I always get a double room for one person (cheaper than for 2 people).

If you are looking for new and modern you will be disappointed with almost all of these places.
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 07:12 PM

Gretchen: "Why do you need a visa?"

Are you serious? MANY visitors to Europe need visas. Not everyone posting on here is American . . .
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 12:40 AM

"janisj on Jul 23, 12 at 6:00pm
Guenmai: That was just plain mean She can't pull the trigger as it is and you want her to check hundreds of additional posts "

She doesn't need to check the posts, just click on the websites that I have provided as all of the hotels that I have listed are from the one's that were recommended in my thread. I've done most of the work. It's basically click and read the descriptions.

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 03:56 AM

Guenmai: I know--that is a very helpful post. Unfortunately the OP is already confused and that is offering a whole slew of new choices.

But I WAS kidding . . . I guess emoticons don't translate??
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 04:23 AM

I feel your pain, it can be hard to drill down with all the choices. I think even your original budget is do-able. Just pick a couple of the hotels that come up in your search that are in the right area (3, 4, 5 and 6 usuallly rec for 1st timers), and check reviews-I like rripadvisor. Keep in mind that all hotels will get bad reviews, just try to get a general sense.
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 04:49 AM

like denisea, as a solo traveller, I too would go with something in like the 15th. You can find some really neat clean places for a single well within that price range
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 06:21 AM

Just pick one. Relax. You're getting a hotel room, not buying a house. Chances are it will be just fine for 3-4 days. If not, you'll have a funny story to share with us when you get home.
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 06:55 AM

Yes, Janis, I am aware of that. AND sometimes first time visitors do not realize they DON"T need a visa.
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 08:46 AM

There aren't very many hotels in that budget range to begin with, at least not in the central, so that limits choices a lot (70-100 euro).

I think one problem is thinking that in a large major city like Paris, you can walk to every tourist site. What's wrong with using the metro. So that requirement is out, although I guess it does depend on what you personally want to see. But if you limit things you want to see to within a mile or so of your hotel, you aren't going to see that much of the city.

The 6th arr. is a good suggestion for you, though, as is the 5th in a close-in location. We've had numerous threads on Fodors about people looking for super cheap hotels below 100 euro, so the suggestions aren't going to be that different as there aren't that many.

Some of these very similar prior threads
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...mendations.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...st-to-stay.cfm

You might look at Hotel Clement in St Germain, it is very cheap.
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 08:47 AM

Why is it confusing? You've gotten myriad suggestions from knowledgable, experienced folks. Just pick one and get on with it. MORE suggestions will no doubt just confuse you more!
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 09:04 AM

I think we can assume the OP knows whether she needs a visa or not. Or why would she know the time limits for her visa application?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -