Help on Vienna city districts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are looking to stay in Vienna from Nov. 6 - Jan 6 and are hoping to rent a budget apartment during those times. Can anyone tell me which districts would be the "ideal districts" and which we would best avoid? I know the first district is the Old Town and thus would be the best choice, but it's probably going to be out of our price range. I am finding a lot of options in the 10th and 12th districts and I'm wondering what the atmosphere is like in these areas. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 08:44 AM

How much do you wish to spend on your apt? Also if you are planning for this Nov.-Jan. you may have problems getting a place for that long with such short notice.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Original Poster

We only really want to spend about 850-900 euro per month and I've actually been able to find a few in this price range. I just want to make sure that they are in a good enough neighborhood. I've run into a few "already booked" emails from landlords, but so far in our European journey, I've received the best feedback/acceptance emails from landlords in Vienna.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 06:44 AM

Much depends on where you find a place in each district- the 10th- Favoriten is probably overall less desirable than the 12th Meidling.
But you should examine schengen visa requirements if you do not already have a visa.
I note that you have been traveling for some months in Europe.

Also be prepared to register your occupancy and address in Vienna via a form known as a Meldezettel.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Molker. Do you know anything about the 2nd and 3rd districts? We have a couple potential options there as well. I've hear the 3rd is probably better than the 2nd district from other forums. Do you agree?

Thanks also for the heads up on visas and Meldezettel. If we are only going to be in Austria 2 months do we still have to fill it out?
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Oh and to the both of you who have responded and to (hopefully) the many of you who have not yet responded....

ANY advice on Vienna would be appreciated. What were your likes/dislikes? What is a "must" for you when you go? Attire, expenses, food, etc. All tidbits of Vienna would be welcomed. I've been scanning all the posts on Austria and I'm soooo excited to go! I know it's a broad topic, but like I said a few comments here and there won't hurt.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 10:03 AM

Look to our links page for some tips on dining etc.
http://austria.starkeconcepts.com/
We usually stay out at the Kaminek's apts in district 22.