Help Need hotel info

Search

Help Need hotel info

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Need hotel info

Can someone send me some good hotels in a good area of London, Paris and Rome? Our budget is looking for something in the area of $100 american dollars per night. Is this possible?
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 05:01 PM

That is an extremely modest price for a hotel room for 2 (this is for 2?) - especially in London.

In Rome you might consider looking at one of the convents - if you don't mind a curfew.

For the other two cities have a look below or at eurocheapo.com. Prices will vary somewhat by season.

If you're willing to bid blind you might try Priceline for London (as long as you are no more than 2 and can share a double bed). Not sure if Priceline works in Paris.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 05:08 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
$100 is only about £60 and €70. Could you find a room in San Francisco or NYC for that??

Now -- there <i>are</i> rooms to be had in that price range but they often VERY small and very basic. But, in London especially, you can get a nice room for around $100 using Priceline/Hotwire - after tax and fees it will be about $125+. That means paying up front, not knowing which hotel it is until after you pay and there is no cancellation/refund.

But your question is awfully broad. When are you traveling? For how many days?
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 05:10 PM

Didn't see nyt's post. PL really doesn't work that well for Paris because the bidding zones each have inconvenient/distant neighborhoods.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 06:59 PM

If you are staying three or more nights n each city, consider renting an apartment. You may have good luck finding a studio for 2 for that amount, if you are willing to climb lots of stairs and/or stay not so close into the central parts of the city.

Try sleepinitaly.com for Rome.
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 07:07 PM

Although I usually rent apartments, I still keep up with the hotels. For Paris, I have a lot of different hotels bookmarked on www.all-paris-apartments.com. Although the word, apartment, is in the website's name, it is a website full of hotels in your price range.

A walking-tour company that I used recommended the above website on their website. So, I read through the tons of hotels listed and bookmarked many in case I need a hotel spur-of-the-momently and all of my regular hotels and/or apartments are booked solid. I always keep an emergency list.

For a higher budget in Paris, you can check my hotel thread:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ank-thread.cfm. The Right Bank thread is linked to it. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 07:29 PM

I missed the edit and meant to say that there are hotels in your price range on www.all-paris-apartment.com. The website has hotels in all price ranges, but you can click on the 1-4 star column to get to a list of hotels that might be within your budget. And of course prices will vary according to the season. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 06:26 AM

Correction: apartment(s) above. I just noticed that I forgot to type the (s). Happy Travels!
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 06:40 AM

When you say "good" hotel, what do you mean? Are you OK with staying further out from central areas and using public transit to get into the city? Are you a "hotel is just a place to lay my head" or "where is the room service menu?"?

Double?

That is a low nightly price but could still work if you are not too fussy. My nephew rented a place in Paris (3rd district) for ~58euro a night. Basic.

Consider B&Bs in London, not really for Paris.

I've used Travelocity and Expedia for hotels and have done well.
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 07:31 AM

Your hotel budget is in the Red Roof Inn or pure dump range. By good area, presumably you mean central, walking distance to tourist sites and safe. In all likelihood, you will need to rethink and stay outside the city centers at that range.

And make sure whatever quote you get includes the VAT or else you'll be in for a big surprise.
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 08:25 AM

I've stayed in Italy, can't comment on the france and UK. check out RentalinRome.com and Booking.com I would use Piazza Navona as a landmark. It is very centrally located.
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. We are in the process of planning. Plan to go before the high season - it will be hot when we go but oh well!!
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 11:29 AM

How much is a comperable room in Sunburst?
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 06:59 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you opposed to staying in covents? In Rome, there are quite a few centrally located within that price range, but some have curfews (11pm or sometimes 12 or 1 depending on season)while a few don't.
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 06:12 AM

I was just in Paris last week. We stayed at Port Royal Hotel in the Latin quarter. Great area close to the metro and awesome restaurants. It isn't anything fancy but clean and friendly staff. We didn't spend much time there so I though it was perfect. 79 euro for a double with shower!
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Can anybody give me a list of hotels centrally located in Paris and Rome. We would like a medium priced hotel - clean but does not need to be fancy. My husband and I are retired and plan to leave in the middle of August staying for about 10 days give or take a few. We will be going to Paris first, then on to Rome and home to Michigan from there. Also what about day tours to Pompeii and Naples? Are they worth going to see? Should we spend the night there or just do a day? Suggestions appreciated!
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 09:36 AM

One thing -- you will be there in August and both cities but especially Rome, it can be VERY <B><red>HOT</red></B>. Most budget hotels don't have a/c.

Is your budget still $100-ish?
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 11:14 AM

If you want a list of all hotels, it would be better for you to look at some booking site that lets you search by arrondisement (and price) or something, as there are too many to list. I think Paris has about 2000 hotels in total. Most are 2-3* (about 700 each category of those). There is really no reason to list them all as very few of the 2000 total hotels will be in your price range. There are 139 1* hotels in the last listing I saw.

so, try www.venere.com for example, I know they have some real cheap hotels. You can search by area on www.booking.com but I don't think they really have that many in your price range. www.paris.com is a website with lots of things about Paris, the hotel section does let you list hotels by area or by star rating. They don't seem to list 1* hotels, though, although they used to. There are other websites you can use for hotel searches, like www.eurocheapo.com
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 12:03 PM

sunburst, does the ten days include Paris? Or just Italy? Is it 10 days on the ground, or 10 days including travel to and from Europe? If the whole trip is 10 days, you can just barely see the two cities. Remember the first day will be shot because of jet lag, and the last day devoted to leaving. That leaves you 8 days.

They are far apart. How will you get from one to the other? Remember it's not just train or plane time but checking out of a hotel, getting to the terminal, then after you arrive at the next city, getting to a new hotel and checking in.

As for Naples and Pompeii, of course they are worth seeing. And you can take a day trip there from Rome, but it is a long, long, hot day (~16 hours). There is almost no shade in Pompeii and it will be very hot. But you won't have time if you spend any time seeing Rome, which has so many things to see!!

You could fly from Paris to Naples, and if you can get a morning fight, spend the afternoon in Naples and the next morning in Pompeii before the worst heat hits, then train to Rome and stay there until time to leave.

Two places that are often recommended for budget travelers in Rome are The Beehive and Hotel des Artistes. To look for hotels, go online and search by city and price. Check TripAdvisor for reviews. Also SlowTrav.com. But as janisj said, the inexpensive hotels will probably not have A/c or elevators.

If that's OK, go for it. We're not trying to put your plans down, but you need to understand the reality of the travel you are planning. You had best get your planning done soon, as mid-August is approaching and many places will be booked up.
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 01:44 PM

$100/night will not buy you a room in any medium-priced hotel. Their rooms would cost in the range of $180-$250 per night.

Are you changing your budget?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -