Help: Need budget hotel near train station in Dijon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping someone can offer suggestions for a 1-star hotel within walking distance to the train station in Dijon. I've spent a good half hour looking at the archives of this site as well as scouring the web. Can you help?
Thanks!
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 01:50 PM

What is the room rate you're looking for..? Someone recommended Hotel Thurot recently...

www.hotel-thurot.com
36-64€ plus breakfast

I'm looking at Campanile Dijon Centre:
http://www.campanile-dijon-centre.com/index-uk.htm
59-69€ plus breakfast
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 02:58 PM

I stayed at the Thurot in 2004. It was a nice hotel. I wrote about it earlier.

"I arrived at the Dijon train station at 10am. I walked north up the slight hill a couple of hundred yards to the Hotel Thurot. As expected my room wasn't ready so I dropped my bag and headed out.

Later that afternoon when I checked in I found a very pleasant room. Done in pastel shades of yellow, blue and green it had twin bedding, two trash cans!, and a pretty big bathroom. The full sized tub was in a slot in the wall so I actually had 3 sides around me enclosed as I showered. A 2 star without an elevator I had to climb up a flight and a half of stairs which wasn't a problem for me."
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 03:02 PM

We stayed at the Campanile Dijon Centre last year. Perfectly adequate. Very close to the train stastion, and only a few steps to the historic center of the town.

You should contact Cocofromdijon, who lives in Dijon. She ws more than helpful to me in checking out local hotels. She worked in hotels in her earlier live, and now rents out a really lovely flat in Dijon. If you are only looking for a one night stay, and a one-star hotel, her flat would be above your bucget, I think, but the Campanile would suit you, I think.

We also considered the 2-starr Hotel Montchapet, http://www.hotel-montchapet.com/index-gb.htm
which I recall as being less expensive, but still close to the center.

Have a great trip. You will love Dijon!

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I had already looked at Hotel Campanile and decided it a little too expensive. Have emailed Hotel Thurot and Hotel Montchapet. Hope one or the other can accommodate us. Didn't want to bother Cocofromdijon. She has more important things on her mind right now.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 10:48 PM

Here I am! I wonder what you meant by " She has more important things on her mind right now." I was sleeping at the time you wrote this! ;-)
But actually in the afternoon I met "ozgirl" and her DH who are staying in my apartment for 3 days. (they are very nice )

I was thinking about Village hotel (chain hotel) which is just in front of the Galeries Lafayette.(10min walk to the train station) there are single to triple rooms at 45€. (good for you if you are 5)

I checked www.cotedor-tourisme.com and I think this is the cheapest hotel you can find in the town center. It is quite new (1 year old?)
You can see all the hotels mentioned here plus many more. BTW I'm glad you found Prem's tickets!

It was sunny but chilly and windy when nukesafe came last september so don't forget to take layers!
Bienvenue à Dijon and don't forget to ask for the owl's trail brochure at the tourist office.
coco

Old Jun 25th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Oh my gosh, cocofromdijon, please accept my apology for confusing you (and your situation) with cigalechanta. Yesterday was a very long day at the computer trying to make contact with many hotels and HOPING for positive answers. I don't know either you or cigalechanta well and I mistakenly confused you. Pardon moi!
As for my hotel search, I will contact your suggestions. Meanwhile I hope to hear from Hotel Thurot and Mont Chapet. Are you familiar with them? Do you have a criticism of either? This will be our last night of a 3 week trip to France. We need for the hotel to be clean and within easy walking distance to the train, but mostly I think we will be too tired to care a great deal about where we sleep. Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 07:44 AM

mk don't worry for the confusion, it is because of the French screen names.
I really feel sorry for cigale (mimi) and we all do.

I know cchottel is busy today with painting but I'm sure she will give you more details about Thurot hotel where she spent a couple of days last march. Meanwhile you can try to find her postings about it with her screen name.
coco
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Coco: Do you know how far a walk it would be from the Village Hotel in the city centre to the train station? We would catch a 6:30 train to CDG. That's pretty early. One of our companions is diabetic and MUST eat something before boarding. I don't know what time the hotels usually serve breakfast. Anyway, we can't afford to miss the train because our flight back to the States leaves that morning. We will have "walked a plenty" by this time but we'll be dragging luggage. Just don't want any unnecessary anxiety. The price is great on the Village and I'm sure the rooms will be fine. Thanks for suggesting it. I'm going to post a question to see if anyone is familiar with it.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 11:05 AM

"I was thinking about Village hotel (chain hotel) which is just in front of the Galeries Lafayette.(10min walk to the train station)" 10min! ;-)

Ozgirl and her DH are going to take the early train to CDG. I suggested her to go to the station and put their luggage (the biggest ones) in the lockers the day before. They don't want to take to 1st bus which is at 6am and prefer walking to the station a bit earlier.(15min walk)

You can also take a bus from les Nouvelles Galeries bus stop (called Miroir) to the train station (they say between 2 and 5 mins trip)
Here is the bus map, click on lines 3,5 and 6 to see their itinerary.(Miroir to gare SNCF or gare Foch which is a stop very close to the station as well, in front of "Hotel du Jura Tulip Inn" and Olympia cinéma)
http://tinyurl.com/pwrch (set on line 3)
coco