Cocofromdijon or anyone else who can aide us with Dijon hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Coco: I will be meeting my sister and her two children after my time in Sancerre. They will have completed a biking trip (lucky them) of Burgundy, and they will have spent a lot of time in Beaune. We figured we would meet in Dijon so that the kids (teenagers) could explore the Owl Trail. Could you please tell me one or two hotels which would give us the ideal location of Dijon exploration while providing us rather easy access to the TGV.

Our budget would be around 100 to 200 Euros per room. And if you think some hotel is worth more or less, fine!

With much gratitude for the time of all or any who answer,

Josephina
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:14 PM

Dear Josephina
It is midnight in Dijon now and I really need to go to sleep.
While I'm thinking about your request,
have a look at www.cotedor-tourisme.com and search "hotels" in Dijon.
Recently there was a good review about le Jacquemart hotel which accommodated 4(or even 6) persons in the same room for 70€. It is located in the old streets of Dijon but a quite far from the station if you have an early train.
Stu Dudley would suggest l'Hotel du Jura near the station and Nukesafe stayed at the Campanile in front of the station. They might tell you about their stay.
Before I come back here to answer I'm sure you'll have a few answers.
à bientôt
coco
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:18 PM

Oh and I forgot cchottel who stayed at Thurot hotel not far from the station. ;-)
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

How kind of you, Coco. Sleep well.

Josephina
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Josephina,

I did stay at the Hotel Campanile Centre in Dijon. Here is it's URL:
http://www.hotels-europe.com/campani...jon-centre.htm
It was fine. The rooms are small (no surprize) but quite adequate and clean. I just looked at the rates, and they list €62 for a double, €69 for a triple, and €81 for a quadruple. Not at all fancy, but quite adequate. BTW, there are more than one Campanile hotel, so be sure you are looking at the Campanile Centre.

The hotel is well situated for the station. I recall getting off the train late in the evening, and walking out of the station to find it raining quite hard. There, gleaming in the night, was the sign for the hotel, less than a block away. The hotel is not very far from the Owl walk that you want to take; only a few blocks. Those few blocks have some lovely bakeries, and a really good bistro, the Concorde, is just up the street.

Having said that, I would have MUCH rather stayed in Coco's rental flat, but she had unfortunately booked a young American honeymoon couple for that night.

Have a wonderful trip. It will certainly be one if you manage to meet Coco!

Old May 11th, 2006, 04:16 PM

Check out the Best Western Hostellerie Du Chapeau Rouge. It’s in a lovely older building with nicely appointed rooms. As I recall the location was good, the food was good, and our room had a/c. The website lists it as starting at 120 euro.
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:05 PM

Hi,
I think I found the right one!
Hotel du Nord next to Place Darcy and the Triumph arc. Just between the train station (less than 10min walk) and the beginning of the "real center"
http://www.hotel-nord.fr/fr/hotel_nord.htm
Looks nice and less expensive than the Chapeau Rouge and has a good restaurant as well. (has triple and quadruple rooms)
I don't know when you'll be staying in Dijon but welcome! ><
Old May 13th, 2006, 02:47 AM
Original Poster

It looks lovely, Coco! Thank you. I will be arriving there in August to meet them.

Thanks again,

Josephina
Old May 13th, 2006, 07:02 AM

I'm glad you like it! And it is so close from the archeological museum (down the street Dr Maret) Actually the owl's trail is going down that street to St Bénigne church and the museum. And you'll be in the right place to start it from step 1(Darcy garden).
Have a great stay!
coco
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:49 AM

It has been donkey's since I have stayed at the Hotel Cloche, but at the time (late 80's) it was the best hotel in Dijon. I have no idea what the rate for a room would be today. Maybe our adorable friend, Coco, would know?

Mrs. E. Worthington-Manville
Old May 14th, 2006, 04:18 AM

Hello Mrs E
The Sofitel is still here of course and has been renovated in the 90's. Rates start from 175€ to 400€ (or 450&euro for a suite $-) Breakfast is 18€.
I really wonder now if I should reconsider my rates!! ;-)
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:24 AM

Coco mentioned that I stayed at Hotel Thurot. It was very nice and very inexpensive. I paid 44 Euro a night for a large room (not quaint), but clean and cheerful. The room I was in was back in a hallway with one other room and you could lock the door of the hallway. I imagine that was how they would accommodate families (kids in one room, parents in the other each with their own bathrooms -- separate door to each room, but a common door to the main hall.

Did that make sense? Looked like there were other rooms set up like this, too. It wasn't the central location that Coco's recommendation is, but it was very close to the train station and I was able to walk easily back and forth from the historic center (about 10 minute walk).

The hotel had a nice breakfast room, but I didn't try it.

I found Hotel Thurot on Venere.com. I will say, it was the least expensive hotel I have ever stayed in in Europe, the largest and the nicest, too. I always stay in two-stars with private bath and less than 100 Euro. So it gives you some idea what I'm comparing it to.

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Just wanted to update Coco and the rest on where we ended up staying. The Hotel Cloche! Access to the Dijon Gare was superb. Sis and I roomed together in one superior room (beds were great) and the teens shared another. Following the advice on another forum, I ordered a Sofitel/Accor membership, and so a really good room ran us around 170 Euros a night. We didn't go for the 18Euro breakfast, but we did order a really nice continental breakfast delivered at 6:30 for 11 Euros. It was a perfect way to do the final packing and run to the station to make our 7:51 train to Paris.

Thank you, Coco, for your enthusiasm. We all loved your beautiful Dijon, and we are returning soon to the Musee de Beaux Arts. My niece loved the painting, "The Tolling of the Bells" and she wants to "visit" it.

Jo
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:09 PM

Hi Jo and thank you for the update
I'm glad you liked Dijon, hope you followed the owl's trail! ~gt; (sorry no owl here ;-))
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:19 PM

Good to see/read you again. Hope you and the children had a good time with your vacances. I miss you.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:24 PM

Hello gg, I'm selecting pictures to send you!
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:30 PM

And don't forget Coco's own flat that she rents out - i've seen pictures of it on the web site (don't have the name) and its a luxury flat right in the heart of everything.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:33 PM

Here's Coco's site:
http://www.myhomeindijon.com/

azandfl
Date: 08/13/2006, 03:28 pm
We highly recommend Coco's flat. We have stayed there and it is A+. We hope to return to Dijon and stay there again.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:44 PM

Bonsoir Pal, je suis très heureuse de te lire à nouveau et merci de penser à moi pour les "hotels"!
coco
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:53 PM

Cher Coco: La Haute! Maintenant - Fait dodo toute suite! A demain.
(Do you know what "Un Schmidt" is in young French person's parlance? Sylvain thinks you would?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -