Help me prioritize Copenhagen museums and sights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1.5 day layover in Copenhagen coming up at the end of the month. With museums open 10:00/11:00 - 16:00/17:00, I really have one day, perhaps 1-1.5 hrs the next to see those sights and one evening for looking around.

Several attractions sound worthwhile, so if you have visited these, I'd appreciate your help in prioritizing. I'm thinking of choosing 3 with a 4th if time allows. I'm almost there, I think.
(I enjoy history, architecture, and local culture.)

Rosenborg Slot (open 10:00-16:00)
Nationalmuseet (10:00-17:00)
Kunstindustrimuseet Design museum (11:00-17:00)
Ny Carlsberg Glyptoteket (11:00-17:00)
Frihedsmuseet Resistance (10:00-17:00)

I left Christiansborg Slot and the 15:00 guided tour of reception room off the list. Good idea?
I also left the canal boat tour off (9:15-17:00).

Then in the evening I can walk around Nyhavn, Rathus, past the churches, etc. Any other neighborhood recommendations for low key stroll?
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 03:35 PM

The Resistance Museum is certainly worth a visit. Probably a fairly quick study. We found that an hour is ample. The jewels at Rosenborg are eye candy, of course. Too bad you won't have time to go out to Louisiana..remarkable venue on the sound separating Sweden from Denmark..modern art...location, location, location. Quick and easy train ride from Norreport...hope you can do it.
stu
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 07:11 PM

I would visit Glyptoteke and Thorvaldsen museum (neoclassicistic sculptor who created monumental sculptures of historical and ancient figures).
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Stu and Valtor.

I might have time for an evening ride out of the city just to have a stroll and dinner, but not a daytime visit to a museum outside of the city this time (modern art is not my favorite anyway).

I didn't have the Thorvaldsen on my list, but will read about it again.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 05:56 PM

I would go for Rosenborg and the national museum. Resistance museum is also great. also try to have a look at the rpyal palace and the changing of the guard.

Is Tivoli closed when you arrive? - or that would be by far the best night activity.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 06:47 PM

Tivoli.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 09:27 PM

The resistance museum is the size of a small house. An hour tops.

The national museum is, frankly, just another museum. No 'name' works and nothing that compelling to recommend it over any other big city museum.

The glyptotek and Thorvaldsen are focused collections which offer a different experience from the national museum. I would consider one or both of these.

Personally, I'd stick to Rosenborg, add back the canal tour, walk the Strøget, grab a nice lunch somewhere, check out the marble church, maybe see Christiania and skip most of the museums, unless the weather sucks.

For dinner, avoid the restaurants along Nyhavn. I'd recommend either Nimb brasserie at Tivoli or Kofoed off Store Kongensgade.
Old Sep 25th, 2011, 12:37 AM

I second dinner at www.restaurant-kofoed.dk. For lunch you should of course try our open sandwiches. I recommend www.kanalkafeen.dk and wwww.tivolihallen.dk (not in Tivoli, but across the road) My alltime favourite museum in Copenhagen is www.davidmus.dk Take a stroll in the old streets in the centre, as for Strøgeet, don't walk it, cross it. If you like walkingstreets the one parallel to Strøget called Strædet is much more charming. I think Thorvaldsens museum will take up too much of your time. Go to Frue Kirke on Nørregade. There you will find sculptures of thorvaldsens, Jesus and the 12 apostles. If you like Danish design the easiest way to see it is in www.illumsbolighus.dk a 2 storey shop. If you have time a stroll by the canals in the district Christianshavn is nice. You can walk there over the bridge Knippelsbro or take a bus.