Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Copenhagen and Stockholm, how many days for each?

Sep 7th, 2019, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Hello and thank you in advance for any advice you can give. We (me and my husband (early 70s) and our son (early 40s)) are planning a trip late next May. We would fly Air France Los Angeles-ParisCDG-Copenhagen, arriving there around 2:00pm - saying this as it’s a long flight and I figure the first afternoon is a washout. We love art museums (modern art for two of us), architecture, gardens, history, and have no trouble walking. We don’t want to do a "punch list vacation", and enjoy a morning museum/ relaxing lunch/ rest/ afternoon sightseeing/ light dinner. I know that it won’t be dark until very late and figure we will be walking into the evening. I have bookmarked a few places I think we would enjoy (though if we don’t get to all of them, that’s ok).

Copenhagen: Rosenborg Palace, Christiansborg Palace, Thorvaldesen’s Museum, National Gallery of Denmark. Maybe Chrisiania? And just walking around the city and relaxing! Outside the city the Louisiana Art Museum, perhaps with either Kronberg or Freericksborg Castle. (Forgive me if I’m spelling these incorrectly...). I see that they also have a Viking ship museum, and the National Museum (the Living Museum in Kongevejen).

In Stockholm I’ve bookmarked: Vasa Museum, Skansen!!!, Nobel Museum, Prens Eugens Museum, Swedish History Museum, Royal Palace (I’m interested in the clothing exhibits). I would love to see Carl Larrson paintings. Perhaps a boat trip to an outlying island for a picnic and relaxing day. And just walking around. And eating.

All of that said, how many days should we allot to each city? Are the National Living History Museum and the Viking Ship Museum in Copenhagen redundant - in Stockholm they have Skansen and Vasa. I cannot tell from the websites.

We are debating about spending four or five in Copenhagen, followed by five in Stockholm. We would fly from there to Paris for a few nights, then home.

Thank you for your insights and advice!
Sep 7th, 2019, 10:23 AM

With 9-10 days in Scandinavia I'd be very tempted to add a couple of days in Oslo.

The Viking ships in Oslo are much more impressive than those in Roskilde(not in Copenhagen, but near) and if you're into modern art let me remind you of Munch and Vigeland.

You could take the ferry from Copenhagen to Oslo saving a hotel night in Copenhagen and after Oslo take a train to Stockholm.
Sep 7th, 2019, 10:51 AM
kja

It depends on your preferred pace, but I would think a minimum of 3 days for Copenhagen (not counting your first jet-lagged day), more if you want any day trips (e.g., Roskilde) and at least 5 full days for Stockholm.
Sep 7th, 2019, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks BDKR, I think we were thinking of perhaps doing a trip to Norway and the fjords on another trip. It does look interesting!

Kja, thank you - I should have been more specific: It would be four or five nights in Copenhagen. So that would be three or four full days (as you say, I would not include the arrival afternoon). Is the Louisiana Art Museum a half-day? Would you recommend either castle added on to that journey, or are the palaces, etc., located in Copenhagen enough. If we could see the Louisiana museum on a morning, that might allow us to cut to four nights.

I’m just trying to get some idea! We spent four nights in Amsterdam and thought it was plenty. Our favorite day was out to the living museum in Enkhuisen, actually! That, and the Rijsmuseum and van Gogh.
Sep 7th, 2019, 11:47 AM
kja

Sorry, my only trip outside Copenhagen was to Roskilde, which I do strongly recommend. I thought the Viking Ship Museum there quite wonderful, and very different than the Vasa Museum, and Roskilde also has a stunning Cathedral.
Sep 7th, 2019, 03:36 PM

While in Stockholm I made an easy day trip to Vaxholm. Very charming.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vaxh...ih=852&dpr=1.1
Sep 7th, 2019, 03:41 PM

Because you enjoy modern art, I would recommend you visit the Moderna Museet while in Stockholm. It's easy to get to by public transportation; the bus stops right in front. The setting is lovely, on the small island of Skeppsholmen.
Stockholm also has a fine photography museum, Fotografiska.

My husband and I also enjoyed our tour of Stockholm City Hall, where the Nobel Banquet is held.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_City_Hall

The Louisiana Museum has a beautiful coastal setting and gorgeous grounds with sculptures distributed throughout (the sculpture collection is fabulous). If the weather is pleasant, you might want to spend some time in the cafe admiring the surrounding views. When I visited, they were hosting a vast special exhibition of the paintings of Gabriele Münter, which alone took about an hour to see. In all, I think I spent nearly three hours there. The museum is about a 10-minute walk (easy and well-marked) from Humlebæk Station. This same train line also goes to Helsingor.

While in Copenhagen, you might also enjoy Carlsberg Glyptoteket Museum. The collection is eclectic, spanning from ancient art to French Impressionism. The museum's layout and design are appealing, from the dark basement with its Egyptian mummies to its bright courtyards to its rooftop terrace with its views over Copenhagen.
https://www.glyptoteket.com/

Five days for each city sounds good to me! I agree, save Oslo for a future trip to Norway.

Last edited by Diamantina; Sep 7th, 2019 at 04:12 PM.
Sep 7th, 2019, 04:30 PM

Christiania is not worth a visit IMO, if you want a relaxing walk, there is Rosenborg Castle in Copenhagen, Amalienborg, the fortifications, Kastellet, a walk around the deer park in Bakken, along the seafront at Klampenborg where there are many gorgeous villas. From Louisana you can go to Helsingør and Kronberg Castle, or take the train to Hornbæk which is a seaside town with antique shops, cafes and a nice white sand beach, very nice. Gilleleje further on is known for smoked fish which you can have on rye bread, it is a pretty fishing village.
Or after Louisana you could visit Karen Blixens house in Rungsted. The coastal road north of Copenhagen is really nice, upmarket, scenic. Frederiksborg Castle has beautiful gardens.
In Stockholm, a trip around the archipelago is highly recommended. The Vasa Museum and the Viking Ship Museum in Roskilde are completely different, if you go to Oslo and see the viking ships I wouldn't bother going to Roskilde unless you want to see the cathedral.
Sep 7th, 2019, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thank guys! This is great information! I’m printing it out and bookmarking all the places you’ve suggested.

i have one question /concern about the boat to Vaxholm. My husband and son both get motion sickness. Is the boat ride particularly choppy, or pretty smooth, in your experience?

Thanks!
Sep 7th, 2019, 10:42 PM

Iwan2go, no need to take the ferry. I took the subway from Gamla Stan to Danderys and then a bus to Vaxhom. Buses run every 20 minutes, very pretty scenery. There's a lovely castle in Vaxholm. Inexpensive, too.
Sep 7th, 2019, 11:02 PM

The point of taking the ferry is to see a bit of the archipelago.
Sep 7th, 2019, 11:34 PM

"Is the boat ride particularly choppy, or pretty smooth, in your experience?"

I haven't got any experience, but I guess it depends on the weather, doesn't it.
Sep 8th, 2019, 08:12 AM

We saw the archipelago taking the Silja Line (funny, we were just talking about this to another couple at dinner 2 nights ago, as we'd both done this!) from Stockholm to Helsinki and back (2 nights on the boat, day trip around Helsinki). I mention this to get to the point that my husband does have motion sickness, particularly gets seasick, and he had absolutely no problem at all. Of course, this ship is built like a hotel on water, but we were both on the back deck admiring the views and the water looked like glass. Gorgeous sunset on the water, and husband was happy.
Sep 8th, 2019, 08:46 AM
mms

We enjoyed walking around Christiania. The houses were really interesting, and I bought a great pair of hand knit socks from one of the vendors there, lol. It is an interesting place for an hour or so, and we are glad we went, FWIW.
Sep 9th, 2019, 01:09 AM

My husband and I caught the Waxholmbologet ferry from the dock in front of Stockholm's Grand Hotel to Vaxholm during a busier time of year (Midsummer). No reservations were needed. There was a ton of room on our ferry and there were frequent ferry sailings. We bought our tickets right onboard. You can wait to decide on the day if the conditions look too rough or windy for your husband and son. I suggest, if it's too windy, wait until the next day or the day after that.
We had a smooth trip on calm seas. We sailed through, not the open ocean, but the inner archipelago dotted with islands that, I would think, act like a barrier for any Baltic Sea swells.Once, we felt the wake from a much larger passing ferry, but otherwise it was very smooth sailing.
I also suffer from seasickness and felt no discomfort, but if your husband and son are especially vulnerable, I suggest seasickness medication. Because it's a lovely and easy trip.

Last edited by Diamantina; Sep 9th, 2019 at 01:11 AM.