Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help me plan out my 10 day, 9 nights trip to Greece please

Old Jun 20th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, so I have made my decision to go to Greece instead of Spain this year. So far from reading many of great trip reports, I think I want to stay 3 nights in santorini, and 2 nights in Athens at the end of the trip. So there're 4 nights left right now I don't know where to go. Maybe 2 nights in mykonos and 2 nights Naxos? or just 4 nights at 1 island and make a day trip?
Or the 3rd option is to spend 4 nights in Santorini, but the 4th night at a beach location, instead of the cliff hotels, since the cliff view comes with a high price.
Paros, Naxos, and Mykonos looks great, not sure what to pick. I hear that Mykonos is a party island, and things are more expensive? Dh and I are not looking to go clubbing during this vacation, more like sitting at a bar for some drinks after sunset, with some music or soemthing. With that said, since Santorini will be more expensive already, which island can I go, that will be have slightly cheaper hotels, some history, and def some beaches?

thanks =)
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 04:14 AM

Either Paros or Naxos would fit what you're looking for perfectly. The port town of Naoussa (sp??) in Paros is beyond picturesque, has tons of seafood restaurants, and a very active bar/music scene on the water that goes well into the morning hours. It's not party central the way Mykonos was, but is known for having excellent nightlife.

The port city of Parikia is a congested transportation center, but it is also home to the Byzantine church of 100 doors, the famous Panagia Cathedral. The story is that Saint Helen stopped in Paros on her way to the Holy Land. The church supposedly contains fragments of the real cross. Anyway, it's beautiful inside, very ornate, and has a lovely garden, so well worth a visit. Parking is very difficult. We wound up leaving the car about a ten minute walk from town in the supermarket lot.

About beaches: We spent several wonderful days on Golden Beach, which is home to the windsurfing championships. It's about a fifteen minute drive from Naoussa, (spelling??) and is one of the prettiest beaches I've seen in Greece. Obviously, it can be very windy, but there was an August-type heat wave while we visited, and we welcomed the breeze. There are a couple of restaurants right on the beach, along with umbrellas/chairs to rent, which makes for a very pleasant day. A long lunch at the Golden Beach hotel is a great way to spend part of the day and get out of the sun for a bit. The food was excellent.

In Naxos, we had very little time, so spent it all in Naxos Town. We stayed at The Nissaki Beach Hotel, which was really beautiful, very small family-owned hotel right on St. George Beach. The beach is more of a bay- very shallow for a long way out- but it runs about a half mile or so in a curve along the town. There are better beaches just beyond it, but we only had a day to spend and unfortunately didn't get to them between the heat and lack of car. I wish we had! Anyway, would highly recommend the hotel we stayed in, or if you need something cheaper right in town, Hotel Glaxos next door, although not sure if they have AC. Town is a quick ten minute walk ( if that) from both these hotels.

Naxos town has a fantastic old town to explore, plus the famous Portera ( spelling???), the Gate of Apollo, which is on top of a small mountain with gorgeous water views/sunsets (!!) all around. We didn't think Naxos town was nearly as pretty as Naoussa in Paros, but that's probably because we didn't have time to further explore the best beaches, or the interior of the island.

Both islands are linked by a a short ferry ride ( about an hour). I would recommend renting a car for either island.

I'm not a fan of two-night stays, because just as you're settling in, you need to pack up and leave again. So I would recommend a four night stay on either island, and maybe a day trip from one to the other. Have a great time in Greece! We're already hoping to go back!!.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 04:18 AM

Just wanted to add that we spent a week on Mykonos two years ago, and much prefer Paros/Naxos. That's probably because we visited in July, and it was mob scene EVERYWHERE we went.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 07:33 AM

I would agree with Weadles. Naxos or Paros are perfect companion islands to Santorini. They are more laid back and far less expensive. I would also agree that whatever island you choose, stay there the whole time. You lose so much time on an island hop even one as short as Naxos to Paros. You can easily chew up a half day by checking out of your hotel waiting for the ferry the ferry ride and then finding a hotel on the next island.
Weadles indicated they stayed on St George beach and I also highly recommend that area. It is a good beach (there are better beaches 7km away on the south coast) but St George is directly adjacent to Naxos town and there is so much to see and do there. The great thing is it is far enough away from the action on the waterfront in town that it is quiet at night. We listened to music thumping away until 3am the last time we stayed in Nauossa and learned an important lesson about quiet locations.
By the way the hotel beside Nassaki is where we normally stay, Hotel Glaros which is a c class hotel so it is a less expensive option.
To tempt you here are some pictures of our recent visit to Naxos town.
http://travel.webshots.com/album/577942756YgKLfl
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 07:37 AM

I would go to Syros for 3 days. Very close to Naxos and Paros Quiet island (not like Mykonos) but very cosmopolitan. Very picturesque old town, nice buildings in the bew town, astonishing view from the hills above the town (which is the capital of Cyclades), crystal clear waters and a very small island: if you have a car you can see it all in just a couple of days.
More info: http://www.syros.com.gr/
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 09:24 AM

Hi again!

I don't know anything about the noise in Naoussa because we stayed at a friend's house in Ampelas. ( I really have to figure out the spelling of these names!) It's a very quiet fisherman's village for now, but who knows what will happen in a few years since it's about a five minute drive from the heart of Nauossa. There were two small hotels and a couple of restaurants, a tiny church, and a much tinier beach. That's it. We found it very easy to navigate Paros from that location, but that may be because we visited at the end of May/early June. Golden Beach, which we really loved was a short drive from our house.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 09:33 AM

Mykonos is a wonderful island, and by September the party scene will be completely over. It's the best island to base yourself for a visit to Delos (only 30 minutes by excursion boat), although you can take a day trip there from Paros or Naxos. From Naxos the day trip lasts 10 hours, much of it at sea in a small boat.

Paros and Naxos will be quiet after the first week of September, and this is when many people prefer to visit those islands. I am sitting on Antiparos now, looking across the strait to the island of Paros, with the setting sun reflecting on the mountains.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

So are Paros and Naxos almost the same? I narrowed it down to these 2 island. we will skip mykonos this trip.
Also how long do I need for Athens? I can either take the 9am ferry out or the sunset ferry to athen which will get there by 11pmish. Morning ferry will leave me the rest of that evening and 1 full day, or the 11pm ferry will only give me 1 full day. Our flight back to US is at 1pm so the day we are leaving, not much time to do anything.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 07:37 AM

Paros and Naxos are quite similar and either would fit your requirements. Our favourite is Naxos but having said that we spent an absolutely lovely day on Paros in late May this year.
Naxos has a concentration of activities around Naxos town including several excellent beaches on the west coast about 7km from town.
Here are some pictures of Naxos
These are a different album than the one I posted earlier.
http://travel.webshots.com/album/570796960FtMsPF

As for Athens, the Plaka area is well worth some time so I would opt to take the earlier ferry and give yourself a day and a half.
I am still working on my Athens pictures so they are disorganized and not properly labeled but they will give you an idea of what you can see in this area.
http://travel.webshots.com/album/
Enjoy your trip
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 09:02 AM

Paros and Naxos each have their advocates, and you can't go wrong with either. Naxos is a little easier, because you don't have to decide which part of the island to stay (most people stay in Naxos Town or one of the nearby beach resorts). If you are travelling in September, it would be wise to stay somewhere in Naxos Town.

Paros has two major settlements: Parikia, the port town, and Naoussa, the picturesque former fishing village, now gone over mostly to tourism. The fishing boats in the harbor are real, though, and still used by their owners.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 11:03 AM

I had the exact same itinerary last year. I had someone put a package together for me and the island I was least pleased with was Mykonos. If you're not looking to go clubbing and spend 15 euros on a drink that I would recommend maybe replacing Mykonos with Milos. Milos is not too far from Santorini and it's just as beautiful.

Just a suggestion
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 06:39 AM

bookmarking!
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 06:06 AM

Bookmarking