Mykonos or Naxos in late Sep. Couple in our 50s

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2017, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for advice to help me to make a decision. Flights booked to Mykonos mid Sep 18, just for a week, thinking of spending only one or two nights in Mykonos and 5 nights on Naxos. We are really interested in great beaches, walking, good food and a choice of bars with atmosphere, so.not too quiet.
If I have the mix of nights okay?....where should we stay for one/two nights b & b,apartment style, mid range budget on Mykonos central to town and similar question for Naxos, although we would like good access to beach.
Your expertise and insights much appreciated
Old Oct 27th, 2017, 04:37 AM

There are good beaches not too far away from Naxos town (Ayos Georgios is even at walking distance) and Mykonos town. Buses will run even in late September, when the season will be more or less over.
Old Oct 27th, 2017, 07:27 AM

It may not be worth the effort to go to Mykonos for 1 or 2 nights then get to Naxos. If it was me I would spend my entire time on Naxos, the largest of the Cyclades Islands. Tons of things to do, see and experience.

Naxos offers some of the best of Old & New World Greece.

We stayed in St. George Beach, just a short walk from the waterfront and Old Town.

Every time you move from one island to another eats up time and time is valuable on holiday. With your short stay of one week it's better to stick to one location and fully experience and let soak in your time there . . . that would be Naxos.
Old Oct 27th, 2017, 09:14 AM

Obviously if you are flying in and out of Mykonos you will have to spend one or two nights there. If you have any interest in archeological sites, try to get to Delos while on Mykonos. You may be able to get a ferry to Naxos the same day as your flight arrives on Mykonos. If so, recommend the last two nights on Mykonos to insure no problems with ferries before the flight home.
Old Oct 27th, 2017, 09:29 AM

Regarding places to stay, I agree with neckervd that you should look for somewhere to stay both in Mykonos Town and Naxos Town. It’s easy to reach the beaches by bus on both islands, and there is more to do in town in the evenings than at the beach resorts. Most accommodation in Naxos Town is in the Agios Georgios area, but there are hotels near the castle as well.
Old Oct 27th, 2017, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your practical suggestions. I will now stay just one night in Mykonos, purely because we arrive at 8pm and there arent any late ferries. I will be looking at Naxos town hotels now. Your replies have really helped me, thanks.