Help me narrow down apartments in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me narrow down apartments in Rome

<please>

Good Morning All,

I've narrowed my choices down to a few, and was wondering if anyone could give me their opinions on the apartments and locations. We want to be centrally located, with walking distance of cafes/shops.

http://sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_pellegrinobis.html

http://sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_%20vacche.html

http://sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_purificazione.html

http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/Ita...ity/p64846.htm

We like the idea of the terrace in the first two.

Thanks for everyone's help!
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for the double-post earlier. Topping this one to avoid confusion.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 05:45 AM

Krunko,

They all look nice, but I'm leaning towards the second one myself. The terrace and apartment both look lovely, and I love the location. We stayed in an apartment in this area in March and truly loved it. There are great non-touristy restaurants and cafes nearby, and you are within a few minutes walk of Piazza Navona.

Good luck!
Tracy
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Yes, the second one is the one that was suggested by the contact at sleepinitaly. I don't think I can find a hotel in an area such as this for around $192, which is what this one averages out to be a night.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 08:02 AM

Hello -- I stayed in the Vacche apartment this June. I don't regret staying there, but also had mixed feelings about it. On the positive side, the location and terrace are wonderful, and those are the reasons we chose it. And the AC worked great, which was necessary in June! It was a very good value. But... (1) the apartment itself is a bit dreary and dated, the furnishings really could use some updating. Second, the kitchen wall has some water damage which really should be repaired. Third, it was noisier than I anticipated. Now, I know all of Rome is noisy, but this is on the first floor, the bedroom faces this street which gets a fair amount of local and pedestrian traffic. Most seriously, directly under the apartment is a strange (for Rome) bar (the alcohol drinking kind)that only opened (sporadically) later at night, 10 or 11, with loud pounding juke box
music. We needed earplugs to sleep (and that worked fine). Before I would consider staying there again, or recommending it to anyone, I would insist in finding out the status of that bar operation; it didn't seem to do a lot of business so it very well could be closed by now.

If it was me, knowing nothing else, I think I would go for the first one, because it looks brighter, is higher up, and has a washing machine, which the Vacche apt does not.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 09:11 AM

I like the <b>first one</b> also. Could also like the second but for possible noise issues. The third is not as well located as the other three. The fourth one looks strange (to me anyway).
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm, that's strange news about the bar. While I would be welcome to have a bar that close (we tend to drink every now and then), I could definitely do without loud music.

Aparently, I was wrong in that the first one I mention is not available. It is a different apartment that I am not as enthused about.

Guess I might need to do some more research, even though pickings are getting slim.

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 10:43 AM

There are bars/cafes everywhere in Rome, and several others on vicolo delle vacche. You should ask Giulia (at sleepinitaly) if the bar below that unit is still open, I had the sense that there was a lot of flux in the businesses at the ground level on that section of the street.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 11:15 AM

Hi Krunko,

I'm not sure what your criteria is but how about this one? http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/ap...bachetti1.html

We stayed here in May 2004 - great location however there are stairs to climb.

Or there is this one too that I have stayed at: http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_panico.html

Neither of these are top of the line quality however both were very nice and had what I needed so far as location &amp; comfort. I wish you luck in your search. When is your trip?
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

That one's not available, but a different coronari is:

http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_%20coronari.html

This one might be good, although it doesn't have the terrace, which I was liking. Although, to be honest, I can't imagine I should be spending much time sitting on our terrace when we're halfway around the world...should at least be at a cafe sitting to be able to people watch.

We'll be there in late October.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 12:55 PM

Looks like it has lots of windows though. When we were there in the Coranari one I mentioned, we were always looking out the windows. I do like the looks of that link you just gave.

Rome in Oct - how perfect!
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 01:27 PM

The first apt. is cute, but the terrace is what sold me..
Reguarding the apt. in Via delle Vacche, I read an article about it, which is not very flattering..

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...55C0A9629C8B63

I have npt checked the other apts, yet..
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 01:28 PM

It does look nice and the location is excellent. The terrace would be nice, but not nearly as nice as enjoying Rome itself by exploring the neighborhoods!

Tracy
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 01:43 PM

kismet,

I thought the NY times article WAS flattering. The only &quot;negative&quot; was that there are no concierge services - which should have been obvious to the author as it's an apt. and not a hotel.

Krunko,

The new Via Coronari apt. looks fantastic - even without a terrace...

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 02:14 PM

Mea Culpa Bardo..you are right..I must have read another article about that apartment.
Please Krunko discard what I posted earlier...
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 02:17 PM

The NYTimes article also convinced me to stay there. But in the two years interim (1) there is serious water damage in the kitchen, so that the wall is all crumbly and (2) that downstairs bar! Which no doubt was not there two years earlier.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Turns out the bar is still beneath the Vacche apartment, however, the person (very nice) at sleepinitaly mentioned she's only heard one complaint about it. She also said the most noisy times are in the summer when the tables outside are full. She said if it was unbearable, we could move to a different apartment (although I'm not sure how much better a last minutes apartment would be).

I'm still leaning toward Vacche. I suppose if we go down and close the bar every night, we won't have a problem!

Speaking of...do bars/pubs have set closing times over there as they do in the US?