Help Me Find a Paris Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2004, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to Paris the end of May 2005, and need some hotel reviews. I am planning ahead because I think the French Open Tennis Tournament will bring lots of travelers. What does anyone think of Hotel Du Cadran? It is near the Eiffel Tower and within my 150 EUR budget. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 04:59 AM
ira

Hi pf,

Sorry, haven't heard about this hotel.

Have you also looked at www.tripadvisor.com?

You can also enter "Paris Hotel" in the 'search this forum' box for many suggestions.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:35 AM

A simple search for "Cadran" will yield these reviews/comments:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34490360

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34473094
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 06:23 AM

We have stayed at the Cadran appox. 15 times over the years and have never been disappointed. Our last visit was in Jan. 2004. The staff is wonderful and quite helpful and the location can not be beat. The rooms are small as are most Parisian hotels and the whole place is spotless. Highly recommended. There are many good restaurants within walking distance as well as the rue Cler market less than 200 feet away. Drop in on the Epicerie Fine next door and drool at the goodies. Say hello to Pascal and take some suff back home as souvenirs, presents and treats for your stomach. The hotel is less than 5 min. from the Metro (Ecole Militaire) and an easy walk to the Seine or the E. Tower. Also don't forget the #69 bus which is close by and whose route is a tour of Paris by itself. The staff can help you with all the details. Good luck and Bon Voyage.

P.S. The Cadran has AC if ou need it.
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the responses. I first started my quest for a Paris hotel using Trip Advisor. I had several hotels I was looking into. Then I learned about Fodors and learned much, much more. Fodors responses to other postings lead me to the area near Rue Cler market. That is when Hotel Du Cadran was located. Thank you PaulR for your reply. That was just what I was looking for. If anyone else has additional comments about Hotel Du Cadran, please reply. Thank you
Old Oct 22nd, 2004, 10:02 AM

I don't know the hotel, but if you want more info on rue Cler, try looking at the ricksteves.com website as he loves the area.

I have a long file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 09:37 AM

We stayed at Hotel Le St. Maurice when we were in Paris last summer. It was very nice, outside the city, but a very short walk to the metro, which will quickly take you into the heart of the city. The room was small, but normal for European standards. It was clean, we had a private bathroom, and the staff was very helpful and friendly. There is also a grocery store near the hotel, but only a couple decent restaurants. We wanted to eat in the city anyway. We would definitely stay there again, and it was less than 100Eu/night. You can read reviews of it on TripAdvisor.com and put it in the search engine to book.
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 05:26 PM

We stayed at the Franklyn Roosevelt Hotel in Paris. Breakfast was 15 euros but a very nice buffet. This small hotel is in a great area. The concierge was very helpful. We faxed our dinner reservation choices and all reservations were made for us.

The hotel was quiet and friendly. My husbands friend recommended it and we were quite pleased. Bathrooms were small but new fixtures and marble. Good Luck.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 04:27 AM

Sorry, I will again recommend you the Hotel Saint Dominique( www.saintdominique.com)... but I was always so happy with this hotel....It's really a good hotel, 2 star but so many services and a staff so wonderful!Ther location is great because you are in an area where there are a lot of restaurants, the Rue Cler Market is not far away too...!Personally, I don't know the Hotel du Cadran...but it seems to have good reviews...
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 08:27 AM

I'll simply rephrase my comments from one of the threads Travelnut cited.
Good points: location, pretty salon, pleasant toile de jouy decor in the bedrooms, friendly and helpful staff (particularly Isabelle), lovely views of the Eiffel Tower from top floor rooms (you must ask for an Eiffel Tower view and get that confirmed by email or fax).
Not so good points: Rooms are small, even by Parisian standards (however, everything is laid out well and the attractive bathrooms are spacious enough). This is fine if you are not bringing a lot of luggage. If you've got big suitcases, you might feel a little cramped unless you can persuade reception to store them in the hotel's luggage closet on the ground floor. The mattresses are FIRM. If you like a firm mattress, then this is a good point, if you like a softer mattress, you may find them too hard.

Are you planning to attend the French Open yourself? If so, you should look into some of the moderately priced hotels in the Auteuil neighborhood of the 16th (an upscale residential neighborhood with several shops, restaurants, etc. and outstanding outdoor food market), which is within walking distance of the French open venue. The Queen's Hotel is popular and welcoming (some rooms even have jacuzzis). It was a 2 star hotel but I read somewhere that it was being upgraded to 3 star status.