Help me book an Amalfi Coast hotel/inn?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have booked all of my Europe inn's for our early October trip, except Amalfi/Positano.. I am torn between a few places. Can you help me decide?

Must haves: Private balcony with view of sea & town (I want to wake and fall asleep to a beautiful view from the balcony of the sun rising over the sea, or the lights twinkling over the town)

Besides the view from the balcony, we would like it to be clean, and have a private bathroom and be close walking distance to restaurants/shops.

We have narrowed it down to one of the following:

Hotel Tramonto D'Oro (can book this with our frequent flyer miles)

Le Sirene Positano (the small restaurant/inn on the private beach, not the one in Praiano - has ocean views, but does it have town views?)

Hotel La Pergola (can also book this with our freq. flyer miles, but not sure about the balcony views from here being as good)

Venus Inn B&B (confused about the "shared but private" terrace people keep mentioning.. is it shared or private?)

Best Western Pasitea (can also book with freq flyer miles, views look decent? possibly not near local attractions?)

Camere Con Vista (People comment that the owner is offsite and rude? views look good and so does proximity?)

So there you have it...... I don't seem to have one that stands out above the rest. I also have a few vacation rental apartments I've checked out that seem okay. Obviously cost is a factor (unless it's freq flyer miles, we need to keep it to around 100Euro Per night).

Thank you!
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 08:16 AM
ira

Hi ooo,

>Le Sirene Positano (the small restaurant/inn on the private beach, not the one in Praiano ...<

We were very happy with our stay at the one in Praiano. www.lesirene.com.

Room 12 has a lovely, very private balcony looking out over the Med and the sunrise.

At night you can watch the lights of the cruise ships going by.

There is a very nice view of Positano from the church plaza, a short walk up from the hotel.

Rates are definitely in your range, bkfst included.

I don't think that the Le Sirene in Positano is 100E/nite

Old Sep 4th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Le Sirene in Positano is 100/E a night as well. I liked that it had a private beach, and you could take a free water taxi to get the Positano which seemed fun. But I haven't read many reviews of people staying there, and if the actual room balconies were nice and had views of town or just the sea.

Sirene in Praiano looks nice as well.. but I am not a fan of Praiano in general due to the proximity to restaurants/shops and being a little far away from things it sounds like? Or am I wrong?
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 10:08 AM

Ira is thinking of this one--a bit more $$$
http://www.sirenuse.it/en/19/the-hotel.aspx
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 01:41 PM
ira

Thank you, Bob.

I had the wrong hotel.
Hey ood,

You're correct that Prainao is not lively.

It does have the Orange Bus that will take you to/from Positano, but I don't recall when it stops running at night.

You could well be right avoiding it.

Old Sep 4th, 2011, 02:02 PM

We have stayed in the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th. We much prefer the 7th and don't find it boring at all. We eat at the restaurants listed by St. Cirq. Most bakeries in Paris have great pastries, so just look in the window and then go in a buy.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 03:45 PM

Um, you can;t see the sun rising over the sea - The Amalfi Coast is on the WEST coast of italy - all you can see is the sun setting.

Can't help with those hotel - not in our price point.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 04:01 PM

oodsie,

Can't comment on the hotels, but the beach area in Positano isn't that great. So if you're basing a hotel on that, you might want to think again. The public beach in Positano, FYI, is very grainy, and the water feels more lake-like than sea-like, if that makes any sense. Can't imagine that the hotel has something that much better. Most people in the area swim off their boats, off the rocks, or at private coves along the coast.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Nope - not basing it on beaches at all.. We aren't beach people and will MAYBE go once for a couple hours during the trip. Soley basing the decision off of proximity to things to do/see and most importantly a private balcony with an awesome and relaxing/romantic view.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

NYtraveler - thanks. i wasn't thinking. anyhow, my point was just more generalized that we want to wake up and eat breakfast on the balcony to a beautiful view, and go to sleep at night looking at the twinkling lights.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 07:31 PM

ooodsie, I just looked at a map, and it seems that Hotel Western Pasitea is probably half-way up the hill from town/beach, to the left of the sea if you're standing with your back to the water. That's close to where we usually stay-- Hotel Poseidon-- and if so, you'll have a gorgeous view if you get a room facing the water. However... it is about 500 steps give or take back and forth to town. ( I'm assuming you've heard about the staircases that go down to the beach/town area.)

It looks like there is a bus either just outside that hotel or very close, so if you don't want to walk it, that could be a decent option. I'm sure you know already that Positano is very small, so most of the restaurants, shops, beach, etc. are fairly close together once you're down the hill.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 06:42 AM

Hi,

I stayed at the Tramonto D’Oro for a week a few years ago. I love this hotel. There are rooms with balconies that look over the sea and Positano. The owners are lovely.

Yipper
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 06:50 AM
ira

>Um, you can;t see the sun rising over the sea - The Amalfi Coast is on the WEST coast of italy - all you can see is the sun setting.<

Check your map. Praiano faces both SW and SE.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 10:22 AM

Yes - but Amalfi and Positano don't -- and that's what the OP was asking about.

And are you telling me that from Praiano you can see all the way across Italy to see the sun rise over the sea?
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Okay.. like I said - forget my comment about the sun setting/rising. I just want a good view! Back to suggesting hotels with awesome views please?
Old Sep 6th, 2011, 11:59 AM
ira

Hey nyt,

>And are you telling me that.....

I'm not trying to tell you anything, since you don't want to hear it.

I have a photo that I took of the sunrise from our room at Le Sirene in Praiano.

I just checked with maps.google. It is still on the Amalfi Coast.

Have a nice day.

Old Sep 7th, 2011, 04:45 AM

If you want to go a little south of Amailfi, you can go to the Hotel Cetus in Cetara. It is a very nice hotel with little balconies and a great sunrise view. I have pictures. We have stayed there 5 or 6 times and it is always a pleasure.
The Amalfi Coast is on the western side of the Italian Peninsula, but it is not a straight line and has twists and turns so some areas can see East.
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 04:57 AM

http://www.expedia.com/Amalfi-Coast-...-Western.0-0-d

Pasitea amalfi was great from $100 for me in May sea view

www.hoteldelfino.com $60 plus 10 euro sea view www.otel.com

Best views food of my trip...

In the past when my budget was better and I was stupider

www.hotelsantacaterina.it awesome hotel awesome price
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 04:59 AM

My wife and I have stayed at the Best Western, (twice) and my wife is fussy about cleanliness, mattress comfort and especially the view. We have returned after an initial week and will do so again. Yes, it is about half way up the hill with simply a GREAT view, but walk the road instead of the stairs, you will see more of everything. Nice patio decks off of the rooms, you should have your choice in Oct., just check out a room before choosing.

Positano

Saraceno d’Oro *****
Via Pasitea, 254

Trattoria La Tagliata *****
Via Tagliata, 22
(39) 089 875 872

Trattoria E Pizzeria ***
C’era una Volta
Via Marconi 127/133
Old Sep 7th, 2011, 05:02 AM

In May to visit Pompeii also stayed at this old Brit resort

views not as great but easy to tour from...

http://www.hotels.com/.../hotel-maje...sorrento-italy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -