HELP! LAST MINUTE TRIP TO PARIS AND NEED HOTEL

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. My husband and I are off to Paris on Friday 10th October for 3 nights and have no hotel booked!!! I've tried all the recommended hotels on this site but obviously at this late stage they're all booked. Can anyone recommend an Ibis or other chain that we could try. Looking for reasonable hotel in nice location close to restaurants, cafes etc. First trip to Paris so not sure what area to stay in. All suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 01:00 PM

Hi,

I looked at TripAdvisor and the Timhotel Jardins des Plantes has vacancies. Chaim=n hotel, but good. Location is good, left bank, near university of Paris, one long block from Seine, not far from Metro, brasseries and patisserie across the street, near Roman arena (Lutece). About a 10-15 minute walk to Notre Dame. Rooms are clean, bit small. For a last minute deal, looks good to me (I stayed in Dec 2001). Price looks good.

I can recommend some restaurants nearby..

Have a look....

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...de_France.html
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 01:03 PM

We will be in Paris from Oct. 28-Nov.1 and will be staying at the Hotel Madison on the left bank, Blvd. St. Germain to be exact. It was highly recommended. We'll be paying 210E/night. Full breakfast is included
http://www.hotel-madison.com
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 01:15 PM

Why don't you try the sites for Holiday Inn, Best Western or Hilton? You can check availability easily and book quickly. These are not always 'cookie-cutter' replicas of American hotels (but can be)... look for locations with a Paris zipcode ending in 04, 05, 06, 07 or 14 to be in areas most frequently visited. The metro system is very good, and many areas are quite walkable, so you will have no trouble reaching many restaurants, etc.

Then, while you are there, you can scope out a few "Parisian" hotels that will appeal to you on your next visit!
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 05:20 PM
rex

Try www.webscapades.com

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 06:03 PM

YOu might try the Libertel hotel chain, it is a French chain and has many smaller, typically French hotels. It is reliable quality, I think they are at www.libertel-hotels.com

I stayed at the 2* LIbertel near the Censier metro (bottom of Latin Quarter) last July and was very favorably impressed with this hotel, the quality and services and room, and it might not be as booked up as many others (certainly not the ones you'll find recommended so often on here and in guidebooks). I think it might be nicer than an Ibis, but get the biggest room you can, because the rooms are typically small, of course, as for any cheaper 2* hotel. I thought it was just as nice as the Muguet, for example, which is recommended a lot. In some ways, I think it was better as it had a minibar, and was the same price or a little cheaper. It's right near rue Mouffetard and lots of restaurants and cafes.

The room was fine for a single person, about the same size as the Muguet, but for a couple I would want a larger room, if possible. I don't recall what level I booked there, as I wouldn't have tried to get the best or largest room.

You might try www.paris-hotels.com or www.france.com, I think they both list availabilities by date.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 08:09 AM

Last time we did this, we booked an hour before our flight at the Holiday Inn near montparnasse. It was actually a great little hotel, despite our reluctance to stay in an American chain in europe.

I also love TimHotel Louvre/Palais Royale, if they have rooms, stay there. Have a fun trip!
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 08:16 AM

Libertel is a chain of Accor. http://www.accor.com
You can look up various chains that Accor has.
Some of the Internet rates are excellent.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 10:05 AM
susancoleman

if I were lucky enough for a "spur of the moment offer"...(i.e., e-saver ticket PLUS the time off) I'd log on to "laterooms.com"... I notice they only have rates available for about the future 2 weeks..
probably all booked because of the haute coutour shows and isn't there a huge auto show the first 2 weeks of October?

Old Oct 7th, 2003, 06:27 AM

By now if you still need a hotel call Best Western and ask about the Bradford Hotel in the 8th. We had their largest room last spring and it was 178 E. It is an older charming 4*hotel and not what you'd think of as a Best Western. Next try the Regina 4* in the 1st, it will be about 250E. The Brighton 3*,and Mansart,3* are also in this area. The last three hotels have websites so you can contact them directly. Good Luck.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 01:18 PM

Christina
do you know the name of your Libertel hotel--there are so many in Paris.
I'm interested in further researching it.
thanks
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 02:07 PM

sure, it is the LIbertel Maxim at 28, rue Censier. I think I paid 80 euro for a small double last summer.

Here is their link within Libertel:

http://www.mercure.com/mercure/fiche...he_hotel.shtml

I booked directly with the hotel by using the email on that page. However, I think this hotel is the only 2* hotel in the Latin Qtr listed on Priceline, and some other guy on here said he got it that way for only about 60 euro. The bathrooms are really nice, and the general decor etc is also, as I said.

The web site shows a very nice room in the "attic", it appears (mansard roof) and my room wasn't as nice as that, but that would be a good idea to try to get. Actually, my room didn't look too different from those photos, it just wasn't that large. Mine was only on the 2nd floor or so right on the front of the hotel, and there was some street noise, of course, in the summer with the windows open. It wasn't terrible later on, but there's an Italian restaurant kind of under it next door where a lot of neighborhood folks go out and have fun (which was actually pretty good, I ate there once).

I stayed there because I was renting an apt. just around the corner and needed an extra night after departing it before I was leaving town, so just picked the closest hotel I could walk to quickly with my luggage that was decent. I knew Libertels were reliable quality, and I was quite pleased with it. There is the Censier metro only about one block away.

I'm not saying it was anything fancy, of course, but it was pleasant and good value for that price and a good place for a few days. The only real thing "wrong" with it (other than no AC in the heat wave) was my room was rather small, as usual at that price. There were some nice service touches there, such as free Pariscopes, etc., that I haven't seen many places -- excellent bathrooms, cable TV and comfortable bed, the usual. Some folks in the hallway were kind of noisy coming in late at night, also, but a hotel can't control that too well. It had a nice, large elevator.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 03:06 PM

Try hotel etoile de maillot...it is over by the embassies, but very close to a metro stop and the arc de triomphe...the neighborhood has stores, restaurants, and is very quiet and quaint,( i think it is boarding on the high rent district) they have reasonable rates. we have stayed here twice. they are very helpful and friendly without being bothersome.
Old Oct 7th, 2003, 03:09 PM

Emcor- I just tried www.bookings.fr and they appear to have an ample supply of rooms- some at reduced rates. Try to stay in the 5th, 6th, 7th, or 8th district. It looks like www.Parishotels.com also has some rooms for the time period you are going-
Enjoy