Help choosing b/w 2 Positano hotels!

Mar 29th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Help choosing b/w 2 Positano hotels!

Hi! I'm trying to choose b/w 2 hotels in Positano. I've read the reviews on TripAdvisor, but still can't figure out whether the Euro 100 difference in price per night is worth it to choose Albergo Miramare over Villa Gabrisa...thoughts??

Albergo Miramare - Ranked #2 of 43 on TripAdvisor
Superior double room with private bathroom, sea view and terrace-daily rate of Euro 250 including breakfast, service and tax

Villa Gabrisa - Ranked #3 of 43 on TripAdvisor
Double standard-daily rate of Euro 150
or Suite-daily rate of Euro 210
Mar 29th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

a
Mar 30th, 2009, 03:43 AM

Have you checked out the Hotel California? I was a bit leary considering the name, but the accomodations were reasonable and beautiful when we were there two years ago.
Apr 14th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

anyone have any thoughts on the above...i'm still trying to choose b/w the same two hotels! since i'll be staying minimum 3 nights, the price foes make a difference...but i want to make sure we're staying in a nice enough place in the better location. please send all thoughts. thanks!
Apr 15th, 2009, 12:53 PM

I stayed at the Albergo Miramare while in Positano, not in the main hotel, but in the annex. If you search the forums for the names of the two hotels you are bound to find a lot of people that have stayed at both.

The Miramare was very nice, with an accomodating staff and was well located. It is not too far from the main beach, but far enough up on the hillside to have great views. Our room in the annex was a bit dark, and sparsely furnished (though I've heard the rooms in the main building are much nicer). The bed was 2 singles pushed together - really annoying but also really typical in Europe as that ended up happening to us in several of the hotels we stayed at. Though the room itself was not totally spectacular - the view most definetly was. We had a private balcony with lounge chairs and a small table with dining chairs. We spent many an evening sitting out and enjoying watching the boats coming in and out of port.

The Miramare had breakfast in the mornings - which was very nice. Served in a room with windows overlooking the sea.

The best part about the Miramare, was they offered a free 1/2 day boat trip up the coast included in your stay. I don't know if they still do this, as I went 5 years ago! But it was completely fantastic. We set out on a little wooden boat with an older gentleman captain who spoke no English. He sailed along the coast and out to a little island. He broke out snorkle gear and we snorkled around. When we got back on the boat he showered us off - and then magically produced a bowl of fresh fruit and wine !! Seriously, it was like one of the most romantic few hours of my life. And it was very unexpected, I thought we would be crammed on the boat with a million people, but it was just the 2 of us. Again, I don't know if they still do this, or if they got a bigger boat that fits more people, or what. But that boat trip made our stay at the Miramare.

I would recommend the Miramare (especially because of the boat trip). But there are a lot of nice hotels in Positano - all of which you can search for here to see many reviews. As long as you have a room with a balcony you should be happy. The view is what you come to Positano for!!